Sponsored by:

LRP Club Race 2013..............

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
What do you mean here by "more real estate from the start of the downhill all the way to start/finish?"
Originally Posted by gums
Short shift it so the car is not under uneven throttle loads in the skittery part
Yes exactly, Frank.

Matt, as if often the case, when a car is at very high RPM's with lateral load (often with elevation change), the driver has to sort of feather the throttle somewhat because the car is so loaded up...whereas in one higher gear, there is much less rev loading, thus no need to feather the throttle nearly as much. Thus, with a much more stable chassis, the driver can be WOT for a lot more real estate of that corner or section. Another example would be at the Glen, exiting T1 in 3rd...shifting to 4th on revs, then quickly to 5th to aid turn in for T2 and to stabilize the chassis through the esses, enabling WOT all the way through. I have worked with a number of well known posters in this foruum on this exact thing, and their laptimes (and peace of mind) have improved.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:02 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree it is a good practice to short shift leaving T1 into T2 at the Glen (builds confidence), but the driver should be working towards removing the short shift into T2 and climbing the hill with as much acceleration as possible.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:08 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Well you may be correct, Ron. However, the fact that you are upshifting at track out tells me it will work, and would likely be faster. it will SOUND slower...but will BE faster. And, it will help you turn more easily, with more throttle position for more real estate from the start of the Downhill all the way to start/finish.
Yes but it is 4th when Ron get back it to throttle he is at 6500-6800 RPM and that is exactly the place to be.

I look at video and say "I Suck" and I should change this that and the other stuff ,but to got out and make those changes if at all possible is difficult for even the seasoned driver.

My take on the 6cup platform, is that they are more balanced than the older 911's and thus for me tends to understeer more than any 911 before. It is the only 911 that I have driven that wears the front tires equal to the rears and that is unusual for a 911 . It is the platform and the tires that contribute to this tendency. These cars can be driven to 95% of its potential with the tradition smooth style but to extract more sometimes requires an unusual style. IMO

The speeds ron maintains in the downhill and big bend would cause my car to understeer badly without some induced rotation.

The style fits PCA's Short races.

Bob

Last edited by fstockcarrera; 05-06-2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
I agree it is a good practice to short shift leaving T1 into T2 at the Glen (builds confidence), but the driver should be working towards removing the short shift into T2 and climbing the hill with as much acceleration as possible.
In some cars I agree. Some gearing, however, really benefits from short shifting, to avoid having to shift right in the middle of 3

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Yes but it is 4th when Ron get back it to throttle his is at 6500-6800 RPM and that is exactly the place to be.

I look at video and say "I Suck" an I should change this that and the other stuff ,but to got out and make those changes if at all possible is difficult for even the seasoned driver.

My take on the 6cup platform is that they are more balanced than the older 911's and thus for me tends to understeer more than any 911 before. It is the only 911 that I have driven that wears the front tires equal to the rears and that is unusual for a 911 . It is the platform and the tires that contribute to this tendency. These cars can be driven to 95% of its potential with the tradition smooth style but to extract more sometimes requires an unusual style. IMO

The speeds ron maintains in the downhill and big bend would cause my car to understeer badly without some induced rotation.

Bob
Well...any time I see a driver running out of revs at track out, I always suggest they try upshifting sooner. Most folks poo-poo it, and in the car it SOUNDS slower because the engine is not making nearly the noise. But quite often they are faster in the lap time department.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,825 Posts

I don't know, VR. I see him shifting after the car is straight and before he runs out of revs. That part looks good to me.

Having done thousands of laps there in the last quarter century (and been on the pole several times in front of 20,000+ people), Ron's video captures an entertaining (and productive) session. Of course, there are other areas that could reap greater improvement!

To be fastest every session in the largest race group of the weekend is no mean feat.

I'll share my observations privately with roketman, but I can tell you, :54.X at LRP in a 6Cup is a situation where the car is not completely connected with the road. Anywhere!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

To each his own
Old 05-07-2013, 07:40 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 921 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I'll share my observations privately with roketman, but I can tell you, :54.X at LRP in a 6Cup is a situation where the car is not completely connected with the road. Anywhere!
That is no small feat. Ron has a bit of a different style, but he is very fast. The rides he gives around NHMS in the GTR are a blast!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:35 PM
rstrahota
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Another nice video

https://vimeo.com/65231087
Now that completely sucks...
Ds

Quick Reply: LRP Club Race 2013..............