Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Great fun for your passengers
I can personally attest to this.

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Michelin really does have itself a winner with this tire, that we can't sell to anyone with a 991.
Fixed it for you.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,503 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Super Sports are the ultimate arrive, drive and then drive home again tire.
If that is what you are looking for just order them - they can't be beat.
Hot Temps 33-35 front and 36-38 rear for the track for a 911.
The tires do need to go through a scrubbing to remove all the release agent - be prepared for this as the first half day you can get into ABS issues until it is all scrubbed off - they get much better after that - don't judge them until this happens. Probably also better not to use a very aggressive pad as again ABS won't be totally happy - an endure type pad after scrubbing is perfect.
Good that you mentioned this, since I did my first day with the Super Sports today and didn't find the grip to be all that great, though the tires are predictable and break away progressively. I used hot pressures of about 36 all around, and may need to tweek this some, though I didn't notice a big change in grip as the pressures built up from starting pressures of around 29, and no major problems with understeer or oversteer with the equal F/R pressures. Using PFC 08 and 05 pads, and ABS seemed OK.

As much I've whined about the R888s, I like them better than the Super Sports for now, but I'll give the Super Sports more time.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:36 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

any road miles on the supersports before putting them on the track?

I had ~1,000 miles in mine before track use and had no release mold agent issues.

clearly they aren't R-comps, they are designed for a much wider performance envelope; but I really like them. And the 300 wear rating isn't a joke...they last much longer than anything else with that grip level.

stick with them, unless you're used to the grip of much more focused tires (r-comps or true slicks), you'll love them.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:45 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
I'm very please to see all the positive feedback on the Super Sport. Michelin really does have itself a winner with this tire. It's quickly becoming a "go-to" for people looking for a great all around performance that can hold up to track use.

Please give me a call to order, or use this link. Thanks.
Damon, any chance they will start making them in 16" sizes?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

I'm new to the track but have been running the super sports as well. I will say that I've noticed a big difference one the rear pressures climb. I didn't think I was at a level to be concerned yet but the next time I will be paying more attention. I noticed the back end starting to get a little greasy on me and when I pulled in the rears were at 44 lbs.

Ideally, what should I be shooting for, under 36/38 hot?
Old 04-28-2013, 02:33 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the super sports much more than ps2, and last much longer. Predictable, good feedback, and clearly better as street tire. Pressure: better to keep them under 38 psi IMO.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have two 275-35-18 MPSS that I used for 3 dry and 3 wet DE sessions. I had them shaved to 8/32 by the Tirerack and they worked really well in both the wet and dry. They barely show any sign of wear.

Offered at $260/pair and may be able to deliver to WGI or Tremblant.

There are plenty of sizes available for matching fronts.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sports on Track?