Sponsored by:

Blocking vs. defending

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,535 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by caymancyr
+1! 109 keeps his line at 19:30 (nowhere close to the race line) to keep 415 further off of race line. Thus, camera car takes the advantage.

In my view, 415 doesn't work hard enough to maintain the race line and force 109 to back off going into the corners. Same issue (or just too much peeking in both cases) for 415 as the camera car takes the lead.

More than just commenting on how screwed up this looks, is anybody willing to divulge how they would have played this scenario (19:15 to 19:45) different if they were 109? if they were 415?

Sure. One possible approach: 109 makes the pass in T12, and actually MAKES the pass, tracking out properly. When he moves track left to set up for 13, he should just KNOW that 415 will try to dive bomb him on the inside...so 109 purposely suckers 415 in and takes 13 a bit slow and takes 415 on the over under by being slower in but faster out (and staying on track).
Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I'm convinced that guy had no clue you were there as it doesn't seem that he gave you a point by.
Oh, he knew I was there, alright. I was right behind him for 4 consecutive laps, during which time he twice passed other cars in a no passing zone - without having received point by's from those drivers. He had no intention of allowing me to explore the track ahead of him at my own, faster pace. As a PCA instructor, I found his behavior unsafe, not simply discourteous, so I provided this and other video evidence to the CDI - who agreed with my assessment.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Defending = Your the one doing it

Blocking = Its getting done to you (Sato)
Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Oh, he knew I was there, alright. I was right behind him for 4 consecutive laps, during which time he twice passed other cars in a no passing zone - without having received point by's from those drivers. He had no intention of allowing me to explore the track ahead of him at my own, faster pace. As a PCA instructor, I found his behavior unsafe, not simply discourteous, so I provided this and other video evidence to the CDI - who agreed with my assessment.
Sorry, but this all just sounds crazy to me, especially for a DE. I usually just go through Pit Lane to let people like that get out of my way. It's about having fun - right?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 AM
caymancyr
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Sure. One possible approach: 109 makes the pass in T12, and actually MAKES the pass, tracking out properly. When he moves track left to set up for 13, he should just KNOW that 415 will try to dive bomb him on the inside...so 109 purposely suckers 415 in and takes 13 a bit slow and takes 415 on the over under by being slower in but faster out (and staying on track).

Thanks

Old 05-20-2013, 11:40 AM
GearTie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battle Royale!!!

Ya...that was me and my buddy Mike dukin" it out for first place after I spun out in turn 19. Not the best "race craft" by either of us. Patience would have been the best approach there for me. When I brought the car down on the entry of turn 13, I thought I had position and could brake check him into the turn to hold position. Oh well, sorry you got caught up in all that Frank. However, it was the most fun I had all weekend!!!

If you want to see someone try and actually run me off the track to hold position, check out the final lap from my World Challenge race last weekend at COTA. Start watching at 38:41": http://www.world-challengetv.com/#/races/653

I'm in the Pontiac Solstice. The Compass 360 Car basically tries to push me off the track to hold P3 while we are drag racing out of T20 to the checker. I still have the tire marks on my right front to prove it! The good news is that it didn't work and I took the podium!

It was a really fun weekend!!

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited by GearTie; 05-20-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spell
Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GearTie
Ya...that was me and my buddy Mike dukin" it out for first place after I spun out in turn 19. Not the best "race craft" by either of us. Patience would have been the best approach there for me. When I brought the car down on the entry of turn 13, I thought I had position and could brake check him into the turn to hold position. Oh well, sorry you got caught up in all that Frank. However, it was the most fun I had all weekend!!!

If you want to see someone try and actually run me off the track to hold position, check out the final lap from my World Challenge race last weekend at COTA. Start watching at 38:41": http://www.world-challengetv.com/#/races/653

I'm in the Pontiac Solstice. The Compass 360 Car basically tries to push me off the track to hold P3 while we are drag racing out of T20 to the checker. I still have the tire marks on my right front to prove it! The good news is that it didn't work and I took the podium!

It was a really fun weekend!!

Cheers!

Dan

The C360R car was nicer than I would have expected for the last lap of a WC race. Nice run up on that last lap.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:08 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Sorry, but this all just sounds crazy to me, especially for a DE. I usually just go through Pit Lane to let people like that get out of my way. It's about having fun - right?
To put things into context, I responded to the OP with a light hearted comment about something being in the water, and added my own example. Just look at all of the other threads and posts... The crazyiness is what this track and event seemed to bring out in people, not my obvervation of it.

But if you want to talk about what should have happened with this particular driver over the course of the entire session (which was not the point of my original post), you might consider how much track time had already been lost due to incidents, logistical delays, lengthy ingress/egress times caused by the long pit lane and large run groups, and in the DE groups in particular, the length of time spent poking along behind extremely slow cars through the many turns. Yes, if there had been a plethora of track time and lots of open space, yet another trip down pit lane may have been a good choice. But as many other people have complained about in related threads, track time was a big issue and source of frustration for many. And given the emphasis in the preceding drivers' meetings on the lack of point-by's by people like this RS driver, the better soltuion for all would have been for this driver to refrain from passing unspecting slower drivers in the no-passing zones, and allow faster drivers to go by when the opportunity developed.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,009 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Dan, congrats on your WC podium! Did you drive with Michael Pettiford?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 952 Likes on 550 Posts

I know both of those guys in the DE video. Here's what happened. 1) The guy in the orange car does not know the guy in the Diasio, so he does not know that it's very difficult to give a point by in that thing. he waited a lot longer to react to a point than he should have. 2) The guy in the RS thinks he is fast, so once he got by the Diasio, his expectation was to put the hammer down and get on with things. I don't think you can always expect to pass someone when you are both following a much slower car. But, since you had been on his a$$ for a few laps, assuming he actually had free track in front of him to unwind, then clearly acting poorly. He's an interesting character.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:07 PM
GearTie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WC Race

Hey Peter,

Yes...I rented Michael's Solstice for the weekend. Loosest rear end I've ever driven. Once I got the hang of it, I had a really fun time driving the car. Too bad our brakes didn't hold up though. We might have had another shot at a podium. Michael and his crew are great! We had a lot of fun.

I was also surprised that the Compass cars could run as hard as they did towards the end of the race. I think that shows you just how friendly the track is to tire wear...or how good the Pirellis held up during the weekend.

Quick Reply: Blocking vs. defending