Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rules

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013 | 08:42 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Default New Rules

I have been informed that because of the modifications on my car, I will need racing seats and harness if I plan on tracking next year (which I do).

Can anyone expand on this?
Old 03-31-2013 | 08:43 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Karen - What modifications and what rules are you referring to?
Old 03-31-2013 | 10:48 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

pics?

NEXT year? 2014????
Old 03-31-2013 | 10:59 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Karen England
I have been informed that because of the modifications on my car, I will need racing seats and harness if I plan on tracking next year (which I do).

Can anyone expand on this?
Please explain what mods have been done to the car, and what organization is telling you that seats and harnesses are required as a result.
Old 03-31-2013 | 11:42 AM
mdrums
Race Director

To DE?...never heard of harness requirement s just to DE other than at one time PBOC required this for Super Solo after so many Super Solo events
Old 03-31-2013 | 11:57 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Karen - What modifications and what rules are you referring to?
I am hoping Rob can help me out with this - please feel free to chime in
I am too much of a girlie girl to be a grease monkey (skin gets VERY dry from all the cleaning) and only do it out of necessity, so I haven't crawled around underneath too much. I understand my suspension is a performance modification.
Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
pics?

NEXT year? 2014????
Yes, 2014 - for 2013 I am alright.
Originally Posted by mglobe
Please explain what mods have been done to the car, and what organization is telling you that seats and harnesses are required as a result.
PCA is saying that cars with performance modifications (and no, I do not have a new engine ) will have to have harness/seats/mounting installed.
Originally Posted by mdrums
To DE?...never heard of harness requirement s just to DE other than at one time PBOC required this for Super Solo after so many Super Solo events
I don't think it is so much DE, but the car - sounds like it has to be 100% stock.
Old 03-31-2013 | 12:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Please cite the specific "regulation" because it sounds like BS.
Old 03-31-2013 | 12:07 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Please cite the specific "regulation" because it sounds like BS.
VR - I don't know it. My master mechanic was trying to give me a 'heads up' for next year, since we had discussed using a race seat this year (in '14 I HAVE to use it). I stand behind his word 100%.
Old 03-31-2013 | 12:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

For DE? Because you have a modified suspension?

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Again, please cite the specific "regulation".
Old 03-31-2013 | 12:17 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
For DE? Because you have a modified suspension?

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Again, please cite the specific "regulation".
I'll have to ask him and get back with you - he knows I will be doing DE's for awhile. He just wants to keep me legal.
Old 03-31-2013 | 12:23 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Karen, YOU need to go to the source ( PCA ) yourself. Make sure you are talking apples to apples not apples to oranges.
Old 03-31-2013 | 12:26 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

All sounds like BS for sure
Old 03-31-2013 | 12:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I do understand he wants to keep you legal, Karen. The question is a) what exactly does the referenced rule say and b) is this a recommendation or a requirement and if so, by who for what events...

Harnesses require multiple additional mountings to function properly, two of which (the shoulder harness mounts) are not generally available on most cars that participate in DE events. You must use a "harness bar," roll bar or roll cage to add those mounting points.

For any proper mounting of harnesses, there has to be an appropriate attachment point that does not use the seat as a "guide" for the shoulder belts. The standard three-point belts offer attachment points for the lap belts, a "sub" belt (a belt designed to prevent the lap belt from riding up into the squishy middle part of the abdomen when you tighten the shoulder belts, in your street or GT-car application) can be easily attached to the seat mounts or through the floor, but the shoulder belts are problematic.

Let's get some more specific information before you spend money or move in this direction.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 03-31-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2013 | 12:48 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Might be a region thing. I found this when I was looking at running with Chicago PCA at Blackhawk Farms

PCA Chicago Region has adopted the following rules pertaining to harness belts, race seats and rollover protection for participants in all Chicago Region drivers education events (DE) effective January 1, 2008.
Yellow, Green and Novice groups may run with stock seats and belts
White group requires a 5 or 6-point harness with proper race seat*, rollover protection highly recommended.
Black group requires a 5 or 6-point harness with proper race seat* and must be equipped at a minimum with a roll bar**.

* The race seat is required to have proper routing holes for the harness as supplied by the seat manufacturer for the shoulder and anti- submarine straps. Single piece race seats recommended. Race seats that have reclining articulation are approved for DE only.
**A bolt in or welded in roll bar is recommended. Roll bars must meet Club Racing Specifications and must be covered with closed cell foam padding in any place where a helmet could come in contact with the bar.
The above safety rule change was developed in response to PCA National’s harness recommendations approved in 2007 as follows:
Harness Systems: If the participant chooses to install a 5 or 6 point driving harness (four point systems are not safe and therefore not allowed) several changes to the automobile must be made to create a safe occupant restraint system. Harnesses must include an antisubmarine strap and be mounted in an approved manner consistent with the manufacturer’s instructions. The Harness system must be used in conjunction with a seat which has the supplied routing holes for the shoulder and anti-submarine belts. All pieces of the restraint system must be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
This means that a seat is required to have the proper routing holes for the harness as supplied by the seat manufacturer for the shoulder and anti-submarine straps. The shoulder straps should be mounted at 90 degrees to the axis of your spine or at most 40 degrees down from horizontal. Because the addition of the harness system means that the occupants are fastened upright in the vehicle, a properly padded roll bar or roll cage is strongly encouraged to complete the SYSTEM. The use of one without the other may result in an unsafe environment and is not a COMPLETE SYSTEM.
The changes we have adopted allow the driver to make the choice whether to install a harness or not. If participating in DE as a novice, green or yellow group driver at any of our Chicago events, stock lap belts are acceptable. If your proficiency allows, and you wish to progress to the faster White or Black group a harness and race seat is required.
Rollover protection is highly recommended for White group and required for the Black group. National’s DE safety standards also require equal restraints for student and instructor.
Equal Restraints: Both student and instructor shall have the same restraint system. All vehicles must be equipped with a properly installed lap and shoulder restraint system.
If you wish to have an instructor ride with you, or instruct a student in your car, both shall have the same restraint system. If you have installed a harness and race seat in the driver’s position but the stock seat and lap belt remain in the passenger side, the driver would have to use the stock lap belt (instead of the harness) and run in the Green or Yellow group when instructing or being instructed.

Seems the upper run groups require more safety equip than most regions.

Peter

Last edited by 85Gold; 03-31-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-31-2013 | 12:48 PM
jcs_911
Racer

What PCA region do you DE with?

Quick Reply: New Rules