Sponsored by:

Brake Cooling for 993

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Brake Cooling for 993

Car is a stock class 993 weighing 3100 lbs+ with driver. It seems that after 5-7 laps in 70-80F day, my brakes loose their bite and the car/driver need more distance to slow down. I contribute this to heat buildup. I have been using my stash of Pagid orange for DE/testing, saving my pagid blacks for if I ever go racing again (always next race).

What is a good way to cool the brakes on a 993? If not a cure for my distance problem, it should at least help preserve my rotors for a day or two more.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you thought about installing brake ducts on your 993, like the following http://www.gettydesign.com/993_misc.html#brake? Also, what brake fluid are you using?
Old 06-06-2013, 01:07 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I never had brake overheating issues in my 993 when back in stock G (including 90 min endures in 90+ heat). I was consistently faster with pagid blacks (better bite), but they are harder on the rotors and I experienced more problems with ABS interference. I preferred the yellows, which were much easier on the rotors, lasted much longer (justifying the higher cost), less likely to create ABS issues, but my lap times were a bit slower. I didn't even use SRF back then (just ATE super blue). Ducts can be helpful; with a stock front bumper, your best option is to use brake ducts, and route the 3" ducting through the channel in the unibody

Old 06-06-2013, 01:35 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Regarding temps, let data tell ya what's going on. Have you tried using this?

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...Fa5DMgodWhwA-w
Old 06-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

^^
I have brake duct on the front similar to what Glen shows. I also have the 3" hose going to the rotor, but it is real work to get them to the ducts in the front, so they are just hanging behind the bumper cover. Besides, the hoses get torn quickly due to being hit by the tires, so I am not sure how effective they are. I'd also like the fact the duct get clean air to my oil coolers.

I am going to instal the stock scoops. I also saw a Cayman on the lift where scoops were used under the car to get air to the rotors. I am wondering if something like that might work.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:16 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
I never had brake overheating issues in my 993 when back in stock G (including 90 min endures in 90+ heat). I was consistently faster with pagid blacks (better bite), but they are harder on the rotors and I experienced more problems with ABS interference. I preferred the yellows, which were much easier on the rotors, lasted much longer (justifying the higher cost), less likely to create ABS issues, but my lap times were a bit slower. I didn't even use SRF back then (just ATE super blue). Ducts can be helpful; with a stock front bumper, your best option is to use brake ducts, and route the 3" ducting through the channel in the unibody

As Glen suggests, cut holes in the tub to channel air thru, and blow directly onto the inside of the rotors. Don't see that his pictures adequately show this and unfortunately our 993 is far from us. This was the definitive fix for us.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

If you just have the hoses behind the bumper, you might be doing more harm that good with the ducts on the rotor not doing anything. Run them to the bumper and get some air in there and the problems will probably go away.

Didn't some 993 variant have a "scoop" that went on the front of the A arms?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:52 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

This photo kinda shows where the ducts emerge from the channel in the tub on the inner wheel well. If you try to route the hoes externally, they will kink, rub on the tire, and you will get very little air flow as mentioned above.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 842 Likes on 517 Posts

993 brakes are usually fairly bullet proof. Before you do anything major, I would first check whether you really have a cooling problem or not by using a good brake fluid and bleeding the brakes between events. I would also recommend the Pagid yellows which last long and are easy on rotors. Have a look at the way you brake and whether you are over-braking. A coach can help you with that.

The 964RS had a scoop on the front A arms. Here is an articule by someone that has done it to the 993. It's a cheap first step:

Brake Scoops
Old 06-06-2013, 03:57 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

+1 to the brake ducting throught the tub and brake fluid (I am also Stock G). I had the ducting done by Midwest Eurosport in Chicago (not sure where you are located). I was running Motul RBF 600, which is good, but I recently switched to SRF - I still think SRF is overpriced but wow is there a noticeble difference. I also switched from Pagid Yellows to PFC 08's, which I like better, but the yellows are good also.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ninjabones
This photo kinda shows where the ducts emerge from the channel in the tub on the inner wheel well. If you try to route the hoes externally, they will kink, rub on the tire, and you will get very little air flow as mentioned above.

Glen,

Is this also how Bob T has his? He was telling me about it.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a DIY I wrote few years ago: http://p-car.com/diy/coolingduct/

Works well, I always used to have overheating issues but with the ducts, didn't.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:19 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
Glen,

Is this also how Bob T has his? He was telling me about it.
yes, bob's emerge from the inner wheel well much the same as mine. However, he has an EVO I front bumper, so he routed from the scoops down low on the central bumper, into the trunk, and then into the unibody channel. This is somewhat more complicated as it requires moving the ABS pump, and you have to cut huge holes in the front trunk. however, it is a much straighter path for better airflow.

Yonker has NACA ducts cut into the trunk-lid, and the path is even straighter and doesn't require moving the ABS pump. But he has an entire clamshell up front, and that would be a PITA to disconnect every time you open up the front trunk.

With the stock bumper and the EVO II bumper, you can do what I have shown in the photos above.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glen,

I did not have to move the ABS pump on mine, but the ABS ECU did have to move. (relatively easy). Nader there is a couple things going on with your setup that are causing issues. I did feel driving your car that the brakes need some attention.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 385 Posts

Here's another very efficient way to do it

Quick Reply: Brake Cooling for 993