Sponsored by:

traqmate traqdash users, is traqstudio worth it

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Let me get this straight. Your TraqSync cable starts and stops your GoPro 3? I've never seen that work... Had to return my initial stocking order of Hero 3's and I do have a tremendous amount of experience with this combination.

I have heard you can start it with the Traqmate and the cable, but there is no support to stop it. GoPro changed the code from the Hero 1 and Hero 2.
it starts it but i manually stop it before i get out of the car. Yes its a pain but i only have the gopro1 and 3, didnt feel like buying another one.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,167 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
it starts it but i manually stop it before i get out of the car. Yes its a pain but i only have the gopro1 and 3, didnt feel like buying another one.
Usually, if the movie is a different length than the data file, it won't sync correctly or at all. Whatever works...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-26-2013, 09:52 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Usually, if the movie is a different length than the data file, it won't sync correctly or at all. Whatever works...
i havent synced the movie yet but i will let you know what happens.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Ah, hah! Let me know, but I think you'll get a black screen...
Old 07-26-2013, 10:14 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait, the Traqmate is also supposed to stop the GoPro? I have a Hero2, and it's definitely the latest firmware, so I'll have to try to backdate it, or whatever you call that when it's a video camera and not a 911.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

If it doesnt work hopefully they will refund my money for the software i just purchased. Does it work with gopro1 or just 2?Hate to buy another one.

Peter what other cameras have you used with the traqdash?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Works with the HD Hero (1) ok, HD Hero 2 well with the right fw, the Sony HDR-CX100/150 except for the video conversion from the proprietary .mts files, the ChaseCam PDR-100 and my favorite, the Repkay XD 1080.

They're very clear on the site that there is no support for the Hero 3. I just went through this last weekend at Road America, but I did use manual syncing in TraqStudio to put together some Hero 3 footage with data. Look for the Williams FW19 F1 footage on my FB page.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:45 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Or you can use Race Render (much cheaper), which now has a Mac version also. You have to export your data as a CSV file, but that takes 10 seconds to do. No affiliation, except that I use it. It does all the track data overlay, as well as allow you to do picture in picture for a second camera. It even has a PIP rear view mirror template that automatically flips the 2nd video side to side for those that use a rear facing camera to make it look like the rear view mirror image. It does take a while to render the new video file. Trackmate software is good because you can look at your video with data right away after the session without having to render the video. Not sure if you can do that with Race Render.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:41 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by linzman
Or you can use Race Render (much cheaper), which now has a Mac version also.

You have to export your data as a CSV file, but that takes 10 seconds to do. No affiliation, except that I use it. It does all the track data overlay, as well as allow you to do picture in picture for a second camera.

It does take a while to render the new video file.

Trackmate software is good because you can look at your video with data right away after the session without having to render the video.

Not sure if you can do that with Race Render.
Race Render, Dashware, TrackVision are all good, but I know few that have the patience and the time to do so between sessions or end-of-the-day, except AFTER the weekend...

None of these do what TraqStudio can do (stitching associated best data segment videos) or do so NEAR as quickly. Downside is TraqStudio is Traqmate only (although I have used Video VBOX Lite AVI videos manually synced to my Traqmate data when the GoPro doesn't work!?!?!)

Problem with your scenario is you FIRST have to open a Windows-only data analysis program in order to export the data as a .CSV file (which does only take 10 seconds, like you said), then switch to Apple OS X (if that's the version of Race Render you're using) to render the data laden video, then wait for that process to occur, and wait, and wait...

I agree, if you are going to do Picture-In-Picture, Race Render is great. I know Vince Lamanna (P.E.D. Products) loves it. As a coaching pro, I just don't have time.

Some of the folks I sell equipment to or work with are not interested in even the step of transferring two files (data from Traqmate, video from camera (connected or not by a TraqSync cable)) to the computer to combine after opening TraqStudio. Hence the increased sales in SmartyCam, Video VBOX Lite and Race-Keeper, which require neither step.

The folks that do use TraqStudio and use all of the features, are very happy.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Peter do you find the replay to have better video quality than the gopro? I may just anti up and by the replay so this works correctly.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, I think the Replay has far less judder, vibration (if you use their billet mount), FAR less edge of the picture distortion and seems far better made for the same money as the middle go pro. I have heard they had early teething problems (faulty batteries), and I do recommend breaking down and not only buying the control cable from the Traqmate but also the voltage drop transformer that keeps the camera charged. It's cool!

The mSD card is a pain and the camera is so adjustable that it'll take some time to optimize exposure/contrast/brightness, but it's a very good solution.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:55 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Oh, and get the external mic for $20. I have all of it in stock.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:45 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and get the external mic for $20. I have all of it in stock.
Peter: I have the Traqmate GoPro module. Would I need to replace it to be able to have my Traqdash control a Replay?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Depends. At least part of it.

If you have the TraqSync cable (with blue single lead tach pigtail) and a female-to-female RJ-45 connector, just buy the TraqSync cable that goes from the Replay XD 1080 (screws in the back) to the RJ-45 male and you're done. Be sure to switch the camera in the TraqDash from the GoPro to the Replay. You'll need the new box between the sensor unit and the camera to include charging capability. PM me for more...
Old 07-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally use http://www.trackvision.net/ software with my Gopro and Traqmate. I have been for about 4 or 5 years. It has treated me well.

Quick Reply: traqmate traqdash users, is traqstudio worth it