Sponsored by:

Initial DE budget?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:35 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Add up what you think it's going to cost, add 10% and then double it.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:43 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by scott40
An unlimited one...
Which still won't be enough!
And it will still be worth every penny
Old 06-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I just did my third event so can share some newbie impressions with you.

The 1k an event is a pretty good guide. You'll get your car inspected and they'll let you know if your brakes and tires are ok. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sporys and have about 5k and 5 DE days on them And they're in great shape. I had a bell open faced helmet that I bought for auto cross events a few years ago but plan on upgrading soon. Ax is quick bursts of driving and I find with the longer run times that its not as comfortable as I need. I have the standard seats and belts and I think this will be the first mod. I end up using so energy locking my muscles up to keep from sliding around that I'm just exhausted at the end of the day. A good seat would help that and a good belt system even more. I've heard mixed advice on getting a harness without a roll cage so ill probably consider a cage and harness as phase 2.
Don't worry about modding the car. It will be faster than you for awhile most likely anyways.

Regarding track
Insurance... I initially passed on getting it but had a close call at the last event. I am in the novice group and some people are a little hesitant about passing. I gave the go head and they hesitated and then tried to pass too late and then cut in on the apex wich almost ran me off the track.
I think ill get insurance for the next one. Accidents happen and I can't afford to just leave it at the track.

You will have a blast. The first time is overwhelming but you will make a group of friends and have a great time.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:55 AM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
I'd say it's more like $2.5k a weekend, 3 day. That is considering maintaining the car after each event or race, assuming nothing breaks, and you don't go through a set of tires. But as others have pointed out, just start with what you have. Get the car checked and fresh brake fluid. Make sure you like it.
given 3 day events (which are hard to come by for pure track/DE weekends, not race weekends) and the hardware listed in your signature, yes I'd say $2500/weekend is accurate...
Old 06-17-2013, 09:01 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Do yourself a favor and just get on the track with what you have and make sure you enjoy it. This may sound strange but not everyone who gets on the track will fall in love with it. Once you decide you have the desire, time and budget focus on regular maintenance and safety. The shop that does your tech will be a good source of guidance.

If you're like most of us you'll be knee deep in it and wondering how can I support his habit.

Good luck!
This is by far the best advice you are likely to read here. As far as tire and brake degradation, at the beginner level they are relatively nominal. As you advance the consumable costs are primarily tires, secondarily brakes. To some extent tire wear can be managed through setup, tire choice, and tire management (proper rotation). It's been so long since I ran on street tires, I honestly can't remember how much wear I got out of them, but I would guess around 4-5 events.

Oh, and rule number one of the track: Don't add up the costs. EVER.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
This is by far the best advice you are likely to read here. As far as tire and brake degradation, at the beginner level they are relatively nominal. As you advance the consumable costs are primarily tires, secondarily brakes. To some extent tire wear can be managed through setup, tire choice, and tire management (proper rotation). It's been so long since I ran on street tires, I honestly can't remember how much wear I got out of them, but I would guess around 4-5 events.

+1,000,000!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Depending on your insurance, the value of your car if something happens. It is not likely but I have seen it happening. To me, this remains the biggest risk from a budget perspective. The rest, I would consider consumables, maybe at an accelerated rate for accelerated fun.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:29 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I would say $1k per 2 day DE is a good starting point for a beginner. I started about 8 months ago and my CFO requires a budget- so I estimated about $1k per DE and that is working out about right. I got 8DEs (including time in beginner run group) on my original tires and brakes. The wear rate on those has accelerated considerably though.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:00 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe

In Mike's case a good off road tire is a must.

Dependent on your region they may have a loaner helmet policy. The costs for the first events you will go to are primarily entry fees and gas. Your average mpg is going to take it on the chin. You will lose about 25% of the life on your brakes and tires. But the grin when you get off the track is priceless
Old 06-17-2013, 03:45 PM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great info, thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:46 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlm328
In Mike's case a good off road tire is a must.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Welcome!

The first needle is free!

(well, relatively...)
Old 06-17-2013, 08:41 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed that insurance is something to consider. State Farm insures my car on track as part of my normal policy for NON timed events, so DEs are fine, but no TTs.

I get it in writing from the agent who checks "upstairs" at every renewal. It really helps peace of mind when in a $100k+ car on the track, although I hate to imagine what would happen to my premiums if I totaled it.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:39 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John's 991
Agreed that insurance is something to consider. State Farm insures my car on track as part of my normal policy for NON timed events, so DEs are fine, but no TTs.

I get it in writing from the agent who checks "upstairs" at every renewal. It really helps peace of mind when in a $100k+ car on the track, although I hate to imagine what would happen to my premiums if I totaled it.
you sure about that?

State Farm told me they technically had to cancel my policy for ASKING about track day coverage (they didn't cancel, b/c at the time I had a house, motorcycle and three cars insured with them)

Quick Reply: Initial DE budget?