Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SmartyCam HD coming August 27

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:23 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There are cameras physically in the US. The dealers can't get them yet as they are working diligently to "perfect" the software. I was told that Sept 1 is the release date in the US. We will see.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:29 AM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually glad to see them making sure they're ready for primetime. I got some gopro3 hero black editions right as they released, and I'm still pissed at that company. So many bugs in there it should have been criminal.

Looking forward to multi-cam on the HD GPs
Old 08-19-2013, 05:11 AM
Squiggle
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update ..

had the cam out on the track over the weekend, and everything worked really well .. awesome image quality .. all the overlays and data transmitted perfectly .. really happy with the results, pity I can't same the same about the car & driver .. Only issues were "user created" and by the next meet I will have them all sorted.

Big thumbs up to the new system .. you'll all enjoy it once it's available to the general public.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 982 Likes on 589 Posts

How big are the files for a ~20 minute session?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,292 Likes on 1,873 Posts

Don't seem much larger than the SD version. One heck of a good codec!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 08-19-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:40 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Are these available now? How much?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

We are getting close to having the cameras. AIM is satisfied with the current firmware. The delay isn't really the camera but the new software. This is a big move toward having the data with sync'd video on the same screen. I tested the camera this past weekend at Road America. The software Smarty Manager 2 is quite different. The camera worked fine, the quality is excellent. I'll post a couple laps soon. I believe the price is staying at $999 but have not seen that in writing.

Matt

The file size was 2.6 Gbit for 43 minutes so not too bad. The great thing is that the camera will accept a 128 Gbit SD card. I used a 32 Gbit card and it held the 4 days of racing with room to spare
Old 09-04-2013, 08:51 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,292 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Are these available now? How much?
No, they are not available today, but damned soon! <grin>

What Jerry said, I'm 99% sure they're going to be the price of the old standalone at $999.

But, they will not ship with a GPS antenna! So, in order to get lap times/GPS speeds/draw track maps, you will need to run them as a slave to a existing logger (EVO4/Solo DL or MXL with an existing GPS05) or buy the newly reduced in price antenna.

I tested one at the Monterey Historics a few weeks ago and showed Van Svenson some killer video from my car at Lime Rock day before yesterday. The Audio and Exposure are both automatic and work great!

Any reservations I had about the new HD standalone, all-in-one being inferior in image quality and packaging to the GP, as it has been on the SD version, are over!

I doubt that AiM will be releasing the separate bullet cam HD version for some time, but this all in one version is a great product at a fair price.

I just wish AiM wouldn't screw up their most loyal, erstwhile and successful dealers like Jerry and I by announcing these things as being available when they haven't even shipped to the dealers, yet...

I guess this is better than a premature release... Like the original one in 2009.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:53 PM
MikeColangelo
4th Gear

How is the new Smartycam HD as a standalone data logger? How is it's track mapping capabilities? Has anyone used it with Race Studio? Based on what I've read, it sounds like it records everything that the basic Solo does.

The reason I ask is that my race car already has an AiM Mychron 3 XG Log but is lacking GPS track mapping. Plus, I need a better camera setup. I'm thinking that buying the new Smartycam HD will allow me to analyze GPS-based track maps and also shoot useful video with data overlay.

Your thoughts?

And thanks in advance for any info!

Last edited by MikeColangelo; 09-04-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Prices for the SD cards are dropping, you can get a Kingston 128GB SDXC Memory Card Class 10 for about $85 delivered now.. Sounds like 64GB is MORE than enough at even the highest FPS settings. What would happen if you ran two SCams, one HD and one old one (thinking new out front, old facing rear or pedals)? I use an external GPS, would assume I would just run no overlay in the rear facing and do a PIP with my software. My good ol Aiptek no longer charges while driving, though it shows the charging graphic, was going to buy a Go Pro but I would really like a better quality front video (with data overlay).

Of course, this is assuming I can ever get my car to run for a whole weekend...

Originally Posted by amso3
The file size was 2.6 Gbit for 43 minutes so not too bad. The great thing is that the camera will accept a 128 Gbit SD card. I used a 32 Gbit card and it held the 4 days of racing with room to spare
Old 09-04-2013, 02:48 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Default SC HD

Mike

The Smarty Cam is NOT a data logger like the SOLO. It can overlay data on the video but you can not download data to analyze in Race Studio. The SC HD with the GPS antenna will accomplish what you need to your dash.

Gary

The new camera is supposed to be able to share CAN signal with multiple cameras using the Data Hub. I tried that this past weekend and did not receive data on both cameras, but one was the prior technology. Maybe they both need to be the new technology. We'll know more soon
Attached Images   
Old 09-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Thanks Jerry, I would think if one was to be the "Master" it would default to the new one but as long as both get the data it doesn't matter as the data is only displayed if you set up a "Dash" on that cam. Curious, which SC received the data this weekend? Was it the new HD one? I assume both SCs turned on automatically, yes?

Gary

The new camera is supposed to be able to share CAN signal with multiple cameras using the Data Hub. I tried that this past weekend and did not receive data on both cameras, but one was the prior technology. Maybe they both need to be the new technology. We'll know more soon
Old 09-04-2013, 03:02 PM
MikeColangelo
4th Gear

Thanks, Jerry!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 982 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeColangelo
How is the new Smartycam HD as a standalone data logger? How is it's track mapping capabilities? Has anyone used it with Race Studio? Based on what I've read, it sounds like it records everything that the basic Solo does.

The reason I ask is that my race car already has an AiM Mychron 3 XG Log but is lacking GPS track mapping. Plus, I need a better camera setup. I'm thinking that buying the new Smartycam HD will allow me to analyze GPS-based track maps and also shoot useful video with data overlay.

Your thoughts?

And thanks in advance for any info!
Mike

The Smarty Cam is NOT a data logger like the SOLO. It can overlay data on the video but you can not download data to analyze in Race Studio. The SC HD with the GPS antenna will accomplish what you need to your dash.
I thought the SC recorded the data on the SD card now? I know it does when connected to a dash, but I've never tried it without the dash hooked up.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:31 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Geez Matt, good question. The 32 Gbit card left RA and flew directly to Austrailia so I can not check. I still have the camera, I'll put in my car and go for a ride.

Gary

The new HD camera did not pick up data with both connected. They did both receive a signal to start recording from the ECU though. The rest of the weekend I used the new camera and did not use the data hub. As soon as I hooked up the HD to the ECU bridge without the data hub everything worked fine.

Quick Reply: SmartyCam HD coming August 27