SmartyCam HD coming August 27

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:49 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default SmartyCam HD coming August 27

http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro...m-hd/index.htm

Would have thought a built-in rear lens would be a nice idea.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, my smartycam is now for sale.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:45 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

This has been delayed so many times now. Hopefully, it will be a reality.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,825 Posts

I'd definitely not hold your breath...

While I do think it will FINALLY be here in September (of course, I said I thought it would be here by May back in April...) and I have a good list of units pre-sold (and can always take orders for more), I think this will be a significant improvement over the existing standalone unit.

I think it will be less of an improvement over the performance of the SD GP version, so there should be no rush to upgrade from those.

You can run two SmartyCams front and rear and control them as slaves through an AiM CAN hub, then edit the video within RaceRender without too much trouble. It's about the same money as several two-camera, standalone systems, with options, but more clunky to use and there's no capability in the software to synch multiple videos (as in the Video VBOX and the Race-Keeper), let alone one.

There's a million options out there, but the AiM SmartyCam HD will improve that one and certainly be worthwhile.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-13-2013, 06:54 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

So Peter, one could run the latest iteration of the old-style and tie in with a new HD camera for front and rear?
Old 08-14-2013, 09:08 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

At one point there was an issue of splitting the CAN signal to two identical SC. I made it work running one SC and one SC GP. So I'm waiting to test and verify that we can run multiple cameras (assuming you want CAN data on all cameras) splitting the CAN signal.

As far as availability goes, "launch" and available to dealers is the unknown. Like Peter, there are many dealers waiting (I think I placed my first order for them in January), so we'll see.........
Old 08-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Squiggle
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had one since June .. will be great once it all works properly!
Currently can only use it in manual mode. Even with the 46.03.14 FW Solo DL can't recognise it and the beta version of SM2 just crashes once the cam is connected. The FW updater see's something and reads the FW version and an ID, but it can't recognise the device and doesn't have an available update atm.

I'm sure it will get sorted soon

edit: I was too hasty with dismissing SM2 .. I managed to get it to work today .. well atleast recognised the CAM and transmits a config .. so one step closer

Last edited by Squiggle; 08-14-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Is that right? <skeptical> There haven't been any released even to the power users and leading dealers until this month...

Unless you work for AiM (and if you did, you wouldn't be having or airing these problems this close to the release cycle, as these bugs were worked out in the spring, after Sebring), you must be talking about the newer version of the SD GP. You don't sound very facile with AiM products in general.

Let's see a picture...
Old 08-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Squiggle
3rd Gear

Understand the skepticism .. I am in the workshop at the moment, so can only give you a piccie of the box .. if you really want a pic of the CAM will have to wait until I get home later tonite.

I had a bit more success after my above post .. SDL now seems to communicate, they are now sharing GPS. I haven't as yet hooked everything up to the ECU since the update, so whether they will share all data is yet to be seen. SM2 is still a bit inconsistent. With the SCHD connected via USB and the SD card inserted, SM2 can't see the data on the card .. if I remove the card and put it in a card reader, SM2 see's it all fine .. it's still only beta software, so some bugs are expected. I am thinking that some of the issues may be traced back to USB drivers. With the CAM connected via USB, my PC see's it, but as an "unknown" with no interactivity possible.

I'm on track this weekend, first time since the new FW, so we'll see if it all actually works in a real life situation (rather than just on my desk) .. I'll keep you all updated.

This is my first AiM product, so most of the software is new to me.. so forgive me if I sound a bit n00b. How did I get one? .. can't really answer that in an open forum, however it's all legal and official ... apparently I was the first "customer" in the world to take delivery. At the time there was no manual and no software .. all this is slowly coming through, so I am excited to be able to use it properly soon.
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2013, 11:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You should know that there is another, more recent f/w that may resolve these issues, but clearly, you are an AiM n00b! <grin>

Now, I understand why you are having so many issues! You will need to load the Solo DL with the latest beta firmware so that THEY will TALK to each other, then configure the Solo DL to associate the SDL channels to those inputs on the SCHD, then configure the SCHD to SHOW the channels it's being sent and insert those gauges or graphical read outs onto the video background.

Once you have everything set up, it'll stay working, but each component HAS to be running the latest firmware to be able to talk to each other and to tell each other they are there.

To pull the data, you should do it through Race Studio 2 and the SD card.

You must have gotten this unit from overseas... What's the serial number? You sound like you're from Oz...
Old 08-16-2013, 12:01 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Ok, I know what you did. You plugged the camera in before loading SM2...

Easily fixed. Still, surprised that you got one. You're in the UK, aren't you...
Old 08-16-2013, 01:58 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I'd definitely not hold your breath...

While I do think it will FINALLY be here in September (of course, I said I thought it would be here by May back in April...) and I have a good list of units pre-sold (and can always take orders for more), I think this will be a significant improvement over the existing standalone unit.

I think it will be less of an improvement over the performance of the SD GP version, so there should be no rush to upgrade from those.

You can run two SmartyCams front and rear and control them as slaves through an AiM CAN hub, then edit the video within RaceRender without too much trouble. It's about the same money as several two-camera, standalone systems, with options, but more clunky to use and there's no capability in the software to synch multiple videos (as in the Video VBOX and the Race-Keeper), let alone one.

There's a million options out there, but the AiM SmartyCam HD will improve that one and certainly be worthwhile.
August 27th, but did they say what year.
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 08-18-2013, 01:53 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Well, I might have spoken too soon. The video quality is spectacular...
Old 08-18-2013, 04:15 AM
HGT3CUP
Rennlist Member

So, is the camera available now?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:12 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No, not from me yet. AiM says the 27th. I don't know whether that means we will have it in hand then or whether it will ship to us then. I do know that they're still testing and updating beta software at a furious rate! ��

Hopeful of an imminent release!

Quick Reply: SmartyCam HD coming August 27