Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,938 Posts
Default Kimi linked with a return to Ferrari

Raikkonen linked with Ferrari return
31 July 2013

German media report that Kimi Raikkonen has been offered a deal by Ferrari for the 2014 F1 season

Raikkonen linked with Ferrari return

Kimi Raikkonen has been linked with a return to Ferrari in the latest twist in F1's silly season.

The Finn is one of the drivers in the mix to replace Mark Webber at Red Bull Racing next year, while his current Lotus team has also expressed a desire to keep hold of the 33-year-old for a third year.

However, Bild has now suggested that the fight for Raikkonen's services could be a three-way affair between Lotus, Red Bull and Ferrari.

According to the German publication, Ferrari has offered Raikkonen a deal worth $15 million a year alongside bonuses and support for his motocross and hockey teams.

Current Ferrari driver Felipe Massa is out of contract at the end of the season, while Fernando Alonso could also be on the move after speculation arose in Hungary at the weekend that he too is being courted by Red Bull for 2014.

Should Raikkonen make a move to Ferrari, it would see him return to the team that carried him to the 2007 title but which also released him early from his contract in order to bring in Alonso for the 2010 campaign.

News of the links between Raikkonen and Ferrari come at a time when Alonso's relationship with the Scuderia appear to be somewhat frosty, with Luca di Montezemolo having warned the Spaniard over his conduct following comments made after the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Ferrari has been quick to downplay any suggestions of a rift between driver and team however, with a spokesman telling AS that di Montezemolo was '100 per cent with Alonso'.

"Montezemolo is the first one to support the call of our driver to improve, as soon as possible, the competitiveness of the car," the Spanish 'paper quoted the spokesperson as saying.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:46 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kimi and Ferrari politics have been proven to not mix, why does anyone think it will work this time?

or maybe Kimi is just hoping he gets bought out of another contract and gets paid to go have fun in rally and NASCAR again
Old 07-31-2013, 12:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,085 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Bild...

That's all you have to know. Along with Blick and Gazzetta Dello Sport...

Hey, it's the summer break and people need to sell papers...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Bild...

good point.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Larry L
Race Car

Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Bild...

^This.

Silly season has started early this year.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:31 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bild...

Yep. It's like the German Daily Fail.

I like Kimi at Lotus. I hope he stays put.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:08 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry L
Silly season has started early this year.
Not so sure it started earlier than any other season (BTW I hate these 4 week breaks between Hungary and Spa every year compounded this year with the 3 week break between Germany and Hungary). No I don't think it has started any earlier. It's just that this year's silly season appears to be more silly than normal.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

2014 decision may look 'stupid' to outsiders - Kimi

http://en.espnf1.com/lotusf1/motorsp...ry/117843.html

Kimi Raikkonen says his decision on where he will drive next year may look "stupid" to onlookers, but he will commit his future to whichever team feels right to him.

Raikkonen is in talks with Red Bull and Lotus over 2014 race drives but says he has yet to make a decision on where he will end up. However, he said he will sign wherever he feels happiest and he is not worried about what others may think.

"There has to be an overall package that feels right to me," Raikkonen said. "It might, whatever the decision, feel stupid to somebody else, but then it might just feel right for me. I have no idea what will happen and we have to wait and see what will come.

"There is no guarantee that the choice will be the right one in the long run, but I will be fine no matter what it will be. You have to live with the decision."

A lot has been made of Raikkonen's dislike for PR activities and the relative freedom he has been given at Lotus, but he said that it was not a defining factor in his decision.

"We cannot guarantee what will happen next year with any team or any car. There are a lot of rumours about PR days, that we [at Lotus] have 10 and another team has 100, but I have been in most of the top teams and I know exactly how it goes. If you count things that you do during the week and at the weekend, everybody has a different way of counting the days. At least in my knowledge the difference in the teams is just a few days and it's not going to be a deciding factor."
Old 07-31-2013, 04:45 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I can't see KR returning to Ferrari if DV is there. That would be a lot of drama for a no drama guy.
Judging from watching KR and SV on the podium in Hungary, they seem to get along well.
I still think his best option is at Lotus depending on funding and any ownership changes that may take place.
Next year is a crap shoot with the cars. If I were betting on a team to do well out of the box I would go with Red Bull 1st and Merc 2nd.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:39 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just can't see Kimi as a #2 driver with any team. Simple as that.

C.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:48 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Any of the Top drivers should go over. If they team continues to wish to dominate, they would pick a top drover and pay him what he wants. If they pick a ricardo or someone like him, then that means that the german child has thrown a fit and has control over that process.

I'd love for FA or KR to go over and show that petulant dip**** whats what.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:31 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BC
I'd love for FA or KR to go over and show that petulant dip**** whats what.
What will you say if the "petulant dip****" (your words not mine) continues to win?

Or do you believe Webber is void of any skill?

I am actually hoping Raikkonen joins Red Bull as it will settle this absolutely ridiculous hate people like yourself continue foster. Either you are right, Vettel has no skill and only wins because of the auto-pilot controls Adrian Newey has installed in the German's Red Bull, or maybe just maybe Vettel is a good driver. Time will tell. Please Christian, put Kimi in Mark's seat next season.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:47 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
Good point. People seem to have forgotten that just a few years ago Webber was leading the driver's championship heading into the last race of the season, and that he has clearly mastered the streets of Monaco. You can like or dislike Mark, but you can't fairly accuse him of not being a seriously talented race driver.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:55 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

I am a complex, human species so I can hold two somewhat dichotomous pieces of thought in my head at the same time.

I do not doubt that SV has talent. If he did not, he would not be in the seat. He would not have 2 second leads over others when on pole by the end of the first lap (this is, of course, if RB is not cheating). You will notice however, that the .6 second quali spacing they had last year and as I recall, the year before, has evaporated with the diffuser/exhaust changes.

The second thought I can hold simultaneously is that he is a petulant german douche who has an irritating demeanor, and a HORRIBLE attitude when things do not go right for him. I also believe he does not have the passing and wheel to wheel talent that a LH or a KR or even a FA has. At least when MS was winning monotonously, he had some freaking class.

A couple more thoughts - I do not cheer when FA or KR have issues. Or anyone else. I only cheer when SV has any foible at all. I did not form this hate for him purposely. It happened naturally.

Even FA is hated be people here. I do not hate him. He has his Politics issues, but I cannot hate him. I hate SV. I respect FA's driving talent and can see him wrestle that F car (and the yellow car before it) around that track by the scruff of its neck.

To answer your question, if he continues to win with an equal partner (Webber - love that bloke, but he is not a top echelon drover) and excel masterfully, I will continue to hold both thoughts in my brain.

Originally Posted by My993C2
What will you say if the "petulant dip****" (your words not mine) continues to win?

I am actually hoping Raikkonen joins Red Bull as it will settle this absolutely ridiculous hate people like yourself continue foster. Either you are right, Vettel has no skill and only wins because of the auto-pilot controls Adrian Newey has installed in the German's Red Bull, or maybe just maybe Vettel is a good driver. Time will tell. Please Christian, put Kimi in Mark's seat next season.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
Good point. People seem to have forgotten that just a few years ago Webber was leading the driver's championship heading into the last race of the season, and that he has clearly mastered the streets of Monaco. You can like or dislike Mark, but you can't fairly accuse him of not being a seriously talented race driver.
Webber was leading the 2010 WDC heading into the last race of the season? What season a few years ago are you referring to?
How could people seem to have forgotten something that never occurred?

2010 Korea. Vettel retires with mechanical, Webber crashes out, Alonso wins and takes over the lead in the WDC.
WDC points after Korea:
Alonso 231
Webber 220
Hamilton 210
Vettel 206

2010 Brazil. Vettel wins the race, Webber finishes second, Alonso finishes 3rd. RBR clinches the Constructors.
WDC points after Brazil:
Alonso 246
Webber 238
Vettel 231

2010 Abu Dhabi (final race of the year)
Vettel wins the race, Hamilon 2nd, Button 3rd, Rosberg 4th, Kubica 5th, Petrov 6th, Alonso 7th, Webber 8th.

Vettel becomes the youngest WDC in F1 history.

2011 WDC standings heading into the last race of the season (Brazil):
Vettel 374
Button 255
Alonso 245
Webber 233
Hamilton 227

Please see me after class. I have some homework for you.

Quick Reply: Kimi linked with a return to Ferrari