excess is good.
F350
chevy 3500
Win
Old 06-19-2013, 12:36 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

What is the limit on non-duallies? anything over 24' enclosed?

can you tow a enclosed 28' with the F350?
Old 06-19-2013, 12:45 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
What is the limit on non-duallies? anything over 24' enclosed?

can you tow a enclosed 28' with the F350?
Yes, of course.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:08 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 84 Posts

Your first decision needs to be trailer, even though you will use it less often than the tow rig.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned wheelbase yet. Lots of these lux SUVs have a pretty short wheelbase (<115 inches). Unless you are towing a lightweight open trailer, you can get pushed around by the trailer with such a short wheelbase. Something like a full-height, 24ft enclosed trailer presents a LOT of sail area.

It's nice to have a tow rig that also functions as a good DD/family car. But in order to achieve that, you've got to be willing to keep your trailer-ambitions in check.

I'm towing with a '13 MB GL350 diesel. 121" wheelbase and plenty stout... but it's the MINIMUM I would want for towing an enclosed box. My next trailer will be smaller than the borrowed 24' I am using now.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:16 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Yes, of course.
with room to grow
Old 06-19-2013, 01:47 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 ton American diesel crew cab
short bed makes the partial daily driver easier

I used to pull a 24 foot bumper pull with it and now I pull a 36 foot GN with it

Having a truck at your disposal for towing and other stuff is great -- especially if it does not have to be your full time daily driver.

FWIW I have a 2011 3500 GMC and it has been absolutely trouble free with the exception of the wiper fluid reservoir cracking ($200 installed)...
Old 06-19-2013, 01:57 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
What part was that? I have not seen a lot of people complaining about the diesels in the treg forums I visit.
IIRC it was a fuel rail issue that only happened when the engine was under constant stress (ie towing) and was hard to duplicate in the shop. it was VW's attitude of "stuff it, idiot customer" that really did him in on that car (and I've encountered that attitude on my old GTi as well).

FWIW he now has an ML320 bluetec tow vehicle.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks, guys. You've given me some good things to think about. A large part of this is in my decision process is the trade-off between something like a Toureg that I'd frankly use more often vs. a full-blown 3/4 ton diesel solution that would pull the house off its foundation, but that I'd probably use a lot less in between toy hauling duties.

I like the idea of diesel power and reliability in a half-ton, so I'll definitely look into the Ram 1500 option a little further.

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
OP, I really think you should decide the trailer issue first. Not necessarily brand and specifics, but the question of open or enclosed.

Open, you can certainly consider something like the Merc GL diesel.
Enclosed, you really should be looking at the pickups
Originally Posted by mglobe
Having a truck instead of an SUV has advantages beyond towing capability. It is awfully nice to be able to throw stuff into the back of the truck without worrying about messing up the interior of a lux SUV.

And as previously mentioned, you do need to decide what type of trailer you will be towing to make a good decision on the tow vehicle.
I'm leaning towards an enclosed trailer at this point.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:54 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

If you're going enclosed, get a truck (I think you've figured that out)

I have a 2012 grand cherokee with a HEMI, and am limited to a 20 foot trailer by that. were I starting from scratch I would have gotten a proper diesel pickup first (the Jeep is my daily driver and I love it, but don't like the towing limitations)
Old 06-19-2013, 05:40 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

^ yes.
before truck, my largest car was E36M3, other cas were lotus.
so you get used to big truck very quickly.
hard to DD, hahahaha, i drive the thing into SF financial district on a daily basis. if you want to talk about tight spaces and traffic... get in line.

2009 GMC SLT 2500 Duramax shortbed, 100k miles, no prob, one bad wnidow switch.
2013 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax dually, 10kmiles, long bed, DD, easy peasy. if you cant make the turn, just take out the thing that's blocking you.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:45 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
^ yes.
before truck, my largest car was E36M3, other cas were lotus.
so you get used to big truck very quickly.
hard to DD, hahahaha, i drive the thing into SF financial district on a daily basis. if you want to talk about tight spaces and traffic... get in line.

2009 GMC SLT 2500 Duramax shortbed, 100k miles, no prob, one bad wnidow switch.
2013 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax dually, 10kmiles, long bed, DD, easy peasy. if you cant make the turn, just take out the thing that's blocking you.
you drive a full size diesel pickup into SF every day?

those liberal nuts must think you're the devil.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
you drive a full size diesel pickup into SF every day?

those liberal nuts must think you're the devil.

YES, and i park indoors. you DONT want to know my monthly parking fee. probably can buy an RS.

liberals? i dont really understand politics and dont keep track who's the president, last one i know was kennedy or was it lincoln. i learned that in school. i must be the only one in CA who give absolutely no regard to the environment and 100% against recyclnig... long story, pls dont get me started.

let's get back to giant american diesel trucks.
i heard many ppl say they can tow this or that with SUV and feel like nothing is behind them. i find that strange. i tow with a big diesel and i feel i have a space shuttle behind me. if GMC made a 10L pick up.......
Old 06-19-2013, 06:00 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
let's get back to giant american diesel trucks.
i heard many ppl say they can tow this or that with SUV and feel like nothing is behind them. i find that strange. i tow with a big diesel and i feel i have a space shuttle behind me. if GMC made a 10L pick up.......
true. I know damn well there's 7,000+ pounds of car and trailer behind my Jeep...
Old 06-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

long wheel base + diesel + big tank + overkill towing capacity + towing package with engine braking

fill in nameplate
Old 06-19-2013, 06:44 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't delude yourself into believing a ½ ton pickup is going to be safe or durable enough to tow an enclosed trailer.
½ tons have smaller axles, brakes, transmissions, etc. etc. etc. They are fine for pulling a utility trailer. An open trailer with car will push that size truck. Tail wags the dog. ¾ ton, long wheelbase is the minimum safe towing vehicle.

I towed an open trailer a lot with a Toyota. White knuckle ride. You have to be lucky and plan wayyyyy ahead to avoid any need for sudden stops. Never had anything happen with the Toyota, but shortly after getting the dully I had occasion to make a panic stop and evasive action to avoid clobbering an idiot who felt he could challenge a truck. In the Toyota I would have collected him and we both would have been smoldering inside piles of crushed metal.

Think about your children before making a final decision.

Quick Reply: Tow Vehicle Recommendations