Sponsored by:

First DE -insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:28 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Westfield! They provide coverage for DEs- at least in Ohio. They are a sponsor at Mid Ohio.
They will, but they will be extremely difficult to deal with in the event of a claim and then will promptly drop you afterwords. Good friend of mine went through this with them.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 150 Posts

E-mail me a copy of the dec pages( you can take out your personal info pages) of your auto policy. It will have the exclusions listed . I would more than happy to review and confirm if you have coverage or not. 98% of the policies out the have some sort of exclusion however you may be part of the 2% .

Steve@katzinsurance.com
Old 04-10-2013, 07:27 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kormaster
How much is track insurance without having ontrackinsurance.com? Annually? Per event based?
It is per event (not day) based on the total value of your car.
You get a discount for buying multiple events at a time.
They will also offer discounts for certain club memberships.
Deductible is 10% (I think) of that value.

Most of this should be on his website but they are very friendly and respond to email and phone calls just as well.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

AFAIK, at least in California, State Farm was the last company to not exclude DE as defined by any event on a "racing surface". They finally changed that this year and now DEs are clearly excluded from coverage.

In addition, my umbrella liability policy also excludes any liability claim up to the amount the underlying insurance would have covered. This is particularly concerning to me since I instruct. I'm now looking for instructor liability insurance. I realize that the groups I instruct with (Hooked on Driving and Audi Club) have liability insurance for instructors but I'm taking a belt and suspenders approach.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

State farm in Fl does not cover DE's....
at least, the last time I read my policy they had changed the language... from timed speed to facility were racing could occur.

IMHO, crashing is low probability for the first few weekends... depending on the track and instructor. -that's the their number one priority. if you crash, they failed.

After ~3-4 weekends, not a bad idea.... but I hate insurance in principal.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 PM
tedfromohio
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Advised my agent that those in the know at Rennlist doubted I was covered so he took an actual look at my policy and now has decided that I am in fact not covered. Went to the PCA website and contacted the sponsoring ins co who advised that I couldn't buy insurance for a single event in Ohio but had to buy ins for a minimum of 6 events so now back to square one. Will try to contact Steve directly. Hate to not have insurance....
Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Steven Katz with ontrackinsurance.com is also good. He is also a member here.
Yup. Super easy and his assistant/partner is very flexible and as long as you let them know more than a day in advance, you can change things around. Not cheap, but fairly priced, and SUPER clear in that they cover.

State Farm in NY does not cover any longer, nor does Geico. Geico dropped me when I even asked. Excuse me. They "non-renewed" me.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:56 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

soooo......how was it Ted?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Sean OGorman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
They will, but they will be extremely difficult to deal with in the event of a claim and then will promptly drop you afterwords. Good friend of mine went through this with them.
Unfortunately, this is exactly the case. Every time someone turns in a claim for an accident at a DE, someone comes to me asking if it was racing. I show them the entry list, the event schedule, a picture of the car if I can find it, and examples (road racing, TT, autocross) that aren't covered by comparison. And each time, it becomes a pain in the *** for the customer because the adjuster never understands that you can drive fast on a race track and not have it be racing.

Westfield is a good company and there are a good number of racing friendly employees in our organization, hence the uncommon policy language allowing for DE coverage. Unfortunately, I'm basically the only one in claims who is aware of this, so you end up with situations like the above.

But yeah, you'll pretty much get dropped if you wreck at an event. The coverage is basically there to cover your *** if you wad up a car once, it isn't really intended to allow you to drive on track at 9/10ths with no financial repercussions if you crash.

Quick Reply: First DE -insurance question