Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ChumpCar Racing...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:43 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Our super secret trans fluid will carry us to victory in our next lemons race at Road America.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:45 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by samluke
Chump encourages anyone and everyone to participate. Without eperience a new driver has to attend class before going on track.

Chumps is fairly had core racing and seems to be getting more intense. Drivers are respectfull of each other (at least in the Mid West). Lemons appears to be lower key and more theatrical.

Both are great series to be able to race at a low cost, and without risking expensive equipment.

Chumps is a bunch of fun as is PCA. Chumps is low cost with a slow/long burn intensity level. PCA is high burn short duration.
Good on them to require a class before racing. Probably the single most issue I have with Lemons is a drivers license is all you need and we have all seen how bad the average driver on the road is...

I have had some great back and forth wheel-to-wheel action but it is few and far between - mostly it is just passing as safely as possible. Lemons loves the theatrics and tolerates us that want to race, IMO. That said, I really enjoy it and it is much cheaper than racing the 911 in PCA.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

I just bought this car and a bunch of spares for $1200.

We are going to sort through it, change the seat height and replace the harness with newer and properly installed units and get ready for an event near us!!

Mike
Old 06-28-2013, 11:53 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Did Vir VIR and Daytona in a chump car arrive and drive this year, and had a blast. Our team has a conbined 24 hours in the car with no contact.

Will also be doing Sebring later this year. Thanks to Chump car, expect to extend my time behind the wheel for a few more years.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:42 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Saw your write-up on Jalopnik. Looked like bad luck all around. Sorry to see that. Better luck next time.
Thanks. I think I might have a new shell, though, so yay!

Originally Posted by certz
Good on them to require a class before racing. Probably the single most issue I have with Lemons is a drivers license is all you need and we have all seen how bad the average driver on the road is...
Chump requires a class, but they really don't go over many basics of how to handle a car at speed--mostly, it's track and series specific things like flags, a good walk through of the track layout, etc.

I still tell everyone I hear talking about doing Chump or LeMons that it's a good idea to do at least one or two HPDEs first to knock out some of the bad habits. I see WAY too many newbie mistakes (not looking far enough ahead, blown flags, holding the steering wheel with one hand or in the wrong place, etc.) in Chump and LeMons vids. (And that's coming from a relative n00b at this--eeeeek.)
Old 06-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a 10+ Lemon veteran, Then did a Chump race......Never looked back. Chumpcar is miles ahead in racing terms. No desire ever to do a Lemons race again.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

We went to the novice drivers meeting for the Charlotte race and it was quite interesting. Nothing more stringent than a DE drivers meeting. I don't know about lemons, but chumpcar is simple and very lax for registration as a driver. Get the safety gear, have a drivers license and be on a team. That is it.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:34 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

We've had a fantastic experience with Chumpcar so far. We ran our first event at the Glen, with a starting grid of 106 cars. The vast majority of the folks are really nice and super fun to hang out with. The racing is also surprisingly clean from what i've seen with the rare odd exception. It's amazing how competitive the races are, but the camaraderie among the teams is exceptional.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:47 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Any of you folks doing chumpcar or Lemons racing?? Did my first event last weekend at Charlotte and when I got back I ran out and bought a car... Some of the funnest time I have ever had behind the wheel of a car, and VERY competitive!!
Tell the rest of the Charlotte story, said the guy who's stint was supposed to be right after yours........

What a weekend.

Quick Reply: ChumpCar Racing...