Sponsored by:

traqmate traqdash users, is traqstudio worth it

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:54 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default traqmate traqdash users, is traqstudio worth it

I bought a traqdash for my SRF and was wondering if the traqstudio feature is worth the extra money to combine the video and data.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 02:41 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Initially, I thought so, but now that I've started to learn to interpret the data a little better, I don't find that I end up loading up the video file all that often.

Having said that, it is far easier to remember which lap is which from looking at the video. I just wish it was synced better. If I start the traqmate in the paddock, I find that the offset can be as much as several seconds, even though I use the traqmate's cord to start the gopro.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:17 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use it with a compatible camera, like a Hero, the video sync is automatic. I find the video useful because it relays information that is not in the video: traffic, flags, etc.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:52 AM
caymancyr
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Eifeler
If you use it with a compatible camera, like a Hero, the video sync is automatic. I find the video useful because it relays information that is not in the video: traffic, flags, etc.
+1 - The video provides important information on intangibles that resulted in the data. Invaluable!

Old 07-25-2013, 11:44 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by caymancyr
+1 - The video provides important information on intangibles that resulted in the data. Invaluable!

+1
Old 07-25-2013, 12:10 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eifeler
Its automatic if you have the software? Because i do start my gopro with traqmate.

Thanks for all the replies!!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:12 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by ajcjr
Its automatic if you have the software? Because i do start my gopro with traqmate.

In my experience with this interface, there's 'automatic' and there's automatic. Yes, my GoPro does turn on (when it's in one button on mode) when the GPS gets a location lock. However, depending on the track, there may be a few seconds of offset between the data and the video until I correct it manually. It's not nearly as synced as I had hoped, but maybe I'm just doing something wrong.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr

A few things. The Traqmate will control the camera (ChaseCam, Hero 1 or Hero 2, Replay XD 1080) with the TraqSync cable specific to that camera.

The value of TraqStudio is in the ability to open the associated video file for the lap or laps or entire run in a separate window WITHIN the data analysis window of Traqview.

There are several other benefits to TraqStudio.

1) Without a connection to the camera (say you have a Contour, Drift or Aiptek), you can manually sync just about ANY video with the Traqmate logged data.

2) You can burn a video file in one of many different resolutions and sample rates for e-mailing, archiving or review before the next time of that lap, laps or run. This video file will have embedded in it, speed, tach (if it's hooked up), gear (if you've entered your ratios, diff and tire size and have a tach signal), g's and lap time cumulative to that point and the whole lap time. Easy.

3) The killer app. TraqStudio will splice the individual BEST SEGMENT video together to create your Theoretical Best Lap, IN VIDEO! Not even MoTeC will do this. (I sell both)

Yes, for $199, it's worth every penny.

Originally Posted by pontifex4
In my experience with this interface, there's 'automatic' and there's automatic. Yes, my GoPro does turn on (when it's in one button on mode) when the GPS gets a location lock. However, depending on the track, there may be a few seconds of offset between the data and the video until I correct it manually. It's not nearly as synced as I had hoped, but maybe I'm just doing something wrong.
I'd be willing to bet that the firmware version on your GoPro is post .124 (either .198 or .2XX), if so, the camera has a variable delay in start up. It's a grade-A PITA to backdate the firmware, but if you want it to work automatically as it should, you have to do that. For the solution, check out the Traqmate video support forums.

I like the Replay XD MUCH better...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-25-2013, 01:59 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The killer app. TraqStudio will splice the individual BEST SEGMENT video together to create your Theoretical Best Lap, IN VIDEO!

Nah!!!!

Too cool, I'll have to do some digging.

This one just might be a comedy of errors, all in the right places at the right times.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:11 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I'd be willing to bet that the firmware version on your GoPro is post .124 (either .198 or .2XX), if so, the camera has a variable delay in start up. It's a grade-A PITA to backdate the firmware, but if you want it to work automatically as it should, you have to do that. For the solution, check out the Traqmate video support forums.

I like the Replay XD MUCH better...
Peter, I'm almost certain that you're right. I'll take a look.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by KaiB
The killer app. TraqStudio will splice the individual BEST SEGMENT video together to create your Theoretical Best Lap, IN VIDEO!

Nah!!!!

Too cool, I'll have to do some digging.

This one just might be a comedy of errors, all in the right places at the right times.
Your box will do all this!

The really cool thing is that you can see often, the best gear, the best line, the right combination of control inputs, the right amount of yaw and the right attitude of the car in relation to the position in the corner from these videos.

You DID it, or you COULD have done it if you'd put it all together.

That's what I like to say, anyway...
Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for the replies and just to let everyone know i am using the Hero 3 with mine and it works great.

Peter i sent some emails to you as well.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Let me get this straight. Your TraqSync cable starts and stops your GoPro 3? I've never seen that work... Had to return my initial stocking order of Hero 3's and I do have a tremendous amount of experience with this combination.

I have heard you can start it with the Traqmate and the cable, but there is no support to stop it. GoPro changed the code from the Hero 1 and Hero 2.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:32 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like traqstudio. It's very nice to be able to do the data overlay and look at the video right in the application. It also helps you to skip around the video more easily. I use a Sony camera that is auto start/stopped by TM and it syncs up correctly.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:10 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like traqstudio as well. Combined with the user friendly data, It's the reason I have stuck with Traqmate.

Quick Reply: traqmate traqdash users, is traqstudio worth it