Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neck Collar versus HANS

Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John's 991
Interesting thought that the neck collar could be worse than nothing at all. When driving at most HPDE's I only drive 20-30 minutes at a time, 4 to 6 sessions a day which is not enough to tire my neck. When instructing, and being in the car twice as much at least, it does help with fatigue I agree.

However the main reason I have always worn it is that I thought it offers some level of protection in a crash. If in fact it offers no protection and perhaps "provides a fulcrum" that could exacerbate the situation, then I need to rethink using it at all.

Hopefully somebody can shed some light on safety in a modern car with active restraints (airbags) and 3 point belts including the potential additional benefit (or lack) of an R3 type restraint system. It does say on the Simpson site that the R3 is not dependent on seat belts. It does not say that for the Rage/Hybrid system.
I can't speak to it with authority, but one opinion I have heard is that by "providing a fulcrum" a neck collar can kill you. It will stop the front of the helmet from coming forward, but in doing so, does nothing to stop the helmet as a whole from doing so. As a result, it leaves the helmet wanting to continue coming forward, but it now has to rotate, essentially pulling the neck to the point that the nerves can separate. It sounded plausible enough to me that I immediately pitched mine, which I had been using while instructing in cars without belts, in the garbage.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Well hell, I was hoping you had something more on the R3. I too want a setup that can offer some improvement to stock seat/belt setups. Once you get used to a 6 point, H&N, full containment, side nets, cage and fire supression getting into the right seat of a hopped up car with stock seats and belts feels a bit exposed.

The R3 makers would do well to test the device with 3 point and if it does work better than nothing ether use the info as a true sell point or limit legal exposure and say don't use it with 3 points.
So the big hurdle with the 3 point test I was told is the dummy. The labs didn't want to put their dummy out there with so little protection and risk breaking it.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Another thing to consider is wearing a full face helmet in a car with airbags....it should be open face
Old 06-27-2013, 09:57 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Another thing to consider is wearing a full face helmet in a car with airbags....it should be open face
Can you please explain why?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by mglobe
It's an old wive's tale that goes back to a flawed airbag in racecar study. F1/FIA looked at airbags for a while and this myth is the only thing to have stuck around.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:09 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
So the big hurdle with the 3 point test I was told is the dummy. The labs didn't want to put their dummy out there with so little protection and risk breaking it.
What?!?!?! I have a friend who works at a place in Michigan that makes crash test dummies. Ummmmm, they are/were designed to test cars with (wait for it) a 3 point harness! At around 100k for a dummy, they better not break!

Originally Posted by mglobe
+1
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
What?!?!?! I have a friend who works at a place in Michigan that makes crash test dummies. Ummmmm, they are/were designed to test cars with (wait for it) a 3 point harness! At around 100k for a dummy, they better not break!
I think that was a bit of sarcasm on the part of CM.

-Mike
Old 06-27-2013, 10:25 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I think that was a bit of sarcasm on the part of CM.

-Mike
Well fine then. So was mine....
Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Neck collar will hold your head steady... For embalming

Hans , haloSeat, harness... Bare minimum for any tracktime...
Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I rolled a Formula Ford at high speed 15 years ago when a simple neck collar was pretty much standard fare. I distinctly remember the violent side to side movement of my head and the collar did limit some of the movement, but not much. Better than nothing in that case.

I use an R3 with a 6 point harness in the Porsche. I am sceptical it would work very well with a 3 point harness as so much of it's stability is based on the back section being held rigidly in place. The chest strap does some of that but the back plate gets a lot of additional security from being held in place by your torso strapped tightly to the seat.

When your head moves forward the force is counteracted by the bottom of the back plate staying tight against your spine. Unless you are tightly restrained against the seat there is nothing other than the strap pulling against your chest to stop the back plate moving away from your spine. It would still limit the movement but all the force would be on your chest without the extra support of the seat. Maybe that's enough to work better than nothing, but your head is still going to move a lot more than if your are strapped in tight with shoulder straps to keep you from bending forward.

Unrestrained people are pretty bendy when the forces are high enough!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Why not Halo HANS? Extend the HANS back plate to partially envelop both sides of the helmet and form a halo to limit sideways movement?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by hf1
Why not Halo HANS? Extend the HANS back plate to partially envelop both sides of the helmet and form a halo to limit sideways movement?
Major egress issues for most car types. Look up Hans model 1 to see what it looks like.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
A neck collar might help fatigue, but don't think of it as a safety item - no data to support that.

As above, an R3 is effective without the need for a harness.
This is how I view it as well. I only use a horse collar when I'm in the right seat in a student's car with 3-point belts. I've found that it really helps limit the fatigue and soreness that I get from not being in the driver seat.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:58 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm no doctor, but the collars worry me. Seems to me that they have the potential to apply forces to the neck in directions that it was never designed to deal with.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubai944
...Unrestrained people are pretty bendy when the forces are high enough!

Notice the unused Hans post, and roll cage - that guy (and his neck), are going to regret that!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Neck Collar versus HANS