Sponsored by:

Brake caliper rebuild frequency?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Brake caliper rebuild frequency?

How often?
DIY?
Rebuild sourced from?
Tips?
Paint at same time?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 01:28 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

totally depends on the car -- hp, weight, top speed, caliper and rotor size, ducting etc... my Lotus Super Seven? have never rebuilt the calipers ever (I've owned it for 19 yrs now; maybe done 9k race miles or so with it). still on the original (non vented!) rotors too. its just so light and so low powered (and slow; no top speed) that it is incredibly easy on brakes. now, my Honda racecar --- that thing burns out pads and rotors at an amazing rate (I'm running big 11" Type R rotors and dual piston Legend GS calipers on it, and it uses a set of front rotors every single day; pads last about 2 days, and the calipers typically need looking at every 10 weekends). the Honda is 2400 lbs and is over 400 whp and has a top end of 160+ mph. My Probe is somewhere in between -- I've only rebuilt the calipers on it twice in its racing life. (the brake kit on it is of my own design and uses 12.2" front rotors and dual piston Millenia S front calipers. the car weighs 2700 lbs and makes around 160 whp with a top speed of about 125 mph). rotors last about 25-30 weekends on it, and pads last about 10 weekends. so I guess you could say the answer to your question is 'your mileage may vary!'.

Todd
ReidSpeed
Old 07-12-2013, 01:11 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check for seal 'crustiness' as well as smooth movement of pistons

Quick Reply: Brake caliper rebuild frequency?