Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASCAR take-off lexan windshields on a 944?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:11 AM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default NASCAR take-off lexan windshields on a 944?

Someone locally mentioned finding a source for the Lexan windshields that NASCAR tends to use for one race and then get rid of on the cheap--and that it was easy to cut them down to size to use on a 944.

I, being a big stupidhead, forgot to ask where he found such a thing. Has anyone here ever done that and if so, where'd you buy them?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of thoughts:
1. I have used Race City Race Parts for a few things, and have been pleased with what I got.
2. Roush Racing now runs a used parts business, some things on consignment from other teams, some from them. A guy named Todd English runs the store, 704-360-1336. You might try them.
3. I know a guy who had done this before this year. This year, it may be trickier. Teams used to buy a sheet, and cut to fit. NASCAR has now created the official Lexan Windshield Supplier of NASCAR, from whom teams must now buy to-fit windshields (at a cost of $900 versus $200). They may be molded to shape, too (the friend of mine who is an engineer with Germain didn't get into that detail when we were talking about how NASCAR is making it harder and harder on small teams). If they are, that may make it less feasible than it used to be.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:28 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I think I might have an extra.

I bought a handful when we ordered them for our chumps.

When you buy them used -- you really need to buy 3 or 4 and pick the one in best
shape -- they tend to be of varying conditions.

I'll be at the shop Tuesday night -- time to test the 951 engine after its rebuild.

m
Old 08-26-2013, 12:27 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike, how much you want for that extra? No shipping FTW.

We're looking at swapping in the old car's engine this weekend, so that's good timing, too.

Quick Reply: NASCAR take-off lexan windshields on a 944?