Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you remember your first Black Flag? Were you scared or pissed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:15 AM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's funny. Maybe I'm too green or something, but that starter pulled a helluva dick move to start him LAST. Is that sort of petty tyranny typical or does this video show one of the biggest jerks I could ever hope to come across?
Old 07-10-2013, 07:30 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by leejo
That's funny. Maybe I'm too green or something, but that starter pulled a helluva dick move to start him LAST. Is that sort of petty tyranny typical or does this video show one of the biggest jerks I could ever hope to come across?
Driver did not make the false grid on time, then tried to insert himself in the starting order as cars were released. The grid person properly prevented this. Then, when finally released, passed nearly everyone on the pace lap in order to get back to his qualifying position.

Grid person did nothing wrong. Driver should have been arrested on the spot and sent to Novosibirsk for incredible stupidity & arrogance
Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 AM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Yeah I thought some more about it last and I have to agree. It seemed like a dick move but what were they supposed to do - hold up the entire start and go have a chat with that nut who won't go when told to go and won't sit still when told to stop? Totally agree.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:50 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Driver did not make the false grid on time,...
I don't see this in the video.

Grid person did nothing wrong.
I disagree. He was in the grid. A car was released from his left. She also pointed to him for a release but he hesitated for a second, not wanting to go ahead of the car he thought should have been in front. He should have just gone when pointed but I didn't know that grid release was a 'you snooze, you lose' type situation.

I completely agree that what he did in the pace lap was idiotic and inexcusable.

Last edited by hf1; 07-10-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

the video does not tell the full story, IIRC
Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

the video does not tell the full story, IIRC
I agree, but the fact that she did point at him for release was confirmation enough for me that he was in the grid on time. His only mistake up to that point was listening to his conscience (about not gaining a grid spot unfairly) and hesitating to go for 900ms. Making him sit and watch 70 cars go buy in front of him was lame, IMO.

This was his 2nd race ever, and he was just pushed 70 places back in the grid for no apparent reason, so maybe we should cut the guy some slack. I also liked his self-deprecating sarcasm in (what I assume was) his video.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:15 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Yikes. I've never been black flagged. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

for passing under a yellow I couldn't see - large sedan between me in a Spec Racer and the flag station. but just in a practice session - no harm done
Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

fwiw, I've worked grid... (scca and pca)

Regardless if you were gridded in the right spot or not, when you are given the 1 min warning, and then told to go, you can go, or, you wait till all cars are cleared.

This is the same as if your car didn't start, didn't have your belts on, or other mechanical issues.

if you miss the grid you are often started from pit lane after the green flag. (they close the grid at 3 or 1 min depending on race control)

The correct thing to have done was alert the grid staff well before the 3 minute warning.

-Passing under double yellows on the pace lap? at VIR?

I'm actually shocked they let him finish the race... he should have been black flagged on lap 2 for passing under double yellows.

-its still my favorite video, way better than 'I drive flat out'.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:52 PM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Yeah that's where I landed in my thinking - the time to sort out the order is NOT while all 70 cars are pulling onto the track. Gotta go with what you got by then.

In most other sports, if you're not ready to go when the guy tells you to go, you're DQ'd. So starting last isn't nearly as harsh a penalty for wanting to have a chat or suffering mechanical issues as it could be.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
fwiw, I've worked grid... (scca and pca)

Regardless if you were gridded in the right spot or not, when you are given the 1 min warning, and then told to go, you can go, or, you wait till all cars are cleared.

This is the same as if your car didn't start, didn't have your belts on, or other mechanical issues.

if you miss the grid you are often started from pit lane after the green flag. (they close the grid at 3 or 1 min depending on race control)

The correct thing to have done was alert the grid staff well before the 3 minute warning.

-Passing under double yellows on the pace lap? at VIR?

I'm actually shocked they let him finish the race... he should have been black flagged on lap 2 for passing under double yellows.

-its still my favorite video, way better than 'I drive flat out'.
Correct. People thinking this clownshoe was somehow "picked on" or that the grid worker acted inappropriately need to buy a dog and name him Clue.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:37 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

One or two times. My reaction is embarrassment.

That includes a student who was black flagged for a pass without a point by. I thought I saw it and so did he. I told him to go, go, go. Flagger didn't see it. I went down to pit out afterwards and told the track meister that this was on me. I was sure we had a pass signal and I told my student to go. As the instructor I was responsible - I wanted it clear that this was not the students fault.

Once I got black flagged for a pass while under open passing rules at NJMP/Lightning T5 (the hump) and the other car (Miata) apparently went off while tracking out. The flagger thought that I had forced the Miata off. The other driver was gracious enough to tell them that she went off ALL ON HER OWN (her words) and it had nothing to do with me. She made a point of telling them three times (Thanks Mindy!) before they believed her. I really appreciated that.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:35 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Correct. People thinking this clownshoe was somehow "picked on" or that the grid worker acted inappropriately need to buy a dog and name him Clue.
People. They're the worst.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:09 PM
leejo
Burning Brakes

VR just fails to grasp my broader view of that TYPE of situation...

Last edited by leejo; 07-10-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:15 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jhg41977
First day on the track and first time I was driving. My instructor took me out for a few orientation laps then turned the car over to me. Got a black flag a few laps in, scared me a bit because I was already nervous and now I apparently did something very wrong. Turns out my instructor had his arm out the window.
That's an instructing technique. Not going to say much more except that it is rarely ever used during the orientation laps. :-)

Quick Reply: Do you remember your first Black Flag? Were you scared or pissed?