Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ChumpCar Racing...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013 | 08:51 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Default ChumpCar Racing...

Any of you folks doing chumpcar or Lemons racing?? Did my first event last weekend at Charlotte and when I got back I ran out and bought a car... Some of the funnest time I have ever had behind the wheel of a car, and VERY competitive!!
Old 06-27-2013 | 09:53 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Been Chumping for the last 3 years, and now own my own car/team.

Bunch of fun. I am now doing more Chump events than PCA.

Very serious, and competitive racing.

Next race Brainerd
Old 06-28-2013 | 08:21 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

I'd love to drive on a team, but I couldn't find enough guys that were interested.
Old 06-28-2013 | 08:51 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Well we'll be throwing out the invites (pay to drive of course) once our car is sorted. We plan to do the full east coast schedule next year. Not sure how many more we'll be able to do with this car this season but the AIV for next season puts the car in a very good position.

Mike
Old 06-28-2013 | 11:05 AM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

I've done a LeMons race and have sorta tried a Chump one. I like both series. Tons of seat time (vehicle permitting) for not a lot of money. Good bunch of people at both. Do eeeeeeet.

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
I'd love to drive on a team, but I couldn't find enough guys that were interested.
There's always people looking to fill extra seats. Check the Chump and LeMons forums (linked off of chumpcar.com and 24hoursoflemons.com). TBH, I'd usually recommend going with someone who has a decent track record of running the whole race.
Old 06-28-2013 | 12:23 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Have the host car for lemons but it's been sitting in my garage forever. Need to get my *** on it ie strip/safety. It's a 94 BMW 325is. Mike
Old 06-28-2013 | 12:25 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Doing Chump Car at Sebring in September..good times. E30
Old 06-28-2013 | 01:35 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

I am on a Lemons team - we have a pretty competitive 944 (several top 10's including two 3rd places). It is a blast but you do have a lot of very inexperienced drivers on the track that you need to watch out for. My understanding is Chump Car does not have first time track drivers, or least not as many, and therefore tends to be more focused on competitive racing. Lemons has those drivers, as well, but you will have plenty of first time track drivers - at the last even I did at Autobahn Country Club half the drivers raised their hands when asked if this was their first time racing... Still, that said, it is a riot and I get out of the car every time with a smile on my face.
Old 06-28-2013 | 01:46 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by certz
I am on a Lemons team - we have a pretty competitive 944 (several top 10's including two 3rd places). It is a blast but you do have a lot of very inexperienced drivers on the track that you need to watch out for. My understanding is Chump Car does not have first time track drivers, or least not as many, and therefore tends to be more focused on competitive racing. Lemons has those drivers, as well, but you will have plenty of first time track drivers - at the last even I did at Autobahn Country Club half the drivers raised their hands when asked if this was their first time racing... Still, that said, it is a riot and I get out of the car every time with a smile on my face.
Chump encourages anyone and everyone to participate. Without eperience a new driver has to attend class before going on track.

Chumps is fairly had core racing and seems to be getting more intense. Drivers are respectfull of each other (at least in the Mid West). Lemons appears to be lower key and more theatrical.

Both are great series to be able to race at a low cost, and without risking expensive equipment.

Chumps is a bunch of fun as is PCA. Chumps is low cost with a slow/long burn intensity level. PCA is high burn short duration.
Old 06-28-2013 | 01:46 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by ninjacoco
I've done a LeMons race and have sorta tried a Chump one. I like both series. Tons of seat time (vehicle permitting) for not a lot of money. Good bunch of people at both. Do eeeeeeet.
Saw your write-up on Jalopnik. Looked like bad luck all around. Sorry to see that. Better luck next time.
Old 06-28-2013 | 02:17 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

I did one race in Lemons --- then switched to Chumps full time 3 years ago.

Working to get into PCA.

We run a 924S and a 944.

Chumps does have new drivers on track, there are also a lot of former and current SCCA/NASA/PCA racers as well.

The competition is high here in Texas -- competitive lap times have been dropping several seconds every year. What was competitive times 3 years ago is mid-pack at best. Equipment? Seat time? Drivers Skills, probably a little of each.

Mike
Old 06-28-2013 | 02:39 PM
AtlJimK
Pro

Racing Sebring 14 hours in September with a few other RL'ers.
Old 06-28-2013 | 02:44 PM
Larry L
Race Car

Chump looks like a blast. I've been kicking it around with some friends. Eventually we'll make it happen.

Does the LeMons series still crush one car during the intermission of their 24 hour race?
Old 06-28-2013 | 05:59 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did a LeMons race in April and another one upping in August. It was a blast!!!

So much fun that I just snagged a VW Golf and am in the process of building it for the 2014 Chumpcar season. Can't wait!!!

Mike
Old 06-28-2013 | 06:57 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry L
Does the LeMons series still crush one car during the intermission of their 24 hour race?
No. As Lemons evolved to cars people actually cared about because they had so much time in their builds, they first made crushing far more difficult and then eliminated it entirely.

Quick Reply: ChumpCar Racing...