Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I sure love Watkins Glen...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:04 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Having driven the Glen since 1980 and logging over 16,000 laps, I still find it the best track I ever driven. The new surface is amazing..enough said.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:21 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,348 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
It's not too early? He isn't really near the turn in cone on the right side of the track.
It's best to ignore and not index any control inputs off temporary or non permanent markers.

It's also best to utilize the full width of the road, unless there is a compelling reason not to. No reason not to, in this case.

Turn 6 is unusual in the fact that the camber gain, as you cross the centerline of the track and approach the apex, gets MUCH better than at any turn in depth.

So, this is a "faith" corner, which requires this knowledge in order to allow for a slightly quicker, broader and more open entry radius, lest you try and carry so much speed that you run wide at the apex curbing AREA.

If you look at a Google Earth view and study the track DWG, you see how much more acute this turn is than many others, including the previous turn.

The key is first to optimize exit, THEN plot the geometry BACK from that exit point THROUGH the apex AREA, which spans several car lengths.

The dead giveaway of a late turn-in is a LATE, shorter apex area. The dead giveaway of an early turn in is an early intersection (and a short one) with the apex curbing and a DELAY in progression to WOT. You should intersect the apex area while your heading is aimed directly at the worker station located at the exit of the turn.

So, the key is balance and an examination of gSum throughout the brake zone and full radius of the car's trajectory through Turn 6.

We can talk all we want, but it's pushing the pedals, turning the wheel, measuring (and committing to memory intimate information about the topography) that will allow you to determine the correct geometry through this turn.

There is a "bald spot" past the drain cover that is a good permanent marker to index the position of your right shoulder to turn in...
Old 05-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It's best to ignore and not index any control inputs off temporary or non permanent markers.

It's also best to utilize the full width of the road, unless there is a compelling reason not to. No reason not to, in this case.

Turn 6 is unusual in the fact that the camber gain, as you cross the centerline of the track and approach the apex, gets MUCH better than at any turn in depth.

So, this is a "faith" corner, which requires this knowledge in order to allow for a slightly quicker, broader and more open entry radius, lest you try and carry so much speed that you run wide at the apex curbing AREA.

If you look at a Google Earth view and study the track DWG, you see how much more acute this turn is than many others, including the previous turn.

The key is first to optimize exit, THEN plot the geometry BACK from that exit point THROUGH the apex AREA, which spans several car lengths.

The dead giveaway of a late turn-in is a LATE, shorter apex area. The dead giveaway of an early turn in is an early intersection (and a short one) with the apex curbing and a DELAY in progression to WOT. You should intersect the apex area while your heading is aimed directly at the worker station located at the exit of the turn.

So, the key is balance and an examination of gSum throughout the brake zone and full radius of the car's trajectory through Turn 6.

We can talk all we want, but it's pushing the pedals, turning the wheel, measuring (and committing to memory intimate information about the topography) that will allow you to determine the correct geometry through this turn.

There is a "bald spot" past the drain cover that is a good permanent marker to index the position of your right shoulder to turn in...
Old 05-01-2017, 01:17 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by TREMPER
Having driven the Glen since 1980 and logging over 16,000 laps, I still find it the best track I ever driven. The new surface is amazing..enough said.
Wow
That is something 16,000 laps
That is some serious driving
Congrats
Old 05-01-2017, 01:51 PM
TREMPER
Racer

I'm old...
Old 05-01-2017, 02:48 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, ran WGI this weekend, and I know I'm leaving a lot on the table (bus stop, climbing esses, turn 10), looking for constructive criticism on my driving:

Old 05-01-2017, 03:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Lol as I said, ignore all cones.

6 and 9 are weird in that they often work better by not being all the way drivers right at initial turn in, due to less favorable camber out there.
I'll comment on the video in a bit when I get a better internet connection
Old 05-01-2017, 04:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

OK on the video, corner by corner:

-1 nice!

-Upshift to 4th later, close to turn in for 2 (better launch into the Esses + the upshift will aid turn in for 2)

-More gas all the way through Esses...you need to better fight gravity here!

-Bus stop more gas after the 1st rumble strip...you're nearly coasting all the way through here...remember, you're still going uphill all the way to the crest as you start to dive down in 5. Also, more gas after last rumble strip...you still have plenty of real estate to lift for 5

-5 more gas all the way through here...at least 50% throttle...remember, this is the most beneficial camber on this track...faster than it looks

-6 get to that apex curbing sooner & hold it longer...like 5, all the best camber is down low along the white line

-9 too far driver's right at turn in...hear all that squealing? That's you understeering on the off camber portion...only go maybe 3/4 drivers right and initiate gradual turn in a tiny bit sooner, on camber

-Upshift to 4th gear just before 10 (just like iinto 2, you'll pick up exit speed from 9 and it will aid turn in for 10)

-Get down to the apex of 10 sooner and hold it longer (sound familiar?)

-11 looks nice!

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 05-01-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:56 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm as old as Tremper and did my second SCCA school @ WGI in 1968. Here's what I think Veloce Raptor is talking about
Old 05-01-2017, 09:20 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by moveswiftly
Hi, ran WGI this weekend, and I know I'm leaving a lot on the table (bus stop, climbing esses, turn 10), looking for constructive criticism on my driving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLJWd5L0SVM
flat through esses
Old 05-01-2017, 09:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Nice video, Bill. I see a LOT of room for improvement. Let's get that throttle and brake working, first.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-01-2017, 10:28 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I'm as old as Tremper and did my second SCCA school @ WGI in 1968. Here's what I think Veloce Raptor is talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4cEhUflZkA
Question to Tremper and Bill L

Since you two have been going to the Glen, since before I could legally drive.

How much has changed?

Cars , track and drivers?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:04 AM
moveswiftly
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
OK on the video, corner by corner:

-1 nice!

-Upshift to 4th later, close to turn in for 2 (better launch into the Esses + the upshift will aid turn in for 2)

-More gas all the way through Esses...you need to better fight gravity here!

-Bus stop more gas after the 1st rumble strip...you're nearly coasting all the way through here...remember, you're still going uphill all the way to the crest as you start to dive down in 5. Also, more gas after last rumble strip...you still have plenty of real estate to lift for 5

-5 more gas all the way through here...at least 50% throttle...remember, this is the most beneficial camber on this track...faster than it looks

-6 get to that apex curbing sooner & hold it longer...like 5, all the best camber is down low along the white line

-9 too far driver's right at turn in...hear all that squealing? That's you understeering on the off camber portion...only go maybe 3/4 drivers right and initiate gradual turn in a tiny bit sooner, on camber

-Upshift to 4th gear just before 10 (just like iinto 2, you'll pick up exit speed from 9 and it will aid turn in for 10)

-Get down to the apex of 10 sooner and hold it longer (sound familiar?)

-11 looks nice!
Thanks. I took a look at Bill's video above and that made sense of your comments regarding the bus stop and turns 5,6 and 9. I'm heading back there this weekend and am going to try and apply these recommendations!
Old 05-02-2017, 10:37 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Thru the eighties the track was in receivership and run by Corning Corp...very basic track, no amenities like running water and sewer....The biggest change to the track was in 1992 with the addition of the evil "bus stop". Once International Speed Corp bought the facility in early nineties vast improvement to the infrastructure occurred. Media center, new timing tower, running water, sewer system..but the track surface remained the same except for some corner repair..cement patches. BUT in 2016, the "magic " surface was installed..first repaving of the entire facility in my memory..topped off with a new guard blg at Gate #2....the place has always been first class, but now it is world class..
Old 05-02-2017, 10:45 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TREMPER
Thru the eighties the track was in receivership and run by Corning Corp...very basic track, no amenities like running water and sewer....The biggest change to the track was in 1992 with the addition of the evil "bus stop". Once International Speed Corp bought the facility in early nineties vast improvement to the infrastructure occurred. Media center, new timing tower, running water, sewer system..but the track surface remained the same except for some corner repair..cement patches. BUT in 2016, the "magic " surface was installed..first repaving of the entire facility in my memory..topped off with a new guard blg at Gate #2....the place has always been first class, but now it is world class..
Hah! I have some old pictures from my first visit in 1985 for the FCA Annual Meet. Water dripping inside the old timing tower. Power might or might not work in the garages. No fences or gates anywhere. Wow.

You are absolutely right. The ISC ownership has been good and the $9.5 million they spent over the 2015-2016 off-season has lifted it to another level.

Quick Reply: I sure love Watkins Glen...