Sponsored by:

Atlanta Motorsports Park

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:51 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Atlanta Motorsports Park

Had my first time there this past weekend with Carolinas PCA. Saturday was good, unfortunately Sunday runs were canceled due to the monsoon.

For the 1st time in my life, I actually got carsick. My instructor took me out in his GT3 and it was an 18 minute roller coaster ride. I used to think I wanted one of those cars; now I'm not so sure. He could sure flog the hell out of it.

After riding in his car, getting back in my 911 was like going from a F-16 to a Tiger Moth.

Fun track, a bit of a PIA to get to, and very little infrastructure. Hopefully that will improve over the years. Elevation changes have to be experienced at speed to be believed.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Great things are going to happen there in the future. That track is a ball to drive and the people involved know what they're doing.
Their karting track has to be the most thrilling in the country.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

as for the car sickness, it's not uncommon even for pro racers to get carsick as passengers at speed. don't let your experience talk you out of a GT3

I'd love to get to AMP soon. I've heard it's a great combination of Road Atlanta and Barber, sounds like a winner to me
Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

CMP is really a fun track. Not very big compared to Watkins Glen or VIR, but really a hoot. I live in NYC and its a GOTO track for me for their fall race. If you were with Carolinas Region I am sure they were great hosts and made you comfortable. I bet Sadie was there with coffee and donuts.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to spend more time on that track. Tried last month, but it was a monsoon, and I got about 3 laps in, in the wet. I have to be honest, I did not like that track. Way too busy, difficult to look ahead, you can't see most apexes until after you've turned in, etc. And hey, I love elevation, and don't mind blind turns, but it was just ridiculous. I was left with the feeling that it was like an autocross course, only without the ability to see. I'm sure with time, and memorizing the track, it is fun. But first impression was not so great. And I do know that it is polarizing, I'm not the only one who doesn't care for it.

Like I said, I need to spend more time on the track to get a better feel for it. But I'm not surprised your impression from taking a ride was so negative. I wouldn't blame the car. It is just a tough track to the uninitiated. If you'll be at RA next month, see if you can get a ride with an instructor in similar car there. May be tough, but try.

I actually like where it is. An hour closer to me than Road Atlanta, and I don't have to deal with the traffic all around it.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
as for the car sickness, it's not uncommon even for pro racers to get carsick as passengers at speed. don't let your experience talk you out of a GT3

I'd love to get to AMP soon. I've heard it's a great combination of Road Atlanta and Barber, sounds like a winner to me
I found out later that I wasn't the only one: one of the instructors got sick riding with his student, and my instructor told me that he got a little ill riding with me. At the time, I thought he was just commenting on my driving skills. AMP in a fast car really is like a giant roller coaster.

After I had time to get over the nausea, the GT3 is back on the bucket list. Before I even think about buying one and putting it on the track, I have to learn how to drive my current 911 properly. Typically, I get better as the DE weekend progresses, but only getting to drive on a track once a month or so is a big limiting factor.

My instructor did a lap in 1:25 in his GT3. My best time in my 911 was 1:55. Amazing what 23 years of technological improvement will do.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,082 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
My instructor did a lap in 1:25 in his GT3. My best time in my 911 was 1:55. Amazing what 23 years of technological improvement will do.
That and tightening up "the loose nut behind the wheel."

Bet you'll cut that differential down as you improve and he stays where he is (1:25 is a darn good time at AMP).
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
That and tightening up "the loose nut behind the wheel."

Bet you'll cut that differential down as you improve and he stays where he is (1:25 is a darn good time at AMP).
Yep. I think I can get a good 2 secs off that 1:55.

Not to change the subject, but if I were to suddenly come into some money, like some accidentally fell out of the fix the house fund, what would be the best choice for a driving school, bearing in mind that I live in Augusta, GA?

One of the Skip Barber schools at Roebling Road or Rd Atlanta?
One of the Porsche schools at Barber?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:34 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep. I think I can get a good 2 secs off that 1:55.

Not to change the subject, but if I were to suddenly come into some money, like some accidentally fell out of the fix the house fund, what would be the best choice for a driving school, bearing in mind that I live in Augusta, GA?

Others may differ, but I honestly believe that you can't do much better this year than using one of our Pro Coaches, in your own car - perhaps three times over this season.

Later, should you desire, an advanced racing school could be of benefit.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,082 Likes on 1,801 Posts

f I were to suddenly come into some money, like some accidentally fell out of the fix the house fund, what would be the best choice for a driving school, bearing in mind that I live in Augusta, GA?

Bertil Roos at Roebling Road, PSDS at Barber with Skippy third at Road Atlanta.

Dennis Macchio at Bertil Roos offers programs that give excellent and superb foundation-building instruction in your car, which is priceless.

My friends and colleagues Brian Cunningham, Jeff Purner and Cass Whitehead do an incredible job at Barber, and would give you one hell of a good foundation. More expensive because you use their car, but excellent facility for learning, practicing and refining basics.

Skippy? Well, the methodologies are proven and tested, but there's been a brain drain there and while some of the kids teaching are ok, the institutional equity represented by the truly great Skip Barber instructors is gone... You might get lucky and get Terry Lee, or you might get a kid shaking you down to "start a team," of course with him as your "lead driver/coach."

I think that if you have NOT been to a pro school, it's REALLY important for you to have that under your belt. I've gotten to the point where few clients I work with have NOT gone to one of the recognized schools...

The best way forward is "best execution of fundamental skills," with the pro schools doing the best at inculcating and allowing you instant feedback on your "execution" of those skills in time to fix them immediately.

For a private coach in your area, I can't recommend Seth Thomas enough...
Old 05-22-2013, 08:37 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on Seth Thomas. Also +1 on Roebling Road. I'm not familiar with Bertil Roos, except in name, but a good coach at that track would be a great learning experience. It's a great car control track.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, did he really do a 1:25. Leh keen did a 1:23 in the top speed GTR and cass whitehead did a 1:23 in a 997 cup that they were trying to dial in for a customer.

Awesome if he really did, would love to see the vid
Old 05-22-2013, 10:19 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I ran the PCA event at AMP a few weeks ago, and thoght the track was great fun. Especially the run from Turrn 1 around to Turn 7. The only awkward part to me was that dip near the apex of Turn 11, and trying to maintain enough momentum to climb the hill to Turn 12 in third. I thought breaking into the high 1:30's was good, but I can't even imagine the low 1:20's.

That rain day on Sunday was still pretty fun. The track drains quite well for the most part. Just a bit of a stream running down the hill before turn 16 would cause some hydroplaning.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Slow RSA
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

True story on Cass there. He was coaching a new cup customer for Goldcrest Motorsports, and just shaking down the car. Track staff came out at the end of the day and told him he was consistently within tenths of the record all day and said they would stay if he would give it a go. Old tires and all, he went out and made it happen... Also on an early 997 with the more restrictive exhaust, etc. Would be interesting to see in a newer car on fresh michelins.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:32 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Dang, did he really do a 1:25. Leh keen did a 1:23 in the top speed GTR and cass whitehead did a 1:23 in a 997 cup that they were trying to dial in for a customer.

Awesome if he really did, would love to see the vid
I'm not going to swear to the 1:25, but it was thereabouts. At the time I was hanging on for dear life, trying not to puke, and telling myself I was an idiot for getting in this car in the first place. I tried to use my wrist timer in between bouncing off the seat bolsters and that was probably a guesstimate.

I know nobody passed us, we passed everybody we saw, and the car was like a crazed panther on steroids. I kept trying to look ahead and see the setup for the next corner and I couldn't get my head to turn enough.

I never dreamed a stock 2007 GT3 on track tires could run like this. I have flown in an A-4 Skyhawk being flogged by a Navy pilot, and it didn't compare to the sheer nausea inducement of 8 laps of AMP.

Quick Reply: Atlanta Motorsports Park