Sponsored by:

which winch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I considered synthetic rope when I bought my superwinch recently but read that it didn't fare well with respect to abraision. My winch cable drags on the end of my trailer for a short time as I winch the car up each time and I worried about this with the synthetic rope. Any comments on this?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I considered synthetic rope when I bought my superwinch recently but read that it didn't fare well with respect to abraision. My winch cable drags on the end of my trailer for a short time as I winch the car up each time and I worried about this with the synthetic rope. Any comments on this?
Interestingly, I was advised (strongly) by one of the techs at Superwinch to stay away from the synthetic lines. Wear and spooling were his primary concerns.

Unlike ya'll city folk, I've been handling cables, chains and other manly stuff my entire life - wire rope others me not. Man up, Globe!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Interestingly, I was advised (strongly) by one of the techs at Superwinch to stay away from the synthetic lines. Wear and spooling were his primary concerns.

Unlike ya'll city folk, I've been handling cables, chains and other manly stuff my entire life - wire rope others me not. Man up, Globe!
LOL! I spent time working on a wireline logging truck with cable that makes the stuff on the winches we use look like Tonka Truck material.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:12 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL! I spent time working on a wireline logging truck with cable that makes the stuff on the winches we use look like Tonka Truck material.
And you continue to amaze me...I had you pegged as a dazzling TX urbanite.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I considered synthetic rope when I bought my superwinch recently but read that it didn't fare well with respect to abrasion.
Originally Posted by KaiB

Unlike ya'll city folk, I've been handling cables, chains and other manly stuff my entire life - wire rope bothers me not. Man up, Globe!
Well, I used to sleep on the side of El Capitan about 2500 ft above Yosemite Valley while hanging from abraded synthetic lines thinner than my winch cable. It doesn't bother me!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

For the amount of use, and pulling our rolling cars a limited distance, synthetic rope is a non-issue.
If it hits on the end of your trailer, throw a towel down, or use your detachable jack handle at the point of contact if you are really concerned.

Call me McGruber
Old 06-17-2013, 02:32 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I mounted my SuperWinch on the side, put a ring in the center right in front of the cabinets with a pulley. That way I have full use of the cabinets and can move everything out of the way.

Other day a guy was loading his car without a winch (And he was good at it). My girlfriend said - "I smell something burning."

Yes dear, thats the clutch on his brand new Cayman.

Synthetic rope. Easy on your hands. Metal, doesn't stretch, very strong. Rips your hands apart. Just wear gloves.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:45 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Have Yut build you a roller for the back of your trailer.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:02 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like superwinch is the way to go. Not too expensive either. Hopefully this one will give me years of non service.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, dear Dan, that burning clutch smell was me and my new Cayman! I smelled it too. And I thought I did a fairly smooth job getting my car on my new trailer! I guess a winch would be a good idea. It was nice to meet you this weekend. Fun event.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:52 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

superwinch synthetic
i have soft girly hands
Old 06-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

The Superwinch Xterra 45 is ~$260 now @amazon. I think I got it for $40 less a few months ago.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks like the 45 is the smart choice, despite not likely needing the extra capacity (I think the rule of thumb is to multiple the vehicle weight by 1.5). The Terra 45 is $50 more expensive and only 2 lbs heavier then the terra 35 model. Another advantage of the synthetic rope is the weight (3 lbs lighter than the wire version). Anyway, total installed weight of the terra 45 with wire is 22 lbs and synthetic rope is 19 lbs.

I'd like to keep the tongue weight as low as possible, so will likely take the advice about the slide-in mount (and perhaps stow away when not in use). What's the best battery solution (light, durable, small)? I'm killing my new tilton clutch/flywheel by driving onto the trailer.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

I HIGHLY recommend a wireless remote. Highly.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
I HIGHLY recommend a wireless remote. Highly.
I was worried about not having one- but in reality, you don't need it. At least I don't think you really need it.

FYI- at Amazon the syth 45 vs. the syth 35 is a $1 and change. Go 45

Quick Reply: which winch?