Somebody Talk Me Out of This...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA997
OT, but is Geoffrey selling his car?
Yes, he is. I'm sure he can be found in Rennlist.

I think that there's been very fair ideas presented in this thread.
If you want a GT car, do it. Passion- the heart, not the mind. It's racing, none of us would do it if it had to make sense.
A GT car minimizes the questions of cheating in the lettered car/spec classes. A GT car will immediately/eventually cost more to run than a lettered car. An early 70's tub is way fun to drive, but you had better start working out now- no power steering or brakes, constantly hunting around, a handful. Kick ***, ear to ear grin, old school.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

I think he had some sort of engine "event" at Limerock a couple weeks back, never got over to ask him what caused the blue fog though.. it looked bad from a distance.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:41 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SoClose
Yes, he is. I'm sure he can be found in Rennlist.
Thank you...I cant believe I missed the FS posting...cant find it. I've got his number and will reach out to him.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I think he had some sort of engine "event" at Limerock a couple weeks back, never got over to ask him what caused the blue fog though.. it looked bad from a distance.
I hope that's not the case. Unfortunate.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:05 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

An early 70's tub is way fun to drive, but you had better start working out now- no power steering or brakes, constantly hunting around, a handful. Kick ***, ear to ear grin, old school.
I must be a big strong guy because I find my GT car with 11.5" front slicks. manual steering, and non-boosted 930 brakes easy to drive. I am ashamed to say that I don't lift weights at all. Unless you count 12 0z Diet Dr. Pepper cans......

Maybe I don't know any better!!

Scott
Old 04-19-2013, 12:44 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I must be a big strong guy because I find my GT car with 11.5" front slicks. manual steering, and non-boosted 930 brakes easy to drive. I am ashamed to say that I don't lift weights at all. Unless you count 12 0z Diet Dr. Pepper cans......

Scott
Owen Trinkleer, Nic Jonsson and Cory Friedman have driven the car, and the first two didn't want to drive it again- something about needing 'gorilla arms'.
Cory drove it several times and I think liked that aspect. All felt that the car was set up well- maybe an aberrancy of my car?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:56 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 201 Posts

Scott
My experience is more like SoClose, my GT car is certainly a very physical drive. Maybe not as far as to say gorilla arms, but I do need to spend a fair amount of time in the gym if I am going to drive 30-90 minutes in this car without letting up. In contrast 90 minutes in my old SpecBoxster was a walk in the park.

BTW, SoClose is probably in the top 1% fitness wise of the folks on this board. If he says it's a work out, I believe him.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:09 PM
winders
Race Car

Owen Trinkleer, Nic Jonsson and Cory Friedman have driven the car, and the first two didn't want to drive it again- something about needing 'gorilla arms'.
Cory drove it several times and I think liked that aspect. All felt that the car was set up well- maybe an aberrancy of my car?
No, I am sure you are right....an experienced racer friend drove my car for a few sessions and commented on how physical it was. I suspect I don't notice it because I don't know any better. I am 6' 3", weigh 215 lbs, and I am not weak. This is my first race car. My wife has a 997 that feels way to disconnected for me.

Scott
Old 04-19-2013, 05:26 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Enter the pool at the shallow end. Consequences-cost, closing speeds, maintenance costs, consumables costs all argue against a GT class 'special.'
Get either a production class or spec class car running DOT not slicks, with parts that can be obtained from factory authorized sources and screwed on according to factory authorized manuals.
Going racing involves a lot of work and you want to minimize as many variables as possible early on. A racecar is not a static, finished 'thing' in the same way you think of a street car. It is a license to buy parts and a tunable instrument with a lot of variables. Err on the side of simplicity, you won't be sorry.

EDIT: and PS, someone oughta buy this FF!!!

Last edited by BrandonH; 04-19-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: forgot to advertise
Old 04-19-2013, 06:08 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by BrandonH
Enter the pool at the shallow end.
Oh geez.......not everyone has to start with an alphabet car!!!!!!!!

Scott
Old 04-19-2013, 06:30 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh geez.......not everyone has to start with an alphabet car!!!!!!!!

Scott
Agree; one should really start in karts, graduate to open wheel or sports racer, then a nice porky closed car of one's choosing, but given the dearth of profile info by the OP, I like my counsel as the best 'average' advice!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:40 PM
winders
Race Car

Agree; one should really start in karts, graduate to open wheel or sports racer, then a nice porky closed car of one's choosing, but given the dearth of profile info by the OP, I like my counsel as the best 'average' advice!
Bollocks!

I guess you missed this:

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
I have a (youth) kart racing and motorcycle DE background. I'm not new to driving competitively, but I AM new to preparing and racing an actual GT car. I know this will be a completely different kettle of fish and I have a lot to learn. Hopefully you guys can help me along the road to getting there.
Scott

Last edited by winders; 04-19-2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-19-2013, 07:56 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine (whom I'm betting you probably know) is building a LeMons Porsche 928/Chevy small-block hybrid now. I would expect I'll get involved with that at some point.
Yep, I know that guy. Haha.

{ looks closer at avatar }

Waaaaait, were you the guy whose car I was going all "ehmahgerd, I need your car" about at the last Spokes event? Because I need your car.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:01 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Get either a production class or spec class car running DOT not slicks
Which PCA classes that run 911s fit this criteria? To that point, can anyone point me to a good resource that explains the various PCA classes and prep specifics, or is the rule book it?

Originally Posted by ninjacoco
Yep, I know that guy. Haha.

{ looks closer at avatar }

Waaaaait, were you the guy whose car I was going all "ehmahgerd, I need your car" about at the last Spokes event? Because I need your car.
Yep, that's me and I now I remember who you are, too. I'll be at the next one in San Antonio next month.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Which PCA classes that run 911s fit this criteria? To that point, can anyone point me to a good resource that explains the various PCA classes and prep specifics, or is the rule book it?
Page 34 onwards gives you a general sense of the classes:

http://www.pca.org/portals/cr/2013%2...ule%20Book.pdf

Listen to the others, what class you successfully race in is a function of your experience and the size of your wallet . Don't start with a specific car, identify the class you want to race in first and then look for a competitive car in that class.

For PCA Club Racing: If you have no racing license, you need to demonstrate 12 days of DE over the past 24 months AND you need a sign off by your PCA regions Chief Instructor for your Rookie application. THen you need to make it past "the talk" with Susan Shire .
Old 04-20-2013, 09:53 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The rule book is it - and it is confusing until you have read it 15 times. In a nutshell here is a simple list to help get you started...keeping your semi-budget 911 in mind.

The Stock classes, say D through H (you see the list in the book) are just that. Semi stripped 911s, limited to a few mods and weight. E Stock is a huge class with lots of fun competetion.

The Prepared Stock cars are those which have had one or two limited mods which carry them out of Stock.

The GTC cars are factory Cup cars: GTC1=964 Cups through GTC5=the newest of the 7Cups.

The GTA cars are other factory cars, RSRs, Rs or Cups which have been modded beyond the restrictions of GTC. Class (1 or 2) is based on engine size.

The GT cars (like the one you like) are cars which have been modded beyond Stock or Prepared. Virtually anything goes. Classification (GT1 through GT5) is based on theoretical horsepower (i.e. 6cyl aircooled engines have a theo hp of 110 per liter) and weight. Some cars in this class are simply there because the owner build a bit of a hot rod and exceeded Stock, others were built to a specific class. GTxS cars run on DOTs and GTxR cars on slicks - no big deal.

Others can add in, but hopefully this helps.

Quick Reply: Somebody Talk Me Out of This...