Sponsored by:

Dedicated track car Boxster vs Cayman vs Miata

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
It's a tough crowd - even when you're not a douche. When you are, well it can be brutal.

If you can already drive flat out, go for the cup. Early model cup for the win.
Since I was BANNED this is a kinder, gentler Rennlist now.... these guys are marshmallows, should have been around when Bull was here.!
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2013, 10:42 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

I would pick a Cayman as the base for a new race build. GTB1, GT4 or something like that. Would be a blast IMO.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
these guys are marshmallows, should have been around when Bull was here.!
Agreed. Bull (aka Bob W) could rip you a new one in 20 words or less. I still miss the guy .
Old 05-18-2013, 10:45 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Agreed. Bull (aka Bob W) could rip you a new one in 20 words or less. I still miss the guy .
Me too.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

I just did a shot of Tequila in his honor (really, I did) , the big head, cigar smoking, beer drinking bastard! Bull, you WILL be remembered and that's what its all about. Cheers ya *****!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:45 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, at least I livened things up a bit.
Think I'll get a Schwinn.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:35 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

If you are accustomed to the power and handling C2S on the track:

1. If you DE the new car you will sorely miss the power and slower lap times with the miata or spec box. If you can afford it the cayman would be a great car.

2. If you quickly move to racing then it changes things, the excitement is in the quality of the racing and the group you run with more than outright speed. Therefore a look at your potential competition is most important. Are they a good group to run with? Lots of turnout and plenty of events? I would let that drive much of the decision. You will find yourself having way more fun than running a faster car all by yourself and winning your DE.

If your a Pcar enthusiast and only like Porsches then the miata or vette are no options. The vette is an easy car to drive and make fast cheap by pcar standards. But one good whack and look for another car. They are not a resilient chassis.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:11 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I've been pondering this question myself over the last few years. The most common thing in all of the feedback I've received from folks who race their own cars was that, even in the "cheapest" series (e.g. Spec Miata) the way to the podium is usually paved with $$$ and "cheating". Most of my friends who race complain most of the time about how others are faster because they can afford to spend more on ever more intricate ways of "cheating" the series/class rules.

So I decided to race in a series where such excuses wouldn't work: arrive & drive with Skip Barber Racing Series (MX-5, in my case, but some choose the open-wheel Formulas as well). All cars are set-up the same and you pick your car by a lottery. Every 1sec of lap-time differential has much more meaning this way. It's humbling and extremely educational when a 19yr old kid or a Skip instructor can find a whole 1sec (or 2?) per 1min of lap time on the same track in the exact same car. Have been doing it for a bit more than two years and I've had a blast.

Cost-wise (including the cost of time it takes to prep and haul your own car) -- though it's not cheap -- it may still be the cheapest way to race available, all in. Then I have my Porsches for an occasional DE (extra practice). So far I've been very happy with this set-up.

Ideally, after building a decent podium-finish resume with Skip Barber, some (even older) folks have gone on to join pro-teams as semi-pros (drive for free) or "gentlemen drivers" (sponsor the team in return for a race seat). The better your record, the less you have to pay to race with the big boys. A guy can dream...

Just something else to consider...
^great advise

How much time can you commit to a race season, and, How much do you want to win?

Arrive and Drive vs. SM.

if you are winning in SM, you have accomplished quite a bit.

same in Skippy series with less time commitment. maybe not more $.

Quick Reply: Dedicated track car Boxster vs Cayman vs Miata