Sponsored by:

Harness shoulder belt advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:52 AM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Harness shoulder belt advice needed

I just bought a Sparco 6 point harness for my 911. It came with snap in hardware(eye bolts). My previous harness used a 3 bar slide wrap for the shoulder belts wrapping around the cage harness bar. What I need advise on is it looks like the Hans shoulder belt would like to be mounted centerline in the car to get some angle on the belts( 20 degrees ?). Anchoring the shoulder belts at the rear seat belt mounting points and going over the harness bar crossing the belts seems to be OK. What do you think and thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:48 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 293 Posts

Not an expert, but have been researching this and plan to install Schroth 6 pts in my Cayman. Can you just unthread the clips and then wrap the shoulder harness to the bar? Schroth website has detailed instructions on geometry etc. They recommend the straps be as short as possible and don't recommend the rear seat anchor points as it leaves the straps long and they will stretch more in an impact. If the roll/harness bar is more than 500mm (20in) from the seat then the straps should be crossed. I plan to use split collars to keep the straps at the correct angle. Hope that helps.

Last edited by zedcat; 06-28-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: added
Old 06-28-2013, 02:16 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zedcat
Not an expert, but have been researching this and plan to install Schroth 6 pts in my Cayman. Can you just unthread the clips and then wrap the shoulder harness to the bar? Schroth website has detailed instructions on geometry etc. They recommend the straps be as short as possible and don't recommend the rear seat anchor points as it leaves the straps long and they will stretch more in an impact. If the roll/harness bar is more than 500mm (20in) from the seat then the straps should be crossed. I plan to use split collars to keep the straps at the correct angle. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the advice. My cage doesnt have a guide on the harness bar so i like the idea using the split collars. i find it interesting that the Sparco stores or website dont seem to have the three-bar slide buckles for sale and the belts come with only option with the clip ends. Ill check the Stroth website.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:32 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

I just looked at all the information on the Schroth website and now wish I bought their harness. I ordered the 3 bar clamps from them. Thanks again
Old 06-28-2013, 02:57 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 293 Posts

Glad it helped. Yes Schroth has quality stuff though a little pricey. I got their GT3 specific harness since I have the sport bucket seats. Have to say setting up is more complex than I first thought.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:17 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Remember when mounting the shoulder belts that HANS recommends only a 3-4" gap between the shoulder belts when wrapped around a harness bar.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:22 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also remember that the longer the belt is the more it will stretch - ie the closer you will come to hitting something when the belts are placed are placed under duress. I think the common approach is to wrap straight to the harness bar and keep the belts as short as possible. Not sure why you can't recycle the the 3-bars from your old harnesses. I don't think they have a shelf life.

Quick Reply: Harness shoulder belt advice needed