Sponsored by:

DMTD VIR Event, Spec Racer Atom lap, Watching '91 Dallara F1 warm up

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 222 Posts
Default DMTD VIR Event, Spec Racer Atom lap, Watching '91 Dallara F1 warm up

The DMTD VIR event this week was just fantastic.

Major kudos to David Murry and Mark Taylor for running a tremendous and safe event and to the Speedsport crew for providing great trackside support for me and Irene. Simply put, the event was a blast. I met a number of Rennllisters there and of course Peter Krause was there doing what he does.

This was my second event at VIR having done the same DMTD thing last year. I focused on driving my Spec Racer Atom since I am almost certainly going to run the race series at VIR this year. I hadn't driven my Atom at VIR before so I thought this was the perfect venue to practice with it. My initial goal was to hit 2:10 which I did at the end of day 1! I kept widdling down my time until I ran a couple of 2:08s and then a 2:07.7. I even missed a shift going into the rollercoaster on my hot lap. At that point the 86 degree heat was getting to me and I decided to call it quits until next time. Wimp. I know I have at least a second on the table in braking and I'm hopeful that next time I'll hit 2:06 and maybe squeak out a 2:05. VIR is just such a cool track. I wish it were closer to home.

Anyhow, I think my times should put me in the top half of the field in the SRA series. The first race is on the relatively short South course at the beginning of June. I'm debating if I should do the 12+ hour tow to go down for that race or just wait until July when they run the full course. If any of you have raced on the South course I'd appreciate your input if you think it's fun and worthwhile.

DMTD and Group 52 events always have some very cool cars. Everything from Spec Miata to retired F1 cars. At lunch time on day 2, the 2 F1 cars were allowed out for 20 mins of open track (no other cars). I don't think either car was running that great as the times were only in the high 1:40s.

This first video is of my 2:07 lap. Note the gear finding difficulty going into the roller coaster. I am open to criticism.

This second video is me following the 1991 Dallara F1 car driven by Michel G. When I came up to him he was obviously just warming up so rather than going around, I just sat behind him filming a piece of automotive history.

And here's a quick F1 fly by filmed by my friend Joe Q.

Last edited by Coochas; 04-11-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spellllling
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I would have passed him and held him up.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I would have passed him and held him up.
I was under team orders to stay behind.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Love this track so much. Good and fun.

Does the car take the FIA curbing any good? If you can use the all the curb in Turn 3, 4, and Low Speed Esses there is a good chunk of time there due to opening up the radiuses.

My only other criticism is coming onto the front straight. That second apex doesn't need to happen. Once you get thru the compression after the first apex at the bottom of the hill you can get to WOT as soon as the car settles. I can't tell exactly without the throttle trace, but judging by the fact you turn in again for the second apex, I'm guessing you need to lift slightly to get down to the second curb. After the first apex (right hander at the bottom of the hill) you can hold a nearly constant steering input and roll into the throttle very aggressively. You won't be able to get to the second apex and you use all the track on the exit, but its worth 5+ mph on the exit.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

South course is okay for racing. Most of problems I've had stemmed from mixed class. With just SRA that should be easy. Good passing zone going into '1' and an okay one at the right coming back into the main course.

I really like the flow of the infield and the braking into the cyclone. Most people bag on it but I think it's a very fun little section of track.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2BWise
Love this track so much. Good and fun.

Does the car take the FIA curbing any good? If you can use the all the curb in Turn 3, 4, and Low Speed Esses there is a good chunk of time there due to opening up the radiuses.

My only other criticism is coming onto the front straight. That second apex doesn't need to happen. Once you get thru the compression after the first apex at the bottom of the hill you can get to WOT as soon as the car settles. I can't tell exactly without the throttle trace, but judging by the fact you turn in again for the second apex, I'm guessing you need to lift slightly to get down to the second curb. After the first apex (right hander at the bottom of the hill) you can hold a nearly constant steering input and roll into the throttle very aggressively. You won't be able to get to the second apex and you use all the track on the exit, but its worth 5+ mph on the exit.
The car does not do the curbing along 3-5 well at least in my hands although I can hammer over the climbing esses curbing pretty hard as long as I am precisely on my marks.
As for the exit going on to the front straight, I know you are right and I've had a hard time getting myself not to slow down for that downhill right. In fact I am touching the brakes there. I think a ride along for those last corners would do me a lot of good since I know I am getting killed there.

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
South course is okay for racing. Most of problems I've had stemmed from mixed class. With just SRA that should be easy. Good passing zone going into '1' and an okay one at the right coming back into the main course.

I really like the flow of the infield and the braking into the cyclone. Most people bag on it but I think it's a very fun little section of track.
Thanks for the input. I think I WILL try the first race of the season on the South course. From what I understand it is generally a 'clean' race series.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:44 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Nicely done, Dave.
I too wish VIR were closer. A few years back I realized diesel cost was $600 for that trip.
Nice video of the Dallara. Can you imagine having a car like that?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Nicely done, Dave.
I too wish VIR were closer. A few years back I realized diesel cost was $600 for that trip.
Nice video of the Dallara. Can you imagine having a car like that?
It takes a special type of enthusiast to operate those old F1 cars. Beyond the financial factor, the cars take tremendous amounts of prep time and don't spend that much time on the track. I love the fact that Michel keeps it going and does vintage races with it.
It must be a hoot to pilot.

Quick Reply: DMTD VIR Event, Spec Racer Atom lap, Watching '91 Dallara F1 warm up