Sponsored by:

Joining the enclosed trailer club

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Joining the enclosed trailer club

I've been towing my track and race cars around on an open deck steel trailer for years, and it's been fine for the most part except when it rains, it's cold, it's hot, or I can't get a garage space. In other words, an enclosed trailer would be awesome.

After researching and talking to trailer dealers around the country, I settled in on ATC or Intech as the two finalists, and Rezner Trailers in Oklahoma as the dealer based on recommendations on Rennlist. Rezner was awesome to deal with and I ended up placing an order for an Intech. 24 foot, cabinets up front, insulated, A/C, cabinets, tire racks, wireless winch, awning, etc. etc. The trailer won't be ready until late October - which will give more time to research all of the PitPal products I'll soon need

I'm going to try towing with my F-150 using an Equalizer hitch; hopefully that'll be a comfortable tow, otherwise an F-250 may be in my future. Intech estimates the trailer will weigh around 4,500 the way I've ordered it. (post about how I'm crazy to try towing this with an F-150 in 3...2...1....)

I'll post up pictures when it finally comes in.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Your total with car and other junk will be close to 9K (4500 includes cabinets?)

Figure car, several sets of wheels, misc junk in your mobile garage and jugs of fuel. It adds up.

Depends on how new the F150 is. The newer ones are rated to tow more weight. People will tell you that you can do it. You can get away with a lot. Doesn't make it safe or wise. Someone will chime in and say they use a 150 and are happy and have done panic stops without killing anyone etc - so its all so groovy.

If its a new F150 and you have the WD bars etc I am sure you can use it. Doesn't mean thats the best option.

You asked - so thats my response: Bigger is always better. Not even a gender issue.

I bought a Dodge 2500 Diesel and went with the long bed. Longer for more stability. I can accelerate up the steepest hill. The exhaust brake is fantastic. I need a 36 foot truck in NYC (Manhattan) like a hole in the head. But I do for towing.

But all that aside, I towed my 24 foot enclosed home from the race at CMP right through Hurricane Sandy.. Try THAT with an F150..

I don't think so..
Old 07-29-2013, 07:49 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

With the F150, if you put anything in the bed, you will probably exceed the recommended limit, or at least be knocking on the limit. Your tongue weight will be 1k lbs. Check the recommended limit on your hitch components. You may want to consider air springs or some type of supplemental spring to level the truck out. It will steer and brake better. I even put them on my F250 ( which also has a weight dist. hitch) and it helps significantly.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:12 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a new 24 ft intech, and have at least 3 people ask me about it at every track weekend. I know you'll be happy.

My trailer has a wireless in floor winch, couple extra cabinets, generator tray, in floor spare, 8 ft tire rack, fold down couch and table, couple other smaller extras. I don't have the A/C or awning that you have. Mine weighs just under 4400.

I was on scales a couple months ago, and with all my weekend "stuff" plus a 2700 lb car, the total weight was 7800 lbs.

I tow with a 2012 F150, super crew with the max tow package option, and ecoboost engine. The truck is rated for 11,200 lbs of towing, but most importantly has almost 1700 lbs payload. The payload allows for the trailer tongue weight (weighed at 980), for myself and one other and our luggage for the weekend.

I can tell you I never lack power towing the above mentioned load. Further all weights fall comfortably within the gross axle ratings. However, if you have a bigger load, or wish to fill all the seats in the truck, you will need to weigh carefully.

I use an equalizer brand hitch. It works very well, but make sure it's set up correctly and distributing the weight properly, using truck scales. Don't just eyeball it. Mine looked like everything was level, but was not distributing enough weight. With proper setup, the package tows very well.

Congratulations on your trailer
Old 07-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the towing advice, and I understand where you guys are coming from. I'm going to try towing it to the local tracks first, which are less than 2 hours away and luckily my part of the country is flat. My race car weighs around 2,000 pounds, so that's one factor in my favor. My payload capacity is 1,600 and I have the long wheel base F-150 (crew cab + 6.5 foot bed). We'll see how it goes.

BlueBarchetta: It's great to hear that you're happy with your Intech. The fold down couch sounds like a great idea. If you happen to have any pictures of the inside of your trailer and don't mind sharing, I'd love to see it.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have some bad iPhone pics from the day it was delivered I'd be happy to share. Unfortunately, I just deleted some others. If you are comfortable pm me your email address and I'll send them
Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Most of the tracks you will be towing to are relatively flat terrain to get to. Power shouldn't be an issue. What is going to get your attention are the cross winds. They can be 90 degrees to the road going up Hwy 6 and pretty stiff. That is where the bigger truck comes into play. I was in the same boat you are in now, as I had a F150 at the time. Go ahead and try it. If you want to see how an F250 pulls your trailer let me know and you can hook it to my truck as a comparison and give a test pull.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rlm328
Most of the tracks you will be towing to are relatively flat terrain to get to. Power shouldn't be an issue. What is going to get your attention are the cross winds. They can be 90 degrees to the road going up Hwy 6 and pretty stiff. That is where the bigger truck comes into play. I was in the same boat you are in now, as I had a F150 at the time. Go ahead and try it. If you want to see how an F250 pulls your trailer let me know and you can hook it to my truck as a comparison and give a test pull.
Thanks, Bob. I may take you up on that if I have a chance to meet you at TWS, MSR, etc. I'd obviously rather not replace my truck but will if warranted. I did add a Roadmaster to the rear suspension to help stiffen it up and help with sway.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

f150 can tow just about ANYTHING until you try a F250, F350 etc. then you know the difference.
but then again TX is flat. so maybe it will work. you wont make up the hill entering laguna seca. it's STEEP, F350's are know to blow out trannies getting up.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: This doesn't quite fall into the 'I told you so' category since I don't have my Intech trailer yet, but I traded my F-150 in for a 2013 F-250 diesel. I haven't towed with it yet, but it feels stouter and the torque is pretty crazy at 800 ft lbs.

On paper, my F-150 would have been within the weight limit, but just barely and with no additional cargo or passengers in the truck. No need to worry now with the F-250, although I still plan on using an Equalizer.

The new trailer should be ready in October. I'll post up pictures after it comes in.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:58 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OH BOY are you going to be a happy camper.

Now...go to TSS and get their wireless remote tire pressure sensors (I have the 507).

Inexpensive and a treat you'll wonder why you didn't far, far earlier. Great having real time pressures and temps from the tires on your trailer, with sudden loss and high temp warnings.

I don't even bother checking trailer tire pressure (manually) any longer, just hook up and go.

Any YES on the equalizer...good stuff. Bob's guy can set it up for you by the time you do the paperwork in his office.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the TST tip. That looks like a great system - it's on my to buy list.

http://www.tsttruck.com/Product_List.html
Old 08-30-2013, 05:43 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew_K
UPDATE: This doesn't quite fall into the 'I told you so' category since I don't have my Intech trailer yet, but I traded my F-150 in for a 2013 F-250 diesel. I haven't towed with it yet, but it feels stouter and the torque is pretty crazy at 800 ft lbs.

On paper, my F-150 would have been within the weight limit, but just barely and with no additional cargo or passengers in the truck. No need to worry now with the F-250, although I still plan on using an Equalizer.

The new trailer should be ready in October. I'll post up pictures after it comes in.

Now just trade in the trailer for a 36 footer and you are good to go
Old 08-30-2013, 07:41 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drew_K

You'll love the F250. I bought mine when I was into dirt bikes (enduros and hare scrambles). I pulled a 15,000 lb fifth wheel with four passengers up front. Once a year I would drive from Atlanta, over the mountains in Tennessee to the Indianapolis 500. Never a problem towing.

I use it to pull an open featherlite and my race car now and sometimes I forget it's there.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:06 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

If you still have the time get 16" wheels and run 10 ply utility LT tires. It always amazes me how crappy even the best trailer tires are. It will be 2-3 times the cost of a top of the line trailer tire but worth every penny. Last three times as long. You don't hesitate to spend $400 a corner for race rubber and then spend $70 a corner for the trailer. A blown race tire can wreck the car, a blown trailer tire can wreck the trailer, all your stuff, the truck AND the car....

Quick Reply: Joining the enclosed trailer club