Sponsored by:

Hoosier Wets

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 03:07 PM
jkb157
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Hoosier Wets

I wise man once told me that 2 things happen in the rain and both of them are bad. With that said what sizes would you recommend for a 7.5 front and 10 rear width rim for a 996.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:17 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Size large trailer
Old 05-12-2013, 06:43 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Dave - very wise..

Hey - Remember the Track Chair some years ago at WGI? Rainy day and someone asked what the rain line was - classic response: "for me..... The garage".. I think you were there.

But this is a real question - deserves an answer:

It kind of depends on the body shape and more - not just wheel size. Wide body, narrow? .. Your real intended use etc..

More detail will help.

Best advice is to call WoodmanTires and get a very accurate recommendation from them.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:57 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

jkb157 - Dunno about the "two bad things can happen in the rain". I don't agree. Thats almost as true in the dry. Rain just demands more skills - actually an very important skill to master.

I actually like running in the rain. Reading the track surface, understanding how car, track and surface change with rain, other cars and even temperature - sometimes with each lap. Its fun.

Knowing a rain line can be as important as rain tires. OK - Maybe better to say: if you don't know the first, the second won't help you as much as you think.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I actually like running in the rain. Reading the track surface, understanding how car, track and surface change with rain, other cars and even temperature - sometimes with each lap. Its fun.

Knowing a rain line can be as important as rain tires. OK - Maybe better to say: if you don't know the first, the second won't help you as much as you think.
+2
Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

On my 996 I run 295's and 245's on 18 inch rims
but my front rims are 8 1/2's.
I am sure you can get the 245's on the 7 1/2 rims if you squeeze them.
The rears fit on 10's no problem.

275's and 225's for rain tires are fine too if you don't want to squeeze the fronts on. I ran those sizes when I had smaller rims.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:45 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

In my experience, running a fairly narrow tire in the rain yields the best resistance to hydroplaning. For your application, something like a 225 F / 255 or 265 R could be the best.

GRM Magazine did a test that pitted Hoosier wets to Conti Extreme Contact DW tires and the Hoosier was faster, but not by much. I recently ran on a rain day with the Conti tire, and in one 20 minute session, I think I passed everyone on course at least once, and was starting to lap quite a few. I am not normally a Conti tire fan, but this one is amazing in the wet, and very low cost compared to the Hoosier.

Oh, and I think this is one tire that Conti actually makes themselves!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUGLAP1
In my experience, running a fairly narrow tire in the rain yields the best resistance to hydroplaning. For your application, something like a 225 F / 255 or 265 R could be the best.

GRM Magazine did a test that pitted Hoosier wets to Conti Extreme Contact DW tires and the Hoosier was faster, but not by much. I recently ran on a rain day with the Conti tire, and in one 20 minute session, I think I passed everyone on course at least once, and was starting to lap quite a few. I am not normally a Conti tire fan, but this one is amazing in the wet, and very low cost compared to the Hoosier.

Oh, and I think this is one tire that Conti actually makes themselves!
Just ordered a set of Conti DWs from Tire Rack for wet DE/track tires for my S2. Tire Rack rep says the DWs have gotten good reviews for this purpose and have done well on their internal testing. If it rains this weekend I'll post how they did.

Quick Reply: Hoosier Wets