Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you unhook a trailer for a car on it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:59 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Never insert ***** into socket while standing in a puddle
Old 07-09-2013, 11:34 PM
NascarRacn
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chaos
NEVER EVER unhook the trailer with a car on it while stradeling the front of the tongue.
+1
Old 07-09-2013, 11:45 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

its only a problem at the track... when people stand on your trailer to see the race.

but, chock the tires front / back and throw a jack stand in front and back for peace of mind.

just in case someone jumps up to look at the car while you're away
Old 07-10-2013, 11:14 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
If you must take off your car unhooked from the tow vehicle chock the trailer wheels so it doesnt move forward and put jackstands at the *** end of the trailer.
+1
Old 07-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile Yada, yada...all of the above...

In addition, I would have a "Denver Boot" on the trailer, and one on the car. I'd also have a trailer ball lock.

Thieves just love to steal racecars off unattended trailers.

If you are really paranoid, have Lojack installed on the race car.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile Denver Boot? Maybe not!

Whoops, the bit about the "Denver Boot" may be bad advice, see: http://cyber.eserver.org/das_boot.txt

I had to leave my trailer for the day, had some business to attend to. I took the trailer to a Porsche Independent shop and asked permission to leave it there for a day..they were OK with this.

Too many creeps out there these days. I have jacks on all four corners of my trailer. If a wave of paranoia were to wash over me, I could jack the trailer up and remove all four trailer wheels, put the wheels and lug nuts in my trailer bed, or cab if you have extended cab. Lojack on the race car would be nice too.

Originally Posted by Martin S.
In addition, I would have a "Denver Boot" on the trailer, and one on the car. I'd also have a trailer ball lock.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:26 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
If you must take off your car unhooked from the tow vehicle chock the trailer wheels so it doesnt move forward and put jackstands at the *** end of the trailer.
+1 more.

You can use the tongue jack on the trailer to raise the front and put a reasonable amount of pressure on the jackstands.

And as already mentioned, if the trailer is properly balanced, you should be able to raise the tongue above the hitch ball without any problem. If it starts tipping before that, you need to adjust the car's position on the trailer, or add more weight up front, like tires, toolbox, fuel jugs, etc. If there's any concern at all, you may want to consider moving the car forward on the trailer just as a precaution.

As a rule of thumb, I tend to consider where the weight balance midpoint is on the car, and then try to position that slightly ahead of the trailer axle(s) mid-point. Its a good starting point; a tongue weight scale can help you fine tune. A properly balance trailer also tows much nicer.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 AM
disapr
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want approximately 10-12% of the gross trailer weight to be over the tongue when the trailer is level.

3000# Trailer
2800# Car
500# Gear

6300# total = 630-756 pounds measured at the tongue.

This measurement should be done when the trailer is loaded as you would head to the track. Most trailer parts/repair shops have tongue scales and will check it for a small fee or free in my area.

Anyway, when your trailer is properly set up, you can disconnect it from the tow vehicle fully loaded with no issue and you don't need jack stands - Just very good chocks.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:57 AM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.

Just remove the steering wheel from the car and the kill switch to off. It would take some more than an opportunist to take it.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Just put a jack stand or 2 under the rear of the trailer and make sure the tongue wheel and/or rear wheels are chocked

Quick Reply: Can you unhook a trailer for a car on it?