Looking for the right cable - AIM MXL

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:21 AM
nshanny
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the right cable - AIM MXL

Hi there,

I am looking to find the right cable to allow a USB connection from the AIM MXL Pista(?). I just purchased a used 2011 Cayman Interseries and I have this (attached) nice 4 pin round USB cable. I am looking for the correct mate. I purchased what I thought was the right one, but it turns out to be a 3 pin (not obvious from the retail photo). I have attached the photo. If anyone can help point me in the right direction, thank you!
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Talk to Jerry Austin or Peter Krause. I think Jerry has them in stock and I'm pretty sure Peter does (or at least can get one quick).

Will the new car be out this month?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

There's another USB connection possible, a female 1/8" phone plug in the left lower side of the MXL dash under the rubber cover, too.

The 3-pin you got was for an EVO 4. I have millions of those. You may be able to get the male 719-USB cable from Jerry, but if not, call Roanoke (AiM East)and they'll send one right out.

If you have a SmartyCam and the latest firmware on both the MXL and SC, you don't need a cable. Also, make sure you have the latest version of Race Studio 2 (2.48.00)

All of the data from the MXL is sent to the SmartyCam and recorded on an .smc compressed file on the microSD card.

To download it, take the card out, stick it in your computer, open Race Studio 2 and select "Import SmartyCam microSD data" and viola!

Assign driver, track, session, etc and you're done.
Attached Images  
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If you have a SmartyCam and the latest firmware on both the MXL and SC, you don't need a cable. Also, make sure you have the latest version of Race Studio 2 (2.48.00)

All of the data from the MXL is sent to the SmartyCam and recorded on an .smc compressed file on the microSD card.

To download it, take the card out, stick it in your computer, open Race Studio 2 and select "Import SmartyCam microSD data" and viola!

Assign driver, track, session, etc and you're done.
Peter,

Two questions,

How do I determine if I have the latest version of firmware on MXL and SmartyCam? My AIM is the older version with the smaller female plug and the cable works intermittently. I was going to convert to the USB, but if I can get the latest firmware and download the data from SmartyCam microSD, that would be great.

Is assign driver, track, session, etc the same steps as current, or new steps?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 01:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'll try and find an answer on the early unit, but you can scroll through and see what version is on the MXL. The firmware version is visible on start up on the SmartyCam.

Same steps as before assigning information to the run. Happens after the download process.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:03 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts

Not sure if this is on point (especially with Smarty being able to hold AIM DATA), but AIM also makes a USB Plug that you an put on the dash. Very convenient instead of the specialized USB->phono cord etc. You can go to any CVS, Best Buy etc and by the standard printer style cable (square printer style instead of mini or micro plug). I can't for the life of me find a link to the female port that they offer. Easy enough to mock up by hand, but this was a manufactured product.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Here's a link to the cable: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...aim-pista.html

I think the Data-on-the-SmartyCam-card is the coolest thing since sliced bread. Pull the chip, take it in the trailer or the toterhome and there you are!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:52 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But that doesn't take into account extra logging channels if I am not mistaken?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You are mistaken. All logged channels of the master logger (to which the SmartyCam is connected and operating as a Slave to) are sent to the card.

I know this works with MXL-Pista and Pro, EVO 3 Pista and Pro, EVO 4 and Solo DL.

I had to point this capability out to the US distributor!

So, with your Solo DL (connected to your car via the Autosport connector) and your SmartyCam acting as a slave to the Solo DL, you never have to connect the USB cable to the Solo DL for downloading again!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:07 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

So this post :

https://rennlist.com/forums/10321665-post34.html

Is just talking about the case where you download the dashboard data separately from the camera data.

To summarise:
If I install an EVO 4 logger with CAN connector and with an extra steering angle sensor, an MXL dash and a Smartycam, ALL the data being logged in the EVO logger (be it CAN data, steering angle, GPS etc) will be stored on the smartycam SD card.
Right?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Right. ALL logged channels (internal sensors, analog sensors and CAN data) are available on the mSD card of the slave SmartyCam.

Now, you should have me send you everything you need!

Last edited by ProCoach; 04-01-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

This is getting more confusing by the minute for me ...
Old 04-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another question along the same lines- can the Smarty Cam be transferred from one setup (SoloDL) to another (Mychron 4) and record as the slave unit, without reconfiguration of any of the systems? Is it, as they say, plug and play?

Peter, when are you getting the Smarty Cam HD?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Nick, the right way is to configure both the Solo DL and the MyChron 4 SmartyCam configurations in RS 2 and transmit to each logger. You have probably already done that.

Then, in SmartyManager, build two configurations, one for each logger (with the info and channels provided by each logger associated to their respective items on the screen) and transmit both to the SmartyCam. I.e. a Solo DL screen and a MyChron 4 screen.

Then the only thing you have to do is to change the AC config in settings when swapping the camera!

I'll ping you when I get them. 2-4 weeks is a wild a$$ guess.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I'll ping you when I get them. 2-4 weeks is a wild a$$ guess.
Friend of mine is the Belgian AIM importer and AIM Italy told him last week that it still will take a while before those units start shipping.

Quick Reply: Looking for the right cable - AIM MXL