Sterling Moss on women in racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:37 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,958 Posts
Default Sterling Moss on women in racing

Hard to believe these people still roam the earth, but it's probably not a surprise -- unlike Moss, most of us weren't even born when women couldn't vote.... He's said a lot of stupid things in the past few years to taint his legacy, probably has no idea how driven some people can be and how hard they train to be good at their profession.

Stirling Moss: Women 'lack mental aptitude' for F1
15 April 2013

"I don't know if they've got the mental aptitude to race hard, wheel-to-wheel," says British F1 legend.

Stirling Moss: Women 'lack mental aptitude' for F1
British motor racing star of the 50s Sir Stirling Moss has sparked uproar by suggesting that female drivers are incapable of succeeding in F1.

"I think they have the strength, but I don't know if they've got the mental aptitude to race hard, wheel-to-wheel," the 83-year-old told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I just don't think they have aptitude to win a F1 race," he insisted. "The mental stress I think would be pretty difficult for a lady to deal with in a practical fashion.

"We've got some very strong and robust ladies, but, when your life is at risk, I think the strain of that in a competitive situation will tell when you're trying to win," he added. "The trouble is, when you're racing, it's pretty tiring."

Despite winning 16 races in his 11 seasons in F1, Moss himself never managed to seal F1 title - leading many to dub him "the greatest driver never to win the World Championship."

"I completely disagree with him. It makes me cringe hearing that," said Williams development driver Susie Wolff who dismissed Moss' comments as "a generation thing" and said that F1 was a "very tough environment" that is hard to enter regardless of gender.

"I don't know where to start," said Wolff when asked by BBC Sport to respond to Moss's comments. "I've got a lot of respect for Sir Stirling and what he achieved, but I think we're in a different generation.

"In the days [when Sir Stirling was] racing, every time they stepped into a car, they were putting their life on the line. But F1 is much more technologically advanced, it's much safer than it was."

Moss agreed that things had changed since his day, making it physically more possible for women drivers to participate: "We had three-hour races in those days. You needed tremendous concentration. Now races are only one hour and 10 minutes."
Old 04-16-2013, 02:08 AM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vast majority of men don't have the mental aptitude to compete in F1 wheel to wheel.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:08 AM
fondueski
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask some WWII vet - if you can find one alive - if he thought women belonged in combat in the jungles of the South Pacific or trenches of Europe. Much to do about nothing...

Quick Reply: Sterling Moss on women in racing