Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you remember your first Black Flag? Were you scared or pissed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Do you remember your first Black Flag? Were you scared or pissed?

My first was for an open sunroof when I was a novice. I was scared I'd done something wrong!!

Other memorable ones have been for aggression... passing without a signal... and kicking dirt onto the track by repeatedly putting the inside wheels on the grass at apex.

Oh yeah, once I forgot to put my window net up for a race... I qualified well and got black flagged on the pace lap. Doh!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My first black flag was for blocking...... go figure, if they can't pass me in a race, they have me flagged.....
Old 07-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

I was amused & curious...
Old 07-08-2013, 10:13 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Mine was for a sunroof too! The corner workers kept pointing to their heads, and then to the sky, and i had no idea why. Got to the station where the black flag was flown, and drove from there in to the hot pits still having no idea what was up.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I was amused & curious...
Me too, turns out you can't drop four wheels in T1 at Sebring during DE...
My argument was that I had full control (I did) so I didn't see the need to come in but they disagreed.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:39 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Blocking. I thought others did it to me so I can start doing it too, but had no idea that I had to be the first to claim the defensive line to avoid being flagged for blocking. The black flag was a small tuition for a good lesson learned.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Royally pissed once I found out why

Mine was for crossing over the blend line (by less than a wheel width) as we were released from pits for qualifying. Noone on track, etc. We were all being released through the pits from grid.

I got my warm up lap done, started my Q lap and then get the black flag and number sign. Come in totally confused. I proceed to get a 2 minute lecture on the blend line and even part of a tire width is the end of the world. I'm livid now, but very quiet, saying sorry, won't happen again, my bad, thought that was only on a hot track, etc. Go back out, get warmed up and checker flag comes out.

Pulled video, went over to Chief Steward, showed him video. Explained how incredibly displeased I was that I lost one of the four sessions (and was starting DFL as well, approximately 20 cars behind my normal lap times) I had paid for because of them incorrectly interpreting rules (blend line is not enforced upon release from grid) and then spending time lecturing me on it in black flag pits ruining my Qualifying session.

Proceeded to watch Chief Steward go to black flag steward and tell him how he royally screwed up and screwed up one racers weekend and that he needed to realize that we are all out here for fun and that power trips will not be tolerated. He then got on the radio and told S/F that enforcing blend line rule upon release from grid is not correct. He then came back to me and apologized again and pointed out that I would have no problem getting hard charger.

That was my one and only black flag at a race.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Decent band. Wait, what?

Oh, wrong black flag. My first black flag was for...I don't know why I got black flagged, but my guess is that they thought I'd either made contact with or dropped wheels off to avoiod the car that spun directly in front of me at a LeMons race. It was a crap call, regardless, but even worse was the fact that it was my first time out at MSR-Houston and I couldn't for the life of me figure out where pit-in was. So, after a couple laps of waving at flag stand people and making "I see you!" gestures, I finally found something that looked like it went somewhere back towards the pits.

Derp.

So, I guess I was frustrated and bit scared (more of my team's reaction than anyone else's, heh) because I didn't know what I did, and I didn't know how to pit in to find out what they think I did.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:24 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was for "supposedly" passing Knut NNJR chief instructor without a point by at VIR.
What a douche bag he is.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine was a double!!
Laguna Secca sound violation, I was running nose to tail with a guy and they flagged me AFTER I had just gotten a 89 db reading 10 min earlier.

I had to park for the rest of the day since I didn't come in on the first flag.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Royally pissed once I found out why

Mine was for crossing over the blend line (by less than a wheel width) as we were released from pits for qualifying. Noone on track, etc. We were all being released through the pits from grid.

I got my warm up lap done, started my Q lap and then get the black flag and number sign. Come in totally confused. I proceed to get a 2 minute lecture on the blend line and even part of a tire width is the end of the world. I'm livid now, but very quiet, saying sorry, won't happen again, my bad, thought that was only on a hot track, etc. Go back out, get warmed up and checker flag comes out.

Pulled video, went over to Chief Steward, showed him video. Explained how incredibly displeased I was that I lost one of the four sessions (and was starting DFL as well, approximately 20 cars behind my normal lap times) I had paid for because of them incorrectly interpreting rules (blend line is not enforced upon release from grid) and then spending time lecturing me on it in black flag pits ruining my Qualifying session.

Proceeded to watch Chief Steward go to black flag steward and tell him how he royally screwed up and screwed up one racers weekend and that he needed to realize that we are all out here for fun and that power trips will not be tolerated. He then got on the radio and told S/F that enforcing blend line rule upon release from grid is not correct. He then came back to me and apologized again and pointed out that I would have no problem getting hard charger.

That was my one and only black flag at a race.
exact same thing happened to me, at a track day though not a race.

I was pretty pissed that they ruined a session instead of calling me to the tower after the session was over. oh well, live and learn..
Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember if it was my first, but the first/only non-excursion related black flag I've received was for an unlatched hood.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did I do.. The checkered flag had just been thrown and on my cool down lap, I was black flagged. Since the race had ended, I proceeded to the pits to park instead of going to the hot pits to find out why I had been black flagged. The clerk of the course came running up to me and asked with a very stern face if I knew why I had been black flagged. I said no. He then smiles and said he wanted me to come into the hot pits so he could give me the checked flag for a parade lap. I had just won my very first race !!

Haven't been black flagged since but have won many more races since..

Old 07-09-2013, 12:03 AM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok, few here;
-first I remember was for being to loud at Lime Rock
-last one in WGI club race for jumping a start and passing safety car

I tought that was normal - that is what I learned from guy a front of me that weekend ( my second rookie weekend race)
Old 07-09-2013, 12:16 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

My first black flag (well, two in the same day) at Lime Rock for being above the noise limit. I was a bit embarrassed and also frustrated because I had thought I would be OK noise-wise (little did I know that 89 dB was a lot quieter than I thought it was...)

Quick Reply: Do you remember your first Black Flag? Were you scared or pissed?