Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 family aluminum control arms and ball joints: what is state of the situation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 05:26 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

thanks for taking the time to share your experience....

you've presented quite a lot to think about. in the link above, I wasn't sure if they'd be boring the 968 arm to fit the larger joint on a part that wasn't designed to be bored, using a larger arm or doing something else... I'll have to move up the learning curve before going ahead.... but, the $1,236.00 price for something that's proven is looking a lot better.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:57 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alan, this thread is what prompted me to have Andy Pohlman build me a set of arms for the 968. Same price as a set of new OEM arms, but with a bolt-on $15 VW ball joint. They also come with caster blocks, since his caster adjustment is a little different from the normal type. Tell him you want the 968 brake duct scoop tabs included.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:26 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

thanks Charlie.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:52 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by VaSteve
I bought a set from High Strung 944 last year. I have had them a year and they're pretty nice. They feature replaceable ball joints using the parts from the early cars.
Updated price and option list for High Strung 44 control arms:

Base control arms with 3 piece Teflon lined rod ends and stock style ball joints
Retail $1150.00

Base control arms with 3 piece Teflon lined rod ends and non stock longer length ball joints.
Retail $1350.00

Powder coating basic colors $75.00

All control arms are available in late or early off-set
All control arms, price also includes solid caster block.
No other parts need be purchased for installation.

Shipping is $20.00 in the US
Attached Images       

Last edited by 944Cup; 01-22-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:20 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Cup
Updated price and option list for High Strung 44 control arms:

Base Arms with solid caster blocks and stock style ball joints, early or late offset $975.00
Add : Teflon lined moly rod ends $175.00
Adjustable ball joints $200.00
Fixed inner pivots $175.00
Powder coating basic colors $75.00
Shipping is $20.00 in the US
So, where exactly does a person go to get more information or buy these things? Google is being recalcitrant ...
Old 01-09-2015, 09:45 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The question is how are spherical bearings going to hold up to abuse on the street in regards to contamination from dirt, salt, snow, rain, etc long term? A rubber control arm bushing will help protect from the abuse of potholes, etc that aren't normally found on a race track. Don't get me wrong (and those arms do look fantastic!), I run sphericals on my control arms on my car, but is a 95% track car that is inspected every couple hours of racing.

$1200 for a new set of 968 control arms that you will likely not have to replace for another 20 years......don't overlook what is a simple solution.

Rebuilt arms might last you a few years, they might not. I have seen them fail again with little use, and I have seen some rebuilt and still going strong!

My typical advise to customers, and it usually isn't far off, is that the cheapest solution is always the most expensive one in the end.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:00 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pfc. Parts
So, where exactly does a person go to get more information or buy these things? Google is being recalcitrant ...
You can email me at cup944@aol.com
Old 01-09-2015, 10:08 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
The question is how are spherical bearings going to hold up to abuse on the street in regards to contamination from dirt, salt, snow, rain, etc long term? A rubber control arm bushing will help protect from the abuse of potholes, etc that aren't normally found on a race track. Don't get me wrong (and those arms do look fantastic!), I run sphericals on my control arms on my car, but is a 95% track car that is inspected every couple hours of racing.

$1200 for a new set of 968 control arms that you will likely not have to replace for another 20 years......don't overlook what is a simple solution.

Rebuilt arms might last you a few years, they might not. I have seen them fail again with little use, and I have seen some rebuilt and still going strong!

My typical advise to customers, and it usually isn't far off, is that the cheapest solution is always the most expensive one in the end.
The High Strung 44 arms have been on the market since 2009. More are sold for street use than track use. There is no data on the specific climates or road conditions to which the cars with these arms are being driven. However, to date, no reported failures from buyers to the manufacturer involving the spherical bearings.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Weight and grip may play a role here. We see very few failures in lightweight, non-aero, 944 Spec cars. Most of them use the early steel arms. I have seen those crack from stiff antiswaybars. Once those are box welded, the next weak area is the inner barrel/pivot. These are so cheap that it is very economical just to time them out every season.

The one OEM ball joint that I saw fail had distinct machining marks that looked like significant stress risers. I forgot the brand but other brands looked better in this regard.

For the new LS swap, I am using the High Strung arms, which do look like a very soild piece with the 19mm extended ball joints. Now to fix the bump steer...
Old 01-09-2015, 07:23 PM
John@DSM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Sterling.
The stock steel arms are fine for street use and if you box them they are a great option for the track. If you track the car I would replace the ball joints year for $25/pr.
If you track more than a Spec car and want more strength and better geometry there are other options. I owned a set of Charlie Arms and they were very nice, but securing new pins was a challenge. I ended up changing to the Lindsey Racing arms and thought they were fantastic. They had taller pins for me which totally fixed the bump steer issue I had been experiencing and they were indestructible.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:17 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Weight and grip may play a role here. We see very few failures in lightweight, non-aero, 944 Spec cars. Most of them use the early steel arms. I have seen those crack from stiff antiswaybars. Once those are box welded, the next weak area is the inner barrel/pivot. These are so cheap that it is very economical just to time them out every season.

The one OEM ball joint that I saw fail had distinct machining marks that looked like significant stress risers. I forgot the brand but other brands looked better in this regard.

For the new LS swap, I am using the High Strung arms, which do look like a very soild piece with the 19mm extended ball joints. Now to fix the bump steer...
In addition to boxing the early arms and replacing the ball joints every year, you bring up a good point on the inner barrel. That should also be reinforced (wrapped) and welded with strap steel. Had two break on us at TWS, front right corner, two different cars, same turn on the track (1), within an hour of each other. We now reinforce that area in addition to boxing.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:28 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you guys explain or post a pic of the inner barrel pivot area?
Old 01-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John@DSM
I'm with Sterling.
The stock steel arms are fine for street use and if you box them they are a great option for the track. If you track the car I would replace the ball joints year for $25/pr.
Whoa, timeout.

I thought the whole problem was the ball joints were cast into the arm and couldn't be replaced? How do you replace them for $25/yr on the stock arms?
Old 01-10-2015, 04:16 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Whoa, timeout.

I thought the whole problem was the ball joints were cast into the arm and couldn't be replaced? How do you replace them for $25/yr on the stock arms?
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flatsics
Apparently the answer is you use the older steel arms, which allow you to replace the ball joints without replacing the arm...

Quick Reply: 944 family aluminum control arms and ball joints: what is state of the situation?