I sure love Watkins Glen...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
How does it compare to Sears Point?
Hmm... doesn't really seem similar to me. SP is more technical and slower (even in its fast parts).

Here's some in-car from the 6 Hour practice session last year. My first time driving the car:

-mike
Old 06-24-2013, 03:13 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Hmm... doesn't really seem similar to me. SP is more technical and slower (even in its fast parts).
Mike,

I didn't necessarily think that Watkins Glen and Sears Point were similar. It's possible to compare dissimilar things, right?

I get to drive Sears Point and Thunderhill quite often and used to ride/race bikes at Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow quite a bit as well. The farthest east I have been on a track is Las Vegas.

Sears Point is the most interesting and rewarding track I have driven on and was curious as to how Watkins Glen fared in comparison. One thing that has become clear to me over time is that top speed is overrated. I'll take technical over fast anytime as long as that technical isn't obnoxious and tedious. Sears Point has a wonderful flow to it.

Anyway, I was just curious....

Thanks,

Scott
Old 06-24-2013, 03:24 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO, Sears would qualify as one of the best tracks in the country with Rd America and The Glen were it not for that final turn. Wide, slippery, slightly off camber, slow- enough to bunch everyone up for the mad dash past the stands (and sound meter). Mickey Mouse for what is otherwise an unbelievable track.
When you have a track that requires big technical skills and big *****, you have a winner, unless there's one turn on the track that ruins it.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:09 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by SoClose
IMHO, Sears would qualify as one of the best tracks in the country with Rd America and The Glen were it not for that final turn. Wide, slippery, slightly off camber, slow- enough to bunch everyone up for the mad dash past the stands (and sound meter). Mickey Mouse for what is otherwise an unbelievable track.
When you have a track that requires big technical skills and big *****, you have a winner, unless there's one turn on the track that ruins it.
Really? Turn 11 is a classic threshold braking passing zone and a turn that can be taken a few different ways. It's easy to get wrong if you try to do too much with it. It's not my favorite corner on the track but it's not "Mickey Mouse" by any stretch.....

Scott
Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Really? Turn 11 is a classic threshold braking passing zone and a turn that can be taken a few different ways. It's easy to get wrong if you try to do too much with it. It's not my favorite corner on the track but it's not "Mickey Mouse" by any stretch.....

Scott
I guess that I see it as a 'stadium' turn in what otherwise is a great natural road course. The elevation changes there have to be experienced sometime, especially that rise where your heart is pressed against the roof of your mouth.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by SoClose
I guess that I see it as a 'stadium' turn in what otherwise is a great natural road course. The elevation changes there have to be experienced sometime, especially that rise where your heart is pressed against the roof of your mouth.
The "Long Course" version of Turn 11 has been that way since the early '70's at least. There has been a lot of action in that corner over the years.

The rest of the track is certainly glorious!

Scott
Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Having driven both, I would say that the Glen features great rhythm, whereas Sears is more cut and thrust. Both are among the very best road circuits in the country.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:59 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
GREAT reference laps! Nice Turn 6 entry and patience, among other things.
https://youtu.be/W_7Nox-PRXI?t=1m8s
Sweet.
Patience. Is the common mistake to turn left too early?
Right around 1:14 in the video ?
Old 04-25-2017, 11:03 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

That turn in is pretty standard from what I've seen
Old 04-26-2017, 11:42 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Patience. Is the common mistake to turn left too early?
Right around 1:14 in the video ?
MASSIVELY common.

But more than that, not DECISIVELY turning in (like Cory does in this video) and ASKING the car what to do here, instead of TELLING the car what to do.

Also, the fact that as you progress towards the apex, the grip improves and you can add more...

One of my FAVORITE turns of all time.

Originally Posted by jlanka
That turn in is pretty standard from what I've seen
I wish...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-26-2017, 12:13 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh

Here's some in-car from the 6 Hour practice session last year. My first time driving the car:

First laps in the ESM Tequila Patron Ferrari 458 Italia! - YouTube

-mike
Before the repave, I miss those old curbs!!
Old 04-26-2017, 12:21 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Before the repave, I miss those old curbs!!
Speaking of, last year there was great discussion of the curbs at the bus stop. Did they change them when Indy was there or can I still expect to Dukes of Hazzard it over the entrance curb?
Old 04-26-2017, 12:50 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts

The first track I ever drove and a love story ever since. From that first look at the glorious soaring view of Turn 1 as I approached the front gate. (oh my god) I have loved this track. Every turn has something special. Which turn is my favorite? Thats like picking your favorite child.

I have nicknames for each turn:
The Esses: Joy (and Sex)
Turn 6: Ballet, perfection and sex
Turn 10: Glorious..Insanity (and hot monkey sex)
Turn 9: Sex
Turn 11: More Sex
OK - a common theme here. And that is the fun.

The various surfaces made it so much fun and it was by far my favorite rain track: Rewarding an understanding of changing track surface, color, light, temperature and more.
I guess I will get used to the new pavement.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
That is all...

Last edited by dan212; 04-27-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:37 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Speaking of, last year there was great discussion of the curbs at the bus stop. Did they change them when Indy was there or can I still expect to Dukes of Hazzard it over the entrance curb?
I was last there late last September and that entry curb was pretty high.....guess I'll find out in a couple weeks at C&S.

Gary
Old 04-26-2017, 06:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Dan, you nailed it!!!

Quick Reply: I sure love Watkins Glen...