Thinking about Chump Car of LeMons

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:44 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,117 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Default Thinking about Chump Car of LeMons

A couple of years back I bought a BMW 325i with the intent of converting it into a Chump of LeMons car. Unfortunately, despite the initial enthusiasm of some of my friends none came through. I think the problem is none of them were real car guys and overestimated what was involved to field a team. The 325 has since left but my desire to go racing has not.

I figure now is the time to start thinking about next year so I'm looking to see if there are 3-5 people who want to talk about fielding a car next year. Probably makes sense that they live close to Fairfield County, CT. My idea is to have fun and get seat time for each of the participants.

I keep a good supply of beer (including some home brew), cigars, tools, plasma torch, and a cheap welder. Had to leave my lift behind when I moved as the ceiling of my current garage doesn't permit it.

Depending on the series I am thinking about Monticello, Watkins Glen or whatever is closest in 2014. Any takers?
Old 07-04-2013, 02:35 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Luigi, I thought Chump and LeMons were two different series. Which one did you have in mind?

Maybe post your request on the ChumpCar forum. Here's a team looking for a driver for the Nelson Ledges race on July 13, I think: LINK.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:50 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I'm open to either series - meant the title to be Chump Cars "or" LeMons, not of.

Nelson Ledges is a little far for me but good idea to check the forums of those series. I figure I will try my luck here and see if anyone is interested.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:31 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Doing the Chumpcar thing starting at the Glen next year. Currently in the process of gutting and caging a Golf. Can't wait. Definitely check out the Chumpcar forums, especially with respect to the rules. John Condron at Chump is revising the rule book starting in September and will be set in stone for 3 years.

PM me some time if you want to chat and I will let you know my teams plans. Good luck!!!

Mike

Old 07-04-2013, 10:29 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know how active you are in your local track-tard scene, but the most reliable people on the couple teams I've been on were found via track shenanigans. They already know how expensive and time intensive it is to put a car together, they've probably either done or had friends do LeMons/ChumpCar before and want to get on a team themselves, and they won't have their first track experience be in your car.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I drove (and prepared) a 944 for ChumpCar in the Glen race this year. The team was all PCA DEers, so they knew what to expect in cost and preparation. None had done wheel-to-wheel racing before, and all had a blast.

It was a fun experience and we'd all do it again. I do know some other people who asked to be on the team, but we were already full. I can pass their names on, if you wish.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:29 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
I drove (and prepared) a 944 for ChumpCar in the Glen race this year. The team was all PCA DEers, so they knew what to expect in cost and preparation. None had done wheel-to-wheel racing before, and all had a blast.

It was a fun experience and we'd all do it again. I do know some other people who asked to be on the team, but we were already full. I can pass their names on, if you wish.
That is just what I am looking for - thanks Van!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:32 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We have been chumping now for about 3 years, and having a blast. For the most part, all PCA guys. We were also at the glen this year and had a blast.

You will have a blast, but you need to find guys based off what your expectations for the team are. If you have guys that are willing to pay someone to work on the car because they don't have the mechanical skills (but want to drive), and other guys that are willing to work on the car, and refuse to pay anyone to do the work, it gets a little dicey seeing eye to eye, especially when it comes down to money. A few teams have had to restructure around here because of that, and have gone to 1 guy owning the car and worrying about getting it prepped, and then selling driving spots to the rest at each event (essentially making it arrive and drive for the other members). Go in with the expectation that each guy is going to spend $1000-1200 a weekend to race (entry fees/fuel/tires/brakes/other consumables). For the seat time in wheel to wheel, that ain't bad.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:59 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought Chump and Lemons had a $500 limit on car purchase? How are you guys running 944s and BMWs?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:09 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
I thought Chump and Lemons had a $500 limit on car purchase? How are you guys running 944s and BMWs?
LeMons allows you to sell off parts on a full car to get the cost under the $500 limit and Chump lists the 944 (early non-turbo models, at least) on its list of "we know this is a $500 car" cars.

Shoot, I might even profit on the new shell I picked up since it came with an almost-full interior. Individual parts get pricey. Full cars, not so much.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:38 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

If you surf Craiglist you can find bargains.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:49 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
If you surf Craiglist you can find bargains.
Even if it means that you and a couple of your friends post some cars for sale at the $500 mark. I.E., if you can find some adds for $500 944's or Bimmers, it means that they are $500 cars.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chumps requires you to prove the "type" of car you bring can be bought on the open market fo $500 (AIV) in drive able condition 10X.

It's tough but possible for both 944's and BMW's. e36's are automatic $500 in chumps, no AIV required.

Chumps is a blast. I would recommend it. You can make it as competitive as you want, or as cheap or expensive as you want.

As Porschedoc says, picking team members with common goals and expectations is important.

My motto is never quit.

Last edited by samluke; 07-05-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:35 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
Even if it means that you and a couple of your friends post some cars for sale at the $500 mark. I.E., if you can find some adds for $500 944's or Bimmers, it means that they are $500 cars.
I legit bought my 325i for $250. Hoping for another deal.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
Not a problem. Here's how we found our 944. And it was actually free.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Thinking about Chump Car of LeMons