Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I sure love Watkins Glen...

Old 05-03-2017, 11:34 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

The bus stop ruined the best straight-a-way and passing zone at the track. It broke up the rhythm of the track. The accidents occurred not because of the track but mechanical failures. Both incidents occurred when a wheel came off the cars..not sure a slower speed induced by the bus stop would help with those issues.
Instead of a smooth transition into Turn#5 , we subject the car's suspension to a quick right, then left the a right..then move into Turn #5. At first the exit of the bus stop was too sharp and many cars hit the guard rail upon exit , driver's left..
I agree... the "fill in" of the dip at Road Atlanta and the bus stop at the Glen took character away from these two great tracks. I am so glad I got to run both facilities as the were original designed.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by TREMPER
The bus stop ruined the best straight-a-way and passing zone at the track. It broke up the rhythm of the track. The accidents occurred not because of the track but mechanical failures. Both incidents occurred when a wheel came off the cars..not sure a slower speed induced by the bus stop would help with those issues.
Instead of a smooth transition into Turn#5 , we subject the car's suspension to a quick right, then left the a right..then move into Turn #5. At first the exit of the bus stop was too sharp and many cars hit the guard rail upon exit , driver's left..
I agree... the "fill in" of the dip at Road Atlanta and the bus stop at the Glen took character away from these two great tracks. I am so glad I got to run both facilities as the were original designed.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-03-2017, 06:11 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

[QUOTE=TREMPER;14156312]The bus stop ruined the best straight-a-way and passing zone at the track. It broke up the rhythm of the track.

Prior to the the track modification to the bus stop there was the Jody Scheckter chicane after corner 2. The chicane was installed in the mid 1970's to slow the F1 cars. I believe it was removed in the 1980's. I attended the 1974 Grand Prix and I believe the chicane was installed in 1975.

The chicane was probably a 40 mph affair
Old 05-03-2017, 06:25 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 163 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by TREMPER
I agree, turn 5 is lost but the bus stop is still a lot of fun at the limit and 5 is has a little breather before diving in for the boot. The whole section is still a lot of fun.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:49 AM
chartersb
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

The chicane in the esses was added after the Francois Cevert crash. New York State gave ISC a multi-bazillion $$$ grant for the repave and update. The entire Finger Lakes region benefits from the track and vice versa. It's been an awesome place to race, not as fast as Mosport but one of the best. Agree w/ Tremper about the "dip" then the bridge at Road Atlanta. At Mosport, the old "hump" at the end of the back straight on the entry to T8 was another legendary pucker point that's gone.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:18 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
They should get rid of the bus stop. It ruins the track in my opinion. Or at least make us not have to use it. I hate that thing!
nononononononononononononononoNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

No.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:21 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by chartersb
The chicane in the esses was added after the Francois Cevert crash. New York State gave ISC a multi-bazillion $$$ grant for the repave and update. The entire Finger Lakes region benefits from the track and vice versa. It's been an awesome place to race, not as fast as Mosport but one of the best. Agree w/ Tremper about the "dip" then the bridge at Road Atlanta. At Mosport, the old "hump" at the end of the back straight on the entry to T8 was another legendary pucker point that's gone.
Was at Mosport yesterday--omiGOD it's SO fast, even in my goofy little Mini

I recall years ago going out with an instructor and hitting my head on the roof of his car when we went over that hump.....

Gary
Old 05-04-2017, 12:23 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a great in-car video from the 1978 F1 race at the Glen with Didier Pironi driving:

You can see the chicane after turn 2 and the absence of the bus stop. It still looks very much like the Glen today except for the absence of the catch fences and viewing stands in places along the track.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jake951
Here's a great in-car video from the 1978 F1 race at the Glen with Didier Pironi driving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLkbqFiXwQY
From the series "Lap of the Gods"

Great stuff!
Old 05-04-2017, 02:29 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't imagine blasting down the back straight at Watkins Glen into the Carousel. What was that like?
Old 05-04-2017, 02:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I can't imagine blasting down the back straight at Watkins Glen into the Carousel. What was that like?
It was fun!

The rise was enough that, before the crest, you couldn't see where you were going. In a fast car, it was not an easy thing...

In a slow car, it was just as fun!
Old 07-30-2017, 09:36 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to bring this thread back from the dead but wanted some feedback on my recent PB @ WGI:

My comments:

Turn 1: Too slow
Turn 2 to top of esses - Need to commit to full throttle earlier and more consistently
Bus Stop: Should've committed to throttle earlier, also no need to go over rumble so aggressively
Outer Loop: I felt fine, tires felt like they wanted to slide here
Turn 6: Shouldn't have jumped the curb - cost me .5 second
Turn 10: Need to lift later and get back on throttle later
Old 07-30-2017, 10:10 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by moveswiftly
Not to bring this thread back from the dead but wanted some feedback on my recent PB @ WGI:

My comments:

Turn 1: Too slow
Turn 2 to top of esses - Need to commit to full throttle earlier and more consistently
Bus Stop: Should've committed to throttle earlier, also no need to go over rumble so aggressively
Outer Loop: I felt fine, tires felt like they wanted to slide here
Turn 6: Shouldn't have jumped the curb - cost me .5 second
Turn 10: Need to lift later and get back on throttle later
The phone/timer seems to be in a bad spot. You're turning your head too often IMO to look at it. I can see my AIM without turning my head and I typically only look at it after start/finish.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:30 PM
will968
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Stop looking at your timer! That's good for about 2 seconds and avoiding a costly wreck.
Not too bad but I have a few things to consider:
Stay off the inner and exit curbing in the Bus Stop - it upsets your car.
Too wide in turn 9. Get in there tighter after braking.
In that car you should tap the brakes at 10 instead of lifting for so long. You’re also not using all the track at exit because you're not getting the most out of it.
Where are your eyes for 11?

Last edited by will968; 07-30-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:02 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So true. I replayed this video today and thought to myself - I need to stop looking at the timer and just focus on the driving and look at start / finish.

Turn 11 - my eyes are at the I <3 NY sign.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I sure love Watkins Glen...