Sponsored by:

When suspension snaps at 100 mph AND my first Spec Atom Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 222 Posts
Default When suspension snaps at 100 mph AND my first Spec Atom Race

I was down at VIR this past weekend for my first ever Spec Atom race (and really only my 2nd ever race weekend!).

I had an absolute blast although I didn't drive as well as I would have liked. Some things never change. There are some really solid drivers in the series and I was impressed. On day 1, I qualified 9th out of 20 on the twisty South course (not a fan). In the race I moved up two positions which for me was the most exciting part of the weekend.

Unfortunately, during Sunday qualifying as I was going down the hill after South Bend I had a sudden loss of control while on the gas at 100 mph. I thought something in the gearbox or rear of the car had suddenly locked up. I fortunately did not hit anything but I was about 10 feet from the tires when I finally stopped. As I sat in the car I could not engage any gears. The clutch was fine. It wasn't until I was allowed to get out of the car that I saw that the left rear wheel assemble was 90 degrees bent. I was shocked.

I think the weld on one of the toe links snapped. Some of the pics below show a clean break at the weld spot.

Of course the worst part about something like this is everyone in the pits asking you what you hit! When you say "nothing," they look puzzled!

Here's the incredible part. TMI (Atom USA) put my car back together in about an hour and I managed to stage for the 2nd race with less than a minute to spare. UNBELIEVABLE. Massive kudos to the guys at TMI. I drove OK in the race although I think I was too adrenergic!

Overall, I really loved spec racing. I plan on going back for the next race on the full course.

Here's the vid of the spin and some pics. The last pic shows what the suspension arms look like intact.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:26 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's cool that they fixed it quickly, but spec cars shouldn't have structural failures like that without hitting anything.

What is their corrective action?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrial
That's cool that they fixed it quickly, but spec cars shouldn't have structural failures like that without hitting anything.

What is their corrective action?
It's not clear at this time. I was told they are testing a new design link on one or more of the cars right now.
The only impact my car has had was on the other side and it was very low speed.
Maybe the corrective action will be simply replacing the involved parts at regular intervals. I don't want to walk on anyone's toes at Ariel, and I know they are thinking on it.

My Atom has over 3000 miles on it (only track of course).
Old 06-12-2013, 10:04 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Glad you were not hurt. A failure like that...anything could have happened. That's 2 lives down, 7 to go.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Were you as close to hitting that flag station as it looked? I've seen flag stations directly ahead when agricultural and it's not a good feeling.

-Mike
Old 06-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Glad you were not hurt. A failure like that...anything could have happened. That's 2 lives down, 7 to go.
Thanks Chuck. Problem is I used a bunch of lives when I was young.

Originally Posted by TXE36
Were you as close to hitting that flag station as it looked? I've seen flag stations directly ahead when agricultural and it's not a good feeling.

-Mike
I was probably about 10 feet from the tire wall at that station. I definitely was watching it though and let off the brake a bit to try to steer (backwards) away from it.
Ariel USA has a new toe link which is being launched soon.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:44 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Coochas, glad you didn't hit anything when you spun. Was this an arrive & drive deal you did for the weekend? If so do you mind sharing the $ details for it. You could also PM me if you prefer.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Coochas, glad you didn't hit anything when you spun. Was this an arrive & drive deal you did for the weekend? If so do you mind sharing the $ details for it. You could also PM me if you prefer.
To run the SRA series you buy a car for 47k ready to race. There are ten races over 5 weekends. Most people leave their cars at TMI. I keep mine as I drive it at many tracks.
For race weekends you can hire TMI for 400/day plus consumables. They will fuel, torque, and assist with anything. I thought they did a fantastic job and will hire them again.

So, to answer your question, most do arrive and drive. BUT you need to buy the car.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
It's not clear at this time. I was told they are testing a new design link on one or more of the cars right now.
The only impact my car has had was on the other side and it was very low speed.
Maybe the corrective action will be simply replacing the involved parts at regular intervals. I don't want to walk on anyone's toes at Ariel, and I know they are thinking on it.

My Atom has over 3000 miles on it (only track of course).
If the above is true there's a lot wrong with putting unsuspecting human crash test dummies out there IMO. If they want to test that stuff they should do it at their own facility and risk their own lives not yours.

There must be more to that failure. Their policy can't be "Hey, let's see if this works," and put a customer in the car to race it.

Glad you had fun though!

Last edited by Streak; 06-12-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streak
If the above is true there's a lot wrong with putting unsuspecting human crash test dummies out there IMO. If they want to test that stuff they should do it at their own facility and risk their own lives not yours.

There must be more to that failure. Their policy can't be "Hey, ;et's see if this works," and put a customer in the car to race it.

Glad you had fun though!
I've certainly thought like this as well but then I started thinking about whether or not this should be considered a wear item. Certainly there are many who recommend replacing control arms and such at regular intervals.
I don't want to crucify anyone as I don't have enough information.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

BTW, here is the view from the car behind me.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

code brown! in the corner station....
Old 06-13-2013, 01:00 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bugger. At least you were alone and didn't hit anything. Stuff does break on race cars. We demand they be as light as possible and then go beat the snot out of them. Hopefully that's a one off for you. Lucky pussies have lots of lives.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

I doubt they are just guessing at what is a good suspension arm and running human guinea pigs. Just like lots of other race cars, you find some parts start to fail after lots of use and either have to be replaced at specific service intervals or redesigned to last longer.

This high load suspension part went 3,000 track miles. That is a lot of use.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:38 AM
LUV2SPEED2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy yourself a lottery ticket ! Your a lucky guy.........

Quick Reply: When suspension snaps at 100 mph AND my first Spec Atom Race