Joe Gibbs Oil XP9

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:40 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Joe Gibbs Oil XP9

Hey guys,

Anyone using XP9? Thoughts? It's about $200 a case so I am wondering if worth it compared to Mobil 1. Or if anyone knows where to get it cheaper, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

JGR XP9 oil was briefly discussed in one on the recent religious oil threads over on the 996 forum. Here are a few of the points I remember. 1.) It is not just $200/case. Because their oils are based on entirely different chemical bases, they recommend you flush the crankcase with their Break-In oil for a few hours first. 2.) Once you flush, stay with JGR oils for street (DT-40?) and track (XP9). 3.) XP9 is a true race oil. It should never be used for more than 750 miles. Period. 4.) Because it is a true race oil, it can withstand track temps and demands much better than regular oils. Jake gave temperature numbers it can withstand. They were very high, but I don’t remember the exact number.

I DE on a real budget and this is one of those deals where you are “damned if you do and damned if you don’t”. Over an average 5 event season that is an extra $1000. Serious money, for sure. I am still on the fence about what to do.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hal
I DE on a real budget and this is one of those deals where you are “damned if you do and damned if you don’t”. Over an average 5 event season that is an extra $1000. Serious money, for sure. I am still on the fence about what to do.
Since you are on the fence, might I suggest a couple of much more cost effective alternatives? Both Motul 300V and Millers Nanodrive are great race oils, better than Joe Gibbs from what I've seen, and will last MUCH longer than the Gibbs stuff. You can get by with a single fill (about $200) a season with the Millers.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:04 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

My engine builder, a former Indy 500 rookie of the year and one of the two best in the country for my type of motor and my class of racing, recommends only JGR XP.

I would recommend you listen and use what your builder says to use. It is only for true, dedicated race applications, IIRC.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Joe Gibbs Oil XP9