Sponsored by:

Connor De Phillippi - new Porsche Junior Driver from USA

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:37 AM
fondueski
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connor De Phillippi - new Porsche Junior Driver from USA

I was fortunate to meet with Connor De Phillippi over lunch recently. This past winter, he was selected to the Porsche Junior Driver Team, and he will be a Porsche sponsored racer in the Carrera Cup Deutschland this year. Carrera Cup Deutschland races on DTM race weekends.

He's only the second American to be a Porsche driver; he's following in Patrick Long's footsteps. And he's a great guy as well.

Interview is posted here: Connor De Phillippi Interview.

Last edited by fondueski; 04-24-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:11 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

His father Craig worked at Swift for some time. I got to know Craig and Connor during that time. Good people!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:02 AM
fondueski
Track Day

I think he has a really bright future. Looking forward to the Carrera Cup Deutschland season.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 AM
fondueski
Track Day

Connor's first Carrera Cup Deutschland race is tomorrow at Hockenheim. Race 1 is 8:15 AM PT and Race 2 is Sunday at 12:55 AM PT.

Live stream: Carrera Cup Deutschland Stream

More details: Carrera Cup Deutschland Begins
Old 05-04-2013, 04:53 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Very cool. Thx for sharing.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:41 PM
JasonZBell
4th Gear

Connor is doing very well in his first year in the Porsche Motorsport family. It's great to see another American competing against some very tough Porsche veteran drivers! The U.S. open wheel ladder system (Mazda Road to Indy) lost a great young driver, but I think Connor made the right choice.

After 5 of the 17 rounds, Connor is leading the "Rookie of the Year" standings over the other Porsche Junior driver, Alex Riberas from Spain, and sits in P9 overall in the Driver's Championship. I've followed each race and it looks like he's getting more and more confident in the Cup car with each lap. He just needs the seat time and has a sharp learning curve with tracks he has never driven on before, however, he seems to adapt very quickly.

Last round at the Red Bull Ring, he lost two belts in qualifying and did not get a chance to complete a flyer or two before parking it. He had to start Race 1 of the weekend way back in P20, but he was able to pass 7 other drivers to finish in P13. In Race 2, he had to start in P21. This time he did even better and really put on a clinic. At the end of this 2nd sprint race, he passed 14 cars and ended in P7. It was amazing to watch on TV. You could tell he was really in a groove, even with all the chaos on the track.

I hope Porsche Motorsport releases more on-board footage, but here is the standing start and first full lap of Connor's first PCCD race at the 25km Nurburgring Nordschleife.

Don't forget to make sure it's playing in 720p and turn the speakers up!

Old 06-12-2013, 02:02 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

taht section from 6:00 to 6:05 is wild. banking and rough. whats going on there??

Originally Posted by JasonZBell
Connor is doing very well in his first year in the Porsche Motorsport family. It's great to see another American competing against some very tough Porsche veteran drivers! The U.S. open wheel ladder system (Mazda Road to Indy) lost a great young driver, but I think Connor made the right choice.

After 5 of the 17 rounds, Connor is leading the "Rookie of the Year" standings over the other Porsche Junior driver, Alex Riberas from Spain, and sits in P9 overall in the Driver's Championship. I've followed each race and it looks like he's getting more and more confident in the Cup car with each lap. He just needs the seat time and has a sharp learning curve with tracks he has never driven on before, however, he seems to adapt very quickly.

Last round at the Red Bull Ring, he lost two belts in qualifying and did not get a chance to complete a flyer or two before parking it. He had to start Race 1 of the weekend way back in P20, but he was able to pass 7 other drivers to finish in P13. In Race 2, he had to start in P21. This time he did even better and really put on a clinic. At the end of this 2nd sprint race, he passed 14 cars and ended in P7. It was amazing to watch on TV. You could tell he was really in a groove, even with all the chaos on the track.

I hope Porsche Motorsport releases more on-board footage, but here is the standing start and first full lap of Connor's first PCCD race at the 25km Nurburgring Nordschleife.

Don't forget to make sure it's playing in 720p and turn the speakers up!

On-Board Start & First Lap Chaos - Nurburgring Nordschleife - Porsche Junior Driver Connor De Phillippi
Old 06-12-2013, 02:53 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like he drives with 2 feet (open wheel style) and blips the throttle for downshifts not using the clutch.

Lots of drivers from open wheel to cups use this method and many believe its faster too.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:25 PM
JasonZBell
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
taht section from 6:00 to 6:05 is wild. banking and rough. whats going on there??
Ahh yes, that's the Caracciola Karussell, probably the most famous turn on the track. I think it's about 270 degrees and it was originally designed as a way for water to properly drain off the track. The driver who it's named after was the first driver to use the drainage bank for more speed to catapult him through the bend.

The turn looks to have a mixture of old concrete slabs and newer tarmac, but I am not sure why they has not been resurfaced to all tarmac. To keep it's history intact, perhaps? I'm not too sure... But it's sure one teeth chattering moment through there!

JBell
Old 06-12-2013, 05:04 PM
JasonZBell
4th Gear

Originally Posted by mobonic
Looks like he drives with 2 feet (open wheel style) and blips the throttle for downshifts not using the clutch.

Lots of drivers from open wheel to cups use this method and many believe its faster too.
With the sequential gearbox in the Carrera Cup cars, they really only need to use the clutch for 1st gear and to get off the line. From there it's like driving a shifter kart, banging through the gears and blipping on downshifts. I'm pretty sure this is how they all do it. Each video I have seen of various drivers shows the left foot braking. Like what's briefly shown in this video from Connor's first ever Porsche start:

Quick Reply: Connor De Phillippi - new Porsche Junior Driver from USA