Sponsored by:

944 Super Cup Rules 2014

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:59 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 944 Super Cup Rules 2014

Some rules changes or clarifications being planned for the 944 Super Cup class for 2014:

The Super Cup class will allow any Super Cup legal engine to be installed in any legal Cup or Super Cup chassis. The required minimum weight will be determined based on the engine.

The logbook for the car must declare the engine swap and include the current engine as installed. The sole responsibility for reporting the swap and engine serial number in the log book is that of the car owner.
=================
Tire section width will be limited to 305 for all 4 corners for all SC models.
======================
Minimum weights be lowered by 50 lbs for all Super Cup models, except for the 968.
=============
SC transmissions can be interchanged between the SC eligible models with 5 speed transmissions.

In addition, the 968 will be permitted to run a 5 speed transmission from one of the other 944 SC models. The 968 6 speed tranny can only be used in cars equipped with the 968 motor.

Last edited by 944Cup; 11-11-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:53 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Based on more driver feedback, the 10 inch limit on the wheel width for 2014 has been reexamined and instead of placing a limit on wheel size the rules will state the tire section width will be limited to 305. This will be limit the tire patch on the ground , make it easier for tech inspectors to check for compliance, and allow 11 inch wheels are already in use in the class to remain as legal.

Last edited by 944Cup; 11-11-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Updating the latest rule changes
Old 11-11-2013, 10:20 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Additionally, the proposed rule change will also include wheel spacer limit of 1.5inches front or rear made of steel or aluminum and from any source.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Cup
Additionally, the proposed rule change will also include wheel spacer limit of 1.5inches front or rear made of steel or aluminum and from any source.
It someone was to put a Super Cup engine (e.g. turbo, S2, 968, etc) into an early offset Cup car, would that spacer rule still apply?
Old 11-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Van ,yes rule would apply. it does'nt matter what engine you put in its what wheel/tire combo you choose, you can use spacers or not. Depends how wide you want to go. make sure you can get it in the trailer.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:04 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
It someone was to put a Super Cup engine (e.g. turbo, S2, 968, etc) into an early offset Cup car, would that spacer rule still apply?
Switching classes Van?

Through 2013 the SC rules didnt not specifically provide an interchange of motors between models, however the plan is to clarify the SC rules in 2014 to allow any Super Cup legal motor to be installed in any legal Cup or Super Cup chassis. The required minimum weight will be determined based on the engine in the car.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Cup
Switching classes Van?
Not a chance!

I just brought up the spacer question because I've seen large spacers on early cars that run late-offset wheels. (But I don't know if they're larger than 1.5".)
Old 11-12-2013, 01:03 AM
norcoastal
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

944Cup,

I've been on this site for a bunch of years and Ive thought about racing on and off for those years and I think this year I'm going to do it with my son. We've already started a "Race Fund" and are planning to do a few HPDE's this spring in my 996.

After much thought, I think we're going to start out in the spec 944 races because of cost of entry which would give us the most seat time.

My questions are these:

1) what organization(s) should I join? NASA, PCA, SCCA, 944 Cup?

2) what is required to get a license to race spec944's? I assume it's a course.

3) can we get our licenses if we take one of those skip barber or the other course, I forget he name.

I live in central Jersey so I have realitive access to NJMP, Lime Rock and Watkins Glen.

What do you think?

Any advice you could give a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

I'll let the Cup Daddy (Dave) answer most of your questions - but I'll tell you a little bit how PCA does race licensing, which is how most people run with 944 Cup. (And 944 Cup is comprised of SP1, SP2 and SP3 classes.)

First, you have to get involved with the PCA Driver's Education (HPDE) program. After completing a minimum number of events (which, I believe, is 12 - but, in reality, I recommend participating for 2-3 years minimum to establish a firm foundation of skills) you can apply for a PCA Club Racing license.

Second, in addition to passing a racing physical exam, you also need a recommendation from your PCA region's track chair or chief instructor. Then you'll have a phone interview with the PCA Club Racing coordinator.

Third, you'll be granted a provisional license and must participate in, and complete without incident, 4 PCA races as a rookie, after which you are a PCA racer!

Good luck on your quest - its a rewarding adventure!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:18 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by norcoastal
944Cup,

...................... After much thought, I think we're going to start out in the spec 944 races because of cost of entry which would give us the most seat time.

My questions are these:

1) what organization(s) should I join? NASA, PCA, SCCA, 944 Cup?

2) what is required to get a license to race spec944's? I assume it's a course.

3) can we get our licenses if we take one of those skip barber or the other course, I forget he name.

I live in central Jersey so I have realitive access to NJMP, Lime Rock and Watkins Glen.

What do you think?

Thanks!
Good to hear you plan to join the 944 racers group, where you are located makes the 944 Cup a great choice with tons of 944's racing at the tracks you mention. The size of the field matters.

You can do all the Cup races in your regional area with a PCA license which Van discussed on the how to's. A separate 944 Cup membership or license is not required to race in the series. Get your PCA license and a few Cup decals and you are good to go.

Obtaining a PCA license: http://www.pca.org/Activities/ClubRa...gaLicense.aspx
Old 11-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

944Cup,

I've been on this site for a bunch of years and Ive thought about racing on and off for those years and I think this year I'm going to do it with my son. We've already started a "Race Fund" and are planning to do a few HPDE's this spring in my 996.

After much thought, I think we're going to start out in the spec 944 races because of cost of entry which would give us the most seat time.
What all Cup Daddy and Van said. I would also get the 944 sooner than later if that's what you're planning to race. The 996 is a great car, but it will spoil you into thinking you're a better driver than you really are The 44's are great race cars, but they don't have a lot of systems/gadgets to help you out. Mistakes are easily apparent, and making mistakes and learning from them is what makes you a good driver. Also by driving the 944 you'll get comfortable in the car because when you're racing, you shouldn't be thinking about the car, that part should be unconscious, you have lots more to concentrate on. Also as you develop your skills, you can compare your lap times with the 944 racers and that will show you where you are on the learning curve.

Good luck!

- Cris
#88 SP2 1989 944 n/a
Old 11-12-2013, 10:08 AM
norcoastal
Pro

Is it possible to speed up the license process by taking a Bertil Roos racing course at NJMP? I'm looking forward to the HPDE'S, But my son and I are considering taking one of the three day courses this summer.

Will that get us a license sooner?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 AM
norcoastal
Pro

Originally Posted by Cris Brady
What all Cup Daddy and Van said. I would also get the 944 sooner than later if that's what you're planning to race. The 996 is a great car, but it will spoil you into thinking you're a better driver than you really are The 44's are great race cars, but they don't have a lot of systems/gadgets to help you out. Mistakes are easily apparent, and making mistakes and learning from them is what makes you a good driver. Also by driving the 944 you'll get comfortable in the car because when you're racing, you shouldn't be thinking about the car, that part should be unconscious, you have lots more to concentrate on. Also as you develop your skills, you can compare your lap times with the 944 racers and that will show you where you are on the learning curve.

Good luck!

- Cris
#88 SP2 1989 944 n/a
GREAT IDEA!!! Because we are planning on racing in the spec 944 class or maybe even Cup, getting a 944 to run at the DE's is a great idea. We can drive the 944 to the track and use it to run!
Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Is it possible to speed up the license process by taking a Bertil Roos racing course at NJMP? I'm looking forward to the HPDE'S, But my son and I are considering taking one of the three day courses this summer.

Will that get us a license sooner?
Per PCA: "Any PCA member may apply for a Club Racing license if they meet the criteria set forth in the PCA Licensing Procedure (contained in the Rule Book).

Criteria: Either an existing, active competition license from a recognized wheel-to-wheel racing organization outside of PCA;

Or, the member must meet the race track driving experience requirements as defined in the licensing procedures in the Club Racing license qRule Book.
A current physical exam certification is required."

There are some schools you can do that will get you a provisional SCCA comp license quickly. Add that to soem track experience and you MAY be able to get a PCA license. Best to ask these questions directly of PCA licensing officials.

To do a school of any kind you are going to need a race car, one with a log book. From a practical standpoint, as a novice best for you to do a school or race for the first time in a car you have a fair amount of track time in already. Suggest that you go out and buy a race car with a log book and do every DE in sight and you will progress quickly to be ready to do the PCA school.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:30 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Thanks Cup Daddy. After reading a LOT and getting many PM's, I'm going to do exactly that. I'm going to get a stock 944 and do as many DE's as I possibly can.

Before I get the 944, I'm going to start the DE's with my 996. I just can't wait to get on a track!

Quick Reply: 944 Super Cup Rules 2014