Sponsored by:

yet another reason why you should take it to the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 09:27 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
again, lets not blame anyone yet.... plenty of time for the police to sort it out.

however, this opinion piece explains somethings.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opi...,3765171.story

---
In Florida, if you throw back too many drinks, jump in a car and cause an accident that kills someone, you face a DUI manslaughter charge and a minimum of four years in prison.

But flee the scene to sober up and turn yourself in later, and you can shave years off your punishment — an unacceptable gap in state sentencing laws.

Penalties for drivers under the influence who kill someone are much steeper than for deadly drunk drivers who leave the scene.

Indeed, state law sets no minimum prison sentence for leaving the scene of a fatal crash. Even if you're somehow found to have been intoxicated at the time, the minimum prison term is just two years.[B/]

Compare that to someone convicted of DUI manslaughter, who faces an automatic term of four years.

Wow. What a F#**'d up law! That should be the opposite.

We've all made mistakes and no matter what the circumstances here drunk or not anyone who flees a scene particularly in a wicked crash that ended a life should man up. And to not call for help or render help to others is disgusting. IMO.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
And to not call for help or render help to others is disgusting. IMO.
+1

On a lighter note, sometimes I wish our interstates had this feature every 10 miles or so, to weed out the tards and the brain dead.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 12-04-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:33 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Knowing all this you still were driving 120? Whoever was driving over 100 on a public highway, a Floriduh public highway at, that is wrong right out of the box. As you have said too many non drivers driving.
Exactly and this is part of the speed limit equation.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 AM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+1
Right? That made my eyebrows fly up as well.

-----

"an attorney reached out to FHP by email on Monday to say he had been hired to represent Delgado and another person."

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/08/1...#storylink=cpy

One wonders who the other person might be. A teenaged son would certainly explain a lot, e.g.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:08 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 769 Posts

Knowing all this you still were driving 120? Whoever was driving over 100 on a public highway, a Floriduh public highway at, that is wrong right out of the box. As you have said too many non drivers driving.

This is a real bitch to esplain' away. Whoever was driving should have called 911 and rendered help to the other driver not beat feet for whatever reason they had.
I was and smarter now, but typically the only lights coming up on you would be police and we're talking leaving my house in 1 turn be on the interstate and my office was on the exit of the interstate. 20 years ago there were no cars at 3-4AM on work weeks except for the occasional car. In heavy traffic you have to be very defensive in your driving around here.

Another recent examples. Maybe 2 months ago, I look ahead, see a car spin and hit the wall in a cloud of smoke. I slow down tap brake lights put on 4 flashers. I could probably count to 10 before I saw another brake light and the car was nailed by 2 more cars..

Weekly I see cars going 25Mph unable to stay on the road bouncing of curbs. The cars look empty, very little people or short old people I guess..
Often 30 year old corolla's or ancient SUV's..
An then there are the 16 year old kids with 600 HP Mustangs and Porsches. What could go wrong?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
We've all made mistakes and no matter what the circumstances here drunk or not anyone who flees a scene particularly in a wicked crash that ended a life should man up. And to not call for help or render help to others is disgusting. IMO.
Just about as selfish an act a person can commit and it says a lot about their character. Just waiting to see to whom that character belongs.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:15 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

again, lets not blame anyone yet.... plenty of time for the police to sort it out.

---
In Florida, if you throw back too many drinks, jump in a car and cause an accident that kills someone, you face a DUI manslaughter charge and a minimum of four years in prison.

But flee the scene to sober up and turn yourself in later, and you can shave years off your punishment — an unacceptable gap in state sentencing laws.

Penalties for drivers under the influence who kill someone are much steeper than for deadly drunk drivers who leave the scene.

Indeed, state law sets no minimum prison sentence for leaving the scene of a fatal crash. Even if you're somehow found to have been intoxicated at the time, the minimum prison term is just two years.[B/]

Compare that to someone convicted of DUI manslaughter, who faces an automatic term of four years.

Yes, an unintended consequence of the crackdown on drunk driving. While I certainly don't condone DWI, recent harsher penalties have increased the incidence of people leaving the scene. Killing someone while DWI is an unintentional D-bag move. Leaving the scene is an intentional one and should be punished as such.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:21 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Miami International to Ft. Lauderdale on I95, 2 AM - Enzo passed me at well over 100 MPH. Then about 10 rice rockets passed me and a couple of the guys were doing wheelies at 100+ MPH. Woke me right up.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

---

I know of a person who was following a SUV that hit a cyclist. The cyclist was thrown in the air and landed on her hood. There was a car behind that witnessed the event and verified the above scenario. The SUV took off and was never found. The cyclist had a BAL of .22. The driver in question had a BAL of .05.
In Florida, .08 is the BAL where a person is "presumed" to be impaired. She was convicted of vehicular manslaughter (key word "presumed") and is currently serving her 4 year sentence.
F'd up.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:45 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by morsini
Miami International to Ft. Lauderdale on I95, 2 AM - Enzo passed me at well over 100 MPH. Then about 10 rice rockets passed me and a couple of the guys were doing wheelies at 100+ MPH. Woke me right up.
I don't live far from I-95
Seems there are races all night long starting 3 AM. Superbikes mostly.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Just about as selfish an act a person can commit and it says a lot about their character. Just waiting to see to whom that character belongs.
I agree.

We have no idea what happened.
It has not been published if anyone knows if any help was rendered or who or how many people were there..

Looks bad and the red Ferrari will be in the news anytime there is any movement in this case.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 AM
buzztt
Pro

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I know of a person who was following a SUV that hit a cyclist. The cyclist was thrown in the air and landed on her hood. There was a car behind that witnessed the event and verified the above scenario. The SUV took off and was never found. The cyclist had a BAL of .22. The driver in question had a BAL of .05.
In Florida, .08 is the BAL where a person is "presumed" to be impaired. She was convicted of vehicular manslaughter (key word "presumed") and is currently serving her 4 year sentence.
F'd up.
so they found the driver but not the SUV ? and the driver was under the limit but still convicted ?
Old 08-14-2013, 11:06 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Prayers to all involved. Lately to me it seems more and more people are in the left lane doing 40. When i was coming hom from WGI a couple of weeks ago i ran into multiple areas where we were crawling and i looked way ahead and notice the freeway was clear, only to find out there were 3 cars in the middle lane doing 45 on Rt 17!!!! On the LIE here on the Island you see it all the time. I do not approve of speeding or racing on the street but i also feel the authorities should be looking at slower traffic as more of a hazard than people flowing at 80mph.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

This is a real bitch to esplain' away. Whoever was driving should have called 911 and rendered help to the other driver not beat feet for whatever reason they had.
He could have been getting chased by ninjas.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:29 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I don't live far from I-95
Seems there are races all night long starting 3 AM. Superbikes mostly.
The stretch of I75 where this occurred, is at least 4 lanes (per side), with a wide grass median. (w. a very nice flat surface)

-it would not be the worst place to run a car at speed.

once rush hour is over, it is the less traveled highway...(much better than I95 or the turnpike)

I doubt anyone here is without fault for driving too fast on public roads.

This is a life changing event for the owner and driver.

Something to think about late at night on the open road...

Quick Reply: yet another reason why you should take it to the track