Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joining the enclosed trailer club

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Now you get to mod the F250. The F250s springs in back are soft to give it a comfortable unloaded ride. You will want to install some air springs to assist the standard leaf springs that come on the truck. I went with Air Lift but there are other brands. I run about 35 psi in them. An on board compressor makes it easy to adjust on the fly.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Drew, congrats on the new truck. I'm sure I'll do the 3/4 ton diesel next time. I'd be curious to hear your impressions day to day driving vs the F150.

Reference the 16" wheel idea, I debated this too. Due to interior door opening clearance with the wheel well fenders, I opted to stay with 15's. However, my InTech did come with load range E tires

Looking forward to seeing the trailer pics
Old 08-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the advice above, but why does everyone keep spending my money? (j/k I really do appreciate the advice, which I'm going to consider)

rlm328: You said "The F250s springs in back are soft to give it a comfortable unloaded ride." Did you mean to say 'loaded' ride? If that's what you meant, are the rear springs too soft even when using an Equalizer to distribute the load?

BlueBarchetta: On a related note, the F250 definitely rides stiffer than the F150, as expected. The steering is looser in that it takes less effort to turn the wheel and it doesn't seem to track as straight as the F150. Not that it's bad by any means - I'm just making a relative comparison. It also feels more like driving a semi because you're up higher and the hood goes straight out, rather than pointing down like the F150 hood.

My F250 is the same length as my F150, just taller, so parking is about the same. I back in most of the time anyways. However, the F250 has power folding mirrors, so in that sense it makes it easier to park, particularly next to other trucks and SUVs.

I've only had the new truck for a few days and it's been a pretty easy adjustment compared to the F150. I'm looking forward to seeing how it tows.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:42 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

No I meant the unloaded ride. Once you get a trailer on the truck it smooths the ride out. If you place stiff springs in back the truck has an exceptionally rough ride. These things like being under a load.

You may want to use a fuel additive ti increase the cetane in the fuel. I use Optima XPD.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:19 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock F250 needs nothing at all. Enjoy it!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
If you still have the time get 16" wheels and run 10 ply utility LT tires. It always amazes me how crappy even the best trailer tires are. It will be 2-3 times the cost of a top of the line trailer tire but worth every penny. Last three times as long. You don't hesitate to spend $400 a corner for race rubber and then spend $70 a corner for the trailer. A blown race tire can wreck the car, a blown trailer tire can wreck the trailer, all your stuff, the truck AND the car....
+1, or at the very least spend a little more and upgrade to E rated tires. D rated trailer tires are made from spit and newsprint and will blow out in pairs at the worst possible time. In the Texas the sun and heat trailer tires degrade quickly to landfill just sitting around.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:57 AM
Niels e46 m3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for running LT tires... best thing I have done on the past 2 trailers we have owned....
Old 10-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: My Intech trailer arrived at the dealer last week and I brought her home yesterday. I had a chance to really go over the trailer today and the build quality is outstanding. Intech seems to do a great job.

I spec'd a wireless winch, and it came with a rope type instead of steel cable without me even having to ask for it. Speaking of which, I test loaded my GT3 today and the winch is a great feature and made loading it by myself an easy job. The trailer has an extended ramp (see below) but it wasn't quite enough for the GT3 to clear, so I ended up having to remove the front lip spoiler (10 second job). I'm sure it would clear with the lip spoiler on if I used a short piece of wood, but taking off the spoiler is easy enough.

The awning seems like it'll be great to have. I also turned on the outside work lights last night and they are BRIGHT (1000W).

Now I just have to outfit it with tools etc. and take it out for its first event. Let me know if you have any questions about it or Intech.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

Nice trailer! Congrats.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:50 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Looks like a beautiful trailer.

If you drive the truck over a board under each rear tire, it may give you the clearance you need so you won't have to take the spoiler off...just something to consider.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:06 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great trailer. Congrats!!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:41 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Drew, very nice and quite similar to mine. I'm sure you'll be very happy
Old 10-22-2013, 03:24 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Nice
Old 10-22-2013, 04:55 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

You probably don't want to be taking the spoiler off each time. Hassle aside you are turning the plugs and holes into a wear item. (I have friends who do this anyway - whatever)

Get some boards or pop for some RaceRamps so you can get clearance and get your car on without fuss. Spoiler and all.

Originally Posted by Drew_K
UPDATE: My Intech trailer arrived at the dealer last week and I brought her home yesterday. I had a chance to really go over the trailer today and the build quality is outstanding. Intech seems to do a great job.

I spec'd a wireless winch, and it came with a rope type instead of steel cable without me even having to ask for it. Speaking of which, I test loaded my GT3 today and the winch is a great feature and made loading it by myself an easy job. The trailer has an extended ramp (see below) but it wasn't quite enough for the GT3 to clear, so I ended up having to remove the front lip spoiler (10 second job). I'm sure it would clear with the lip spoiler on if I used a short piece of wood, but taking off the spoiler is easy enough.

The awning seems like it'll be great to have. I also turned on the outside work lights last night and they are BRIGHT (1000W).

Now I just have to outfit it with tools etc. and take it out for its first event. Let me know if you have any questions about it or Intech.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dan212
You probably don't want to be taking the spoiler off each time. Hassle aside you are turning the plugs and holes into a wear item. (I have friends who do this anyway - whatever)

Get some boards or pop for some RaceRamps so you can get clearance and get your car on without fuss. Spoiler and all.
Good point. Plus, it certainly takes away from the cool factor having to 'disassemble' the car to load and unload it. I tried it again using short 2x12's and that was all it needed to clear. As you can see from the picture, it *almost* clears as is. I need to carry boards anyways for the tongue jack, such as for parking in grass, so two birds one stone.

And thanks to everyone for the nice comments. I'm taking the trailer out this weekend for its inaugural event.

Quick Reply: Joining the enclosed trailer club