Sponsored by:

Roll Cage for DE

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:49 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Roll Cage for DE

well, i smacked the wall at road atlanta sunday. pouring rain, i was cooling down the car & grip went away on the back straight. nothing too serious, but MAN.....get rid of your side airbags. they hurt a lot worse than the wall.

anyway, i already have seats & harnesses. i think it's time i make this a dedicated track car & put in a cage. i have never had this done before.

the car will probably only ever see DE's, but i can't completely rule out W2W in my future. it looks fun....

i am weighing / costing out my options. there is a bolt-in cage for the boxster from stable energies for like $1500. if i go the custom welded route, what are the options / factors i need to consider?

roughly what should i expect to pay (if i strip the car) for something equivalent to a spec boxster cage?

anything else i should be considering? i really appreciate the help.

crash video will be posted hopefully today with a play-by-play. take care.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:51 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Have you considered looking for a car already built?
Old 06-04-2013, 01:08 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

There are cages, and there are cages. Personally, I would not bother with a bolt-in, but then I've been accused of being a cage snob. I would expect to spend $3k to $5k for a custom welded-in cage. If you do weld in a cage, make sure it is legal for the class that the car would run in if it were to race. Even if you don't race it, a future buyer would want a legal cage.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:13 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the car where many of the top teams send theirs - Robinson Racing. http://www.robinsonracing.net/
They are the best around. Tell them you want it to be PCA-NASA and SCCA legal. That gives you and any future owner options for where to race.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:17 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what you are running, but I got a rough price for my '03 996 at around $3,000 from Robinson Racing. They are up in Cumming in the same office park as Motor Werks Racing. I've had one more than one racer recommend them to me. Historically they are a NASCAR tube frame builder. They did want the dash removed to do the work.

Motor Werks Racing can also do one for you.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:22 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

And while they are at it, yank out the air bags.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:28 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

thanks guys. airbags are definitely coming out. i am dumbstruck by the damage it did to my arm.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:35 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 311 Posts

Guess I had better get mine in ASAP
Old 06-04-2013, 02:55 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

below pic is my arm. 100% of the damage was the side airbag. if it wasn't installed, i wouldn't have a scratch on me.

also, watch the video at this link & tell me what an airbag would do to you if it caught the bottom of your helmet.....

Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Slow RSA
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Ouch! I saw a 911 put on its lid Saturday at 10A in the dry, too. No cage. Give Goldcrest a holler and see what they say, they should be back in the shop from Detroit.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:50 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry to hear that you hit the wall. I tried to come by your car and see you to compare notes over the weekend, but never could find you with your car.

Anyway, I am considering just getting an SCCA Solo I legal roll bar installed in place of the stock roll bars with B-K extension that I am running now. As I understand, you can then run time trals and hill climb events. The Dragon hillclimb is coming up at the end of June, and that is all they said that I would need to do to run my Boxster there.

Once you put a cage in it, it would probably be unsafe to drive on the street due to the potential of head to side bar and/or front bar contact.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by insite
well, i smacked the wall at road atlanta sunday. pouring rain, i was cooling down the car & grip went away on the back straight. nothing too serious, but MAN.....get rid of your side airbags. they hurt a lot worse than the wall.

anyway, i already have seats & harnesses. i think it's time i make this a dedicated track car & put in a cage. i have never had this done before.

the car will probably only ever see DE's, but i can't completely rule out W2W in my future. it looks fun....

i am weighing / costing out my options. there is a bolt-in cage for the boxster from stable energies for like $1500. if i go the custom welded route, what are the options / factors i need to consider?

roughly what should i expect to pay (if i strip the car) for something equivalent to a spec boxster cage?

anything else i should be considering? i really appreciate the help.

crash video will be posted hopefully today with a play-by-play. take care.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,681 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
There are cages, and there are cages. Personally, I would not bother with a bolt-in, but then I've been accused of being a cage snob. I would expect to spend $3k to $5k for a custom welded-in cage. If you do weld in a cage, make sure it is legal for the class that the car would run in if it were to race. Even if you don't race it, a future buyer would want a legal cage.
^ this.

as the "sport" becomes popular, i see a lot of YAHOO's in advanced group. there are more and more incidents. so, at least for me, even DE, i prefer a full caged car.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by insite
thanks guys. airbags are definitely coming out. i am dumbstruck by the damage it did to my arm.

Sounds like you were lucky to me. I saw an airbag brake a guys arm down in NJ and it caused a compound fracture to boot.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by morsini
Sounds like you were lucky to me. I saw an airbag brake a guys arm down in NJ and it caused a compound fracture to boot.
i believe it! initially i thought it could possibly be broken. fortunately, i already have some titanium in that arm.

after reading this, i will go the full cage route. i will probably still drive the car to & from the track, so i'll get some of that FIA roll bar padding as well. got a wife & kid now; need to be safe.

Video codec on the fritz; i'll post it when i get it working.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:39 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Before you start dumping a lot of $ into building a track car, the previous suggestion that you consider finding one already built has a lot of merit.

Quick Reply: Roll Cage for DE