Sponsored by:

Initial DE budget?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 02:24 PM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial DE budget?

Hi guys. I apologize if this question is clearly answered elsewhere - I couldn't find it, but maybe I missed it.

I just bought my first Porsche, a 2004 911 Carrera, yay, and am interested in going to a DE event. I am trying to piece together a budget so I know what to expect. What's a good no-bs initial DE budget, excluding upgrades? I recognize that I'll probably want to go crazy with upgrades, but what I'm trying to wrap my head around is the degradation in brakes and tires I should expect - does a DE event mean you need a new set of tires immediately after, or does a set last 2 or 3 events, at least when one is starting out and perhaps not being as hard on one's equipment? What are the hidden costs for maintenance and required equipment purchases?

Thanks so much,
leejo
Old 06-16-2013, 02:33 PM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Budget a helmet.

You should just go with fresh brake fliud and pads if its your first time.

It will be overwhelming at first and you probably won't stress the car too much since you'll be learning the line.

Once you get faster, you will need to invest in high temp brake fliud and track pads. Tire life should be fine until you get faster. I run in the white run group and I get about 8 days on yoko ad08's for the rear. I drive a 996tt.

At first the most expensive thing should be the actual de payment.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:41 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Decide if you want to get track insurance. Companies like on track insurance and Lockton are a few that offer a PCA discount. Things happen on track even with DEs.
Helmet,gloves, driving shoes,camp chair, goPro,
Start with stock tires mich PSS,alignment setup depending on your street/track % . Others can advise on how frequent to flush brake fluid, change oil,etc
Have fun. It is a blast.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:24 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

An unlimited one...
Old 06-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Hans helmet and harnesses would be my very first investment.
Other than that it's unlimited...
Street tires, pads and fuel. I ran a looong time using autozone lifetime wty brake pads btw... And used rubber...
Old 06-16-2013, 05:42 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Glen
Hans helmet and harnesses would be my very first investment.
Other than that it's unlimited...
Street tires, pads and fuel. I ran a looong time using autozone lifetime wty brake pads btw... And used rubber...
Add a 6 point compatible racing seat to that. Hans and harnesses are not going to work on a street seat, unless it's the sport bucket which is probably not in the OP's car. See why I said- unlimited? Once you get one thing, you suddenly need another
Old 06-16-2013, 05:43 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not including safety equipment, I view my track day/DE budget (registration, hotels, travel/gas, accelerated wear and tear on my car, tires, etc) to be at $1k per weekend, assuming a 2 day weekend. obviously that's a rule of thumb but a pretty accurate one in my experience.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Add a 6 point compatible racing seat to that. Hans and harnesses are not going to work on a street seat, unless it's the sport bucket which is probably not in the OP's car. See why I said- unlimited? Once you get one thing, you suddenly need another
Good point, you can buy a nice outdated 6 pt from a racer for 2-300$. So as Scott pOinted out...welcome to the slope!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:28 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 - Guy Incognito.

About $1k per two day event is a pretty decent budget, not including upgrades. A good helmet is a minimum, and a neck collar is better than nothing with a car without roll bar and six point belts.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

As others have said, invest in a helmet and have your brakes bled as part of your DE tech inspection. Make sure you have 50% brake pad life left (which is usually a DE tech requirement). Keep it simple, do your first DE, introduce yourself around and see what else you might need next time.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:38 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guy is pretty close to my budget. I figure on insurance, entry cost, brake fluid, gas, pad and tire wear etc.. So much depends on what you choose for tires, pads and fluid. Soft grippy tires are expensive and wear faster than street tires.

For now amd probably your first few events, drive it as is. Of course get it checked over but dont worry about different tires, pads etc.. As someone above said, your first few times will be pretty far below the ability of any component of your car. Make sure you want to do this before investing in seats, harnesses, wheels tires etc..

When you get to your first event, spend some time talking with your instructor. Look around for others with a similar car.

Have fun!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Add Content
Old 06-16-2013, 10:06 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Do yourself a favor and just get on the track with what you have and make sure you enjoy it. This may sound strange but not everyone who gets on the track will fall in love with it. Once you decide you have the desire, time and budget focus on regular maintenance and safety. The shop that does your tech will be a good source of guidance.

If you're like most of us you'll be knee deep in it and wondering how can I support his habit.

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:49 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
not including safety equipment, I view my track day/DE budget (registration, hotels, travel/gas, accelerated wear and tear on my car, tires, etc) to be at $1k per weekend, assuming a 2 day weekend. obviously that's a rule of thumb but a pretty accurate one in my experience.
I'd say it's more like $2.5k a weekend, 3 day. That is considering maintaining the car after each event or race, assuming nothing breaks, and you don't go through a set of tires. But as others have pointed out, just start with what you have. Get the car checked and fresh brake fluid. Make sure you like it.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Upstate101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the adult version of "If you give a mouse a cookie..."

Quick Reply: Initial DE budget?