Sponsored by:

Thinking about Chump Car of LeMons

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:37 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Now that I sold the SRF I'm looking for some teams to jump onto as well. The forums have some pretty good tips. I do like they finally made a list of cars that are 500 bucks. Gives people leeway to find a car that may be 1000 bucks because they just arne't lucky at finding a 500 example of the same car.

The only thinng I've noticed is the quality of cage work is highly variable. Along with seats. Lots of really cheaply done, minimalist cars out there that I won't ever get in.
FYI: In chumps, it doesn't matter how much you paid. It's what you could have paid (proven by AIV (average internet value of 10 ads from multiple regions).

You pay $2k for the car -- but you can find 10 appropriate adds for $250 -- $250 is you AIV if you can defend/prove those ads.

My 924S AIVs just under $400, then I have a few go fast parts tacked on
to put it just under $500. (camber plates, strut brace, roll bars -- there is a formula for those).

I will say that for certain cars a current AIV search may yield higher than in years past due to LeMons/Chumps.
Folks with crappy cars that run realize they can get at least $500 for them :-)

In the end we don't really care about the AIV -- since my team is very unlikely to podium -- we're just not that skilled.

Mike
Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

^^ I like that
Old 07-22-2013, 02:18 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,767 Posts

So far I have two people who have expressed an interest. Bump to see if anyone else in the CT area is interested. There has to be a few more people who want to get involved in some good old fashioned wheel to wheel racing!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:19 PM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sport looks amazing. In a perfect world, you'd be allowed to chuck your empty beer bottles at each other during the race. Good luck assembling your crew!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:45 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2013, 04:58 PM
leejo
Burning Brakes

a little from column a, a little from column b.

It looks way too fun for "rules" is my point, I guess.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:36 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We just got back from Chump car at BIR. 10th on saturday 7 hour and 5th on sunday 7 hour of 55 cars. There isn't anything chump about this series that is for sure. Well prepared and fast cars, along with some pretty damn fast drivers. The e30's are damn near impossible to beat. Taking 5th on Sunday, we had about 35 minutes of race time left after a red flag incident on Sunday. 6th place and I were 1-3 seconds apart for the last 15 laps or so. What an amazingly fun finish. 4 second difference between a place after 7 hours of racing is awesome.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:03 PM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Oh well that sounds serious. The chump car videos I've seen usually involve blue smoke and seem much more akin to a Flugtag event.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by leejo
Oh well that sounds serious. The chump car videos I've seen usually involve blue smoke and seem much more akin to a Flugtag event.
I'd say when they first started it was more of "see if your POS can finish without totally blowing up" thing, but it has turned into some pretty serious, but fun racing. Guys who have been doing it awhile will show up with WELL prepared cars. If you have to come into the pits for anything more than your standard fuel/driver change, even something as simple as swapping tires, it very likely will pull you out of a top 10 finish.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:43 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good job and well done for all of you Karl.

Yes, this is serious racing up front - with serious drivers and crews.

Don't invest too much time worrying about Leejo....
Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 PM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KaiB
Don't invest too much time worrying about Leejo....
I see you've met my wife.

Sorry for the confusion. I really thought chump car was more like a Top Gear challenge than an actual race - who wins the race is far less important than who has the biggest cockup.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ninjacoco
So, yes and no to the "rubbin's racin'" shenanigans.

LeMons has a pretty zero tolerance policy for that. It still happens, but they're very quick to bring in all parties (even those who just got punted and aren't at fault) after contact--which kind of blows, but I guess that's their way of dealing with a bunch of wildly varying levels of talent and no prior driving/school/licensing requirements.
This is exactly why I stopped doing Lemons. They put over 120 cars on NHMS (just over a mile) and it was bumper cars out there with a car even rolling over. I have heard Chump is better and more about racing. I found Lemons more about making money.
I can't tell you how many times our team got punted by a driver who didn't know what they were doing, ending both of us in the penality box for extensive time.
I also believe it is cheaper to buy a car already built. We bought and built our GTI (with everything) for about $5K. We sold it in the fall for $2.5K I think. The guy buying it got a top 10 car for cheap money.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
I also believe it is cheaper to buy a car already built.
Jay, this applies to every form of racing I've ever come across...
Old 07-23-2013, 02:02 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
Jay, this applies to every form of racing I've ever come across...
Amen to that! Even when you buy someone else's car racing is not cheap. Between repairs, mods and tires it took me a little under two years to "buy my car again". With all the money I have dumped into it the car is [I]maybe[I] worth $750 more than I paid for it.

Clearly racing is not the fast path to a large retirement account!

Back on topic, I may be leaning more toward chump car just because it sounds a little more serious and because of the AIV method of buying a car.

I've received more messages from interested parties but I am sure a few will drop out once we get serious. Please feel free to message me if you want to race and have a good time.

btw - I have it on good authority that you are not allowed to chuck beer bottles at each other during the race.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:46 PM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
btw - I have it on good authority that you are not allowed to chuck beer bottles at each other during the race.
Pity...Some day my dream of recreating the Ben Hur chariot race with cars and bottles will come true. The perfect confluence of auto-racing, demolition derby, MMA, and beer.

Good luck building the team.

Quick Reply: Thinking about Chump Car of LeMons