probably edited out..
Old 08-03-2013, 11:02 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

RED BULL CONFIRMS HUNGARORING MEETING WAS ABOUT ALONSO

Saturday 3 August at 10:35 : Aug.3 (GMM) Red Bull has confirmed a meeting about Fernando Alonso took place with the Ferrari driver's manager at the Hungaroring last weekend.

Initially, the sensational story of a potential move to Red Bull for the two-time world champion was dismissed by some, as Alonso's manager Luis Garcia Abad also handles the career of rising Red Bull-backed youngster Carlos Sainz jr.

But when told his meeting with Garcia was obviously simply about the 18-year-old Sainz, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner told Sport Bild: "Nonsense.

"Why would I talk to him about Sainz jr, who has long been in the Red Bull junior team?"

Sainz jr drives for the GP3 team MW Arden, a collaboration between Mark Webber and Horner.

Clearly, Garcia and Horner might have something to talk about other than Alonso, but Red Bull is not hiding the fact the Hungaroring meeting was about Ferrari's number 1.

"I can't remember if we talked about Red Bull or Spanish red wine," a mischievous Dr Helmut Marko, the head of Red Bull's driver programme, told German television Sky.

With Australian Webber heading to Le Mans, Red Bull is weighing up a new teammate for Sebastian Vettel next year.

Earlier, although Kimi Raikkonen is also still in the running, it was believed Daniel Ricciardo had sped into pole position for the seat.

But Horner insists: "We have never been under pressure to take one of the junior drivers.

"We have won the world championships for the past three years, and we want to ensure we can carry on doing so in the future."

Nothing has been heard from Alonso's manager Garcia since the Hungaroring meeting, but still involved in the 32-year-old's driver career is the former Renault boss Flavio Briatore.

He told La Gazzetta dello Sport: "He has a contract and contracts must be respected.

"Alonso has never said he wants to leave."
Old 08-03-2013, 11:03 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Luca di Montezemolo has explained the reasoning behind his public scolding of Fernando Alonso.

Following the Hungarian Grand Prix the Ferrari president said he spoke to Alonso on his birthday and "tweaked his ear" over comments criticising the team. In an interview with Corriere della Sera, Montezemolo explained that he felt Alonso was putting himself above the team, something he was unhappy with.

"Fernando has given a lot in these last years and his disappointment, which came about mainly after Silverstone, where all of us expected to be more competitive, is understandable," Montezemolo said. "But I didn't like some attitudes, a few words, some outbursts. And I said so…I reminded everyone, including the drivers, that Ferrari comes before everything, the priority is the team."

Montezemolo added that he understands Alonso's frustrations but warned that "drivers come and go" at Ferrari.

"Our fans should never be forgotten, they deserve respect and therefore they are entitled to get satisfaction. We must work for Ferrari and for them. Let me make it clear that it's Ferrari I'm interested in. Drivers, we've had a lot, some very good, some great, but drivers come and go, while Ferrari remains.

"Fernando is a great driver and I understand him, he is a bit like me: he wants to win. He must just remember that one wins and loses together and for its part, Ferrari must give him a car capable of starting from the front two rows…It doesn't sit well with me seeing our car is not competitive. That's why I intervened, even if I didn't want to abuse my authority over my men."
Old 08-03-2013, 11:13 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hopefully this is just RBR demoralizing the Ferrari team by tweaking their diva driver...
Old 08-03-2013, 02:26 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Hopefully this is just RBR demoralizing the Ferrari team by tweaking their diva driver...
Well, it is apparent that Christian Horner is telling the truth and Marko playing coy is a way to turn the screw. I don't think RB wants DV. They took the meeting to fuel the flames that burn at Maranello. There are very few top teams that would take DV. I guess Lotus would, maybe Merc, but I can't see RB or McL getting involved with his drama.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Well, it is apparent that Christian Horner is telling the truth and Marko playing coy is a way to turn the screw. I don't think RB wants DV. They took the meeting to fuel the flames that burn at Maranello. There are very few top teams that would take DV. I guess Lotus would, maybe Merc, but I can't see RB or McL getting involved with his drama.
Nonsense.
Every team on the grid would want The Best Driver in F1 today, especially with a sponsor like Santander.

It would be karma if Luca fired Alonso, but I think he likes the sponsor's money a bit too much.

Of course for $500Million, he would take Alonso's superlicense, scratch out Alonso, write in Sirotkin and give him the seat.

It would truly be karma if Alonso were to never win a WDC for the famous Ferrari...he would be forgotten very quickly.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mgent
I'd bet Red Bull would accommodate those needs.. they don't need him for marketing, and nobody would buy a 'Kimi edition' infiniti anyways...
Don't they have the built-in bar?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Larry L
Race Car

Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Nonsense.
Every team on the grid would want The Best Driver in F1 today, especially with a sponsor like Santander.

It would be karma if Luca fired Alonso, but I think he likes the sponsor's money a bit too much.

Of course for $500Million, he would take Alonso's superlicense, scratch out Alonso, write in Sirotkin and give him the seat.

It would truly be karma if Alonso were to never win a WDC for the famous Ferrari...he would be forgotten very quickly.
It will be tough to forget the Spanish kid who beat the mighty Ferrari/Chin combo twice on the trot - regardless of his success or failure at the scuderia.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:26 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,898 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry L
It will be tough to forget the Spanish kid who beat the mighty Ferrari/Chin combo twice on the trot - regardless of his success or failure at the scuderia.
My favorite memory of Alonso will be when he texted De La Rosa about the stolen Ferrari secrets. My second favorite is when he tried to stick it to Ron Dennis by blackmailing him to be the McLaren #1 driver when a green rookie was leading him in the WDC points. My third favorite thing I'll remember about Alonso was when he conspired to run his teammate into a concrete wall to gain an advantage and win a meaningless race that had no implications for a WDC. I'll never forget.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Larry L
Race Car

Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

I'll always remember him as the kid who used a surrender monkey car to hand The Chin and Ferrari their collective asses.

Twice.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
My favorite memory of Alonso will be when he texted De La Rosa about the stolen Ferrari secrets. My second favorite is when he tried to stick it to Ron Dennis by blackmailing him to be the McLaren #1 driver when a green rookie was leading him in the WDC points. My third favorite thing I'll remember about Alonso was when he conspired to run his teammate into a concrete wall to gain an advantage and win a meaningless race that had no implications for a WDC. I'll never forget.
Enough said.

There would be absolutely nothing gained for RB for hiring DV, ,nothing.

Santander money? Team imploding and not winning constructor's championships would be way more.

Marketing? Alonso would bring nothing exiting to RB brand which is what they are about. Kimi would fill that void perfectly.

OK, we all like to speculate but this is beyond nonsense... DV at RB... Please.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:40 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pete
Pete,
Don't forget parking in the pits for an extra 10 seconds after his stop was complete, waiting for the signal from his physio, as Hamilton was stacked behind him.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:41 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Pete,
Don't forget Crashgate either..."I have no idea why I was light fueled after qualifying 15th"
Old 08-04-2013, 12:47 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I'll always remember him as the kid who used a surrender monkey car to hand The Chin and Ferrari their collective asses.

Twice.
Surrender monkey?
Please allow me to remind you...only once I might add, that this is not OT P&C.

And BTW, Alonso's 2nd WDC was due to an extremely rare Ferrari engine failure at Suzuka. IIRC, Schmacher and Ferrari had the race and WDC well in hand prior to that occurring.

And BTW #2, what has Alonso done since then? How many WDC has he brought home to Maranello?

And BTW #3, Mika and McLaren beat Schumacher in the WDC ... And I have infinitely more respect for Mika than Alonso.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

No one in Maranello cares about what DV did prior to joining Ferrari.
And without winning a WDC while driving for Ferrari, no one will remember him.

Quick Reply: NOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!