Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yet another reason why you should take it to the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 PM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty wild to hit a car from behind - on an interstate highway!!! - hard enough to flip it end over end. I wonder what the speed difference has to be to cause that...

Slower traffic keep right!

Last week I was behind one of those cars with the rear-view mirror pointed at the driver's face so she could confirm as often as she pleased how her face was doing. With allowances for the speed involved, you gotta figure that keeping a good eye on what's coming up behind you is not a terrible idea at 12:30 AM, but obviously not everyone pays all that much attention to their mirrors.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by leejo
Pretty wild to hit a car from behind - on an interstate highway!!! - hard enough to flip it end over end. I wonder what the speed difference has to be to cause that...

Slower traffic keep right!

Last week I was behind one of those cars with the rear-view mirror pointed at the driver's face so she could confirm as often as she pleased how her face was doing. With allowances for the speed involved, you gotta figure that keeping a good eye on what's coming up behind you is not a terrible idea at 12:30 AM, but obviously not everyone pays all that much attention to their mirrors.
Not trying to speculate here, but I have seen dip****s completely stopped in the middle of interstate highways, for no reason whatsoever except being dip****s. And this seems to happen a lot in Calif & FloriDUH.

Again, I have no idea if that is what happened, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to a friend many years ago. Very similar scenario where a car stopped in the middle of an expressway during a bad storm.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
I don't, just pisses me off when someone tries to stir the pot with such a tragedy.
Also not in a position to judge anyone, specially without ALL FACTS.

My thoughts and prayers are with all involved families.
Stirring the pot? How so? I made a very simply counterpoint to your assertion that there are NO FACTS .

There's no question that we don't have all the facts, but it seems to me when you suggest that there are NO facts, when quite obviously there are many - including the fact that the whomever was behind the wheel of the car fled the scene - that you're ignoring quite significant FACTS.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
Wow.. it was a red scud in the pics

that is quite an impact -- probably drew some blood from scratches etc. shouldn't take long for dna tests to determine if the rennlister in question was the one behind the wheel or somebody else
Old 08-13-2013, 09:16 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Not trying to speculate here, but I have seen dip****s completely stopped in the middle of interstate highways, for no reason whatsoever except being dip****s. And this seems to happen a lot in Calif & FloriDUH.

Again, I have no idea if that is what happened, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility.
About a month ago while driving home from the office there was a guy pushing his broken down POS backward in the fast lane of the highway so that he could get into the median. I gave plenty of room turning into the slow lane but a few cars back the driver wasn't so lucky and ended up missing the guy and his car ended up in the ditch. I could not believe what I was seeing.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Guys, this is South Florida.
Even cars that are fine will enter the interstate to cross 4 lanes into the fast lane.

I used to drive Palm Beach to Miami every day at 4AM or earlier averaging 120 MPH, empty roads, working day and night, 20 years ago and I learned things since.

But I have repeatedly seen cars enter the distance, maybe recent Cuban, Haitian immigrants who are not required to take driving lessons still! or and 102 year old, you just never know here.

You see them enter, brake on the on ramp, accelerate from 20 MPH and they keep coming to the left without turn signal... you think, ok, maybe he likes the middle lane, ok, maybe the third, but no, sure enough with no other traffic in sight the go into the left lane at 55mph and I'm going 120mph, no big deal, you can go around it and after a while you even start anticipating.

Blown tire carcasses everywhere from the wrecks driving around on corded tires till they blow and once in a while they put a 90 degree turn in an interstate when 99% is straight and sure enough someone hits the wall every other day...

If it rains and it does every day in the summer, you will see 1 car crashed every 10 miles on avg..
Old 08-13-2013, 11:37 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry but, although there may be more to the story, it sure doesn't look good. Anytime you hit somebody from behind, particularly if you are traveling at more than 100 mph, it was your fault. And leaving the scene of the accident....come on. I don't know who was driving the car and I certainly hope that it wasn't Rad, but I don't know too many people that lend out their Ferrari Scuds at 12:30 am. Either way, I'm sure Rad is distraught and I wish him and the family/friends of the man who was killed the best.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:55 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Lets leave it to a judge.
We don't know who he might be protecting.
The lawyer is representing person(S).
No one knows if he was even there or who was driving at this point.
Maybe his wife, but Ferraris attract friends, we just don't know. Maybe he just ****ed up and fell asleep.

I'd get the best lawyer and do whatever he would tell me to do.

I only know him as a super nice guy and I know that's his car.
Maybe he screwed up and maybe not. Well find out eventually.

RIP to the driver in the Hyundai.
The car does not look too heavily damaged as opposed to the Fiat..
+1
Old 08-14-2013, 12:23 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

not trying to stir any pot but, it's one thing to crash into a stopped car or one that has invaded your right of way... 4

but, what about the fleeing the accident part?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:11 AM
Chicago Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
This happened to a friend many years ago. Very similar scenario where a car stopped in the middle of an expressway during a bad storm.
Happened to me on the Kennedy @ Fullerton, two cars up from me in the left lane. I slotted onto the shoulder, and the guy behind me took out the car in front of me. I remember watching an SUV in the middle-left lane go by backwards.

The instigator left.

After that, my wife never questioned the cost of rotors, pads, and tires, not to mention suspension upgrades.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:49 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

very sad for all involved.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:58 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Guys, this is South Florida.
Even cars that are fine will enter the interstate to cross 4 lanes into the fast lane.

I used to drive Palm Beach to Miami every day at 4AM or earlier averaging 120 MPH, empty roads, working day and night, 20 years ago and I learned things since.

But I have repeatedly seen cars enter the distance, maybe recent Cuban, Haitian immigrants who are not required to take driving lessons still! or and 102 year old, you just never know here.

You see them enter, brake on the on ramp, accelerate from 20 MPH and they keep coming to the left without turn signal... you think, ok, maybe he likes the middle lane, ok, maybe the third, but no, sure enough with no other traffic in sight the go into the left lane at 55mph and I'm going 120mph, no big deal, you can go around it and after a while you even start anticipating.

Blown tire carcasses everywhere from the wrecks driving around on corded tires till they blow and once in a while they put a 90 degree turn in an interstate when 99% is straight and sure enough someone hits the wall every other day...

If it rains and it does every day in the summer, you will see 1 car crashed every 10 miles on avg..
Knowing all this you still were driving 120? Whoever was driving over 100 on a public highway, a Floriduh public highway at, that is wrong right out of the box. As you have said too many non drivers driving.

Originally Posted by odurandina
not trying to stir any pot but, it's one thing to crash into a stopped car or one that has invaded your right of way... 4

but, what about the fleeing the accident part?
This is a real bitch to esplain' away. Whoever was driving should have called 911 and rendered help to the other driver not beat feet for whatever reason they had.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:06 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

again, lets not blame anyone yet.... plenty of time for the police to sort it out.

however, this opinion piece explains somethings.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opi...,3765171.story

---
In Florida, if you throw back too many drinks, jump in a car and cause an accident that kills someone, you face a DUI manslaughter charge and a minimum of four years in prison.

But flee the scene to sober up and turn yourself in later, and you can shave years off your punishment — an unacceptable gap in state sentencing laws.

Penalties for drivers under the influence who kill someone are much steeper than for deadly drunk drivers who leave the scene.

Indeed, state law sets no minimum prison sentence for leaving the scene of a fatal crash. Even if you're somehow found to have been intoxicated at the time, the minimum prison term is just two years.[B/]

Compare that to someone convicted of DUI manslaughter, who faces an automatic term of four years.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Knowing all this you still were driving 120? Whoever was driving over 100 on a public highway, a Floriduh public highway at, that is wrong right out of the box. As you have said too many non drivers driving.
+1

Quick Reply: yet another reason why you should take it to the track