Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petition to PCA to publish overtaking and 13/13 issuance rules

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:32 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Great video and driving, Eric. I didn't see any blocking and I believe the stuff you did would have been perfectly fine at SBRS. Racecraft.

I noticed that you almost never took the defensive line at the main straight (where the green car finally passed you) and was wondering why he didn't get on the inside and attempt that pass sooner.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by rkirshner
I'm relatively new at racing and have learned a ton by this discussion.May i ask a question about racecraft. i understand that if there is significant overlap in a corner the overtaken car should leave racing room for the overtaking car. when this happens ,or at least when i have done this ,there sometimes are a number trailing cars that see this and follow the first car through . So how do you allow room for the first but not the others .
i know one of the answers is that if the others are there they are probably faster but this is not always the case ,eg at the start .
thanks
In many ways, Ron, it depends on how close behind the train's leader the rest of the train is. If there is a decent gap, you certainly can become part of th etrain yourself by moving behind the train leader. if the gap is smaller but there is still racing room, you can maybe inch over slightly in their draft, but not fully...giving the followers racing room but making it much more difficult for them to steamroller by. A classic example you saw recently is on the inside of the main straight at the Glen (pit wall side)...which a lot of folks leave wide open...and which invited the steamroller effect. You can inch right after the trainn's leader if you see him soon enough, and narrow th elane for any followers who want to get by...and also make it much more difficult for them to carry any speed into T1 that way...but you are still leaving them racing room...
Old 06-10-2013, 06:43 AM
rkirshner
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you. i'll go back over the video and look for this
Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Ron, we can discuss n person at the Glen next week...
Old 06-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Great video and driving, Eric. I didn't see any blocking and I believe the stuff you did would have been perfectly fine at SBRS. Racecraft.

I noticed that you almost never took the defensive line at the main straight (where the green car finally passed you) and was wondering why he didn't get on the inside and attempt that pass sooner.
The front straight is shorter, and with very little braking into turn one (we scrub off about 10MPH), so getting overlap was harder, and going defensive wasn't necessary. Also, turn 1 leads onto a long high speed straight, and a great passing zone, so you compromise that at your peril. My mistake was not getting over (soon enough) when I slightly overcooked the carousel. I lost a couple of MPH on exit, but it was just enough. When I realized he had a pretty good run on me, I could have closed the door by squeezing down to the wall before he reached my door, but elected not to play that game of chicken. If we were taking the checker right there on the last lap (fighting for the lead in this national championship race) maybe, but I figured there was a lot of racing left. Unfortunately, Tyler ran the next 8 laps under the track record (!), and a spin & melee in front of me later finished any hopes I had of catching Tyler later in the race.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:55 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
The front straight is shorter, and with very little braking into turn one (we scrub off about 10MPH), so getting overlap was harder, and going defensive wasn't necessary. Also, turn 1 leads onto a long high speed straight, and a great passing zone, so you compromise that at your peril. My mistake was not getting over (soon enough) when I slightly overcooked the carousel. I lost a couple of MPH on exit, but it was just enough. When I realized he had a pretty good run on me, I could have closed the door by squeezing down to the wall before he reached my door, but elected not to play that game of chicken. If we were taking the checker right there on the last lap (fighting for the lead in this national championship race) maybe, but I figured there was a lot of racing left. Unfortunately, Tyler ran the next 8 laps under the track record (!), and a spin & melee in front of me later finished any hopes I had of catching Tyler later in the race.
Doc, that makes sense. Thanks.
I will be racing Mid-Ohio (with Skip Barber) for the first time in September and may reach out to you with some more questions before then. You did an excellent job in that video with a low-power (momentum) car driving against similarly powered cars, which is what I hope to do in Sept too.

Quick Reply: Petition to PCA to publish overtaking and 13/13 issuance rules