Sponsored by:

COTA PCA Club Race Registration Opens Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 11:57 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, that stinks,

I can't think of any other point on the map that would go through Portsmouth to get to Austin. But I know what you mean, I've had my share of tickets on 52 heading to Ironton.

By the way one of my all-time favorite BBQ joints is the Scioto Ribber.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 702 Likes on 339 Posts

We are towing over from Florida via I-10 West two trucks and trailers if anyone wants to meet up and start a "convoy" along the way let me know, the more the merrier "10-4 good buddies"
Rich
Old 04-19-2013, 12:45 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Does anyone know the top speed at the track? Is the straight long? Seems like top speed will not be too high as there are tight turns before the straights.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

Mike, the straight between turns 11 and 12 is close to 3/4 of a mile long! Watching the Ferraris and Pirelli Cup cars last November from the Turn 12 stands, these guys were a long way into the top gear before entering the braking zones. I hope to see Patrick Lindsey of the Park Place team on Sunday and will ask him. I think the speeds will be at or better than what folks have seen at Road America. Admittedly, I've never driven Road America, but I understand it's quite a high-speed track. From what I've seen and observed at COTA, I'm guessing that there will be some Code BROWN moments for some folks trying to slow the cars down into some of these turns!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:52 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Does anyone know the top speed at the track? Is the straight long? Seems like top speed will not be too high as there are tight turns before the straights.
Mike

FWIW I was hitting 147mph in a 6GT3 street car on NT01 tires before braking for turn 12.

Peter
Old 04-19-2013, 04:33 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

<I realize this borderlines on advertising -- so if it crosses the line -- please feel free to delete>

I know there are a lot of folks who are coming from out of town and might need some
mechanics support at or near the COTA track for the Race/DE.

My mechanic friend Danny is a self learned Porsche mechanic. He services all my Porsche toys.
(Boxster, 928, Cayenne, 911 RSR, 924S, 944, & 951 - the last 4 being track cars)
Danny also races with us in Chumps and is instrumental in keeping that car alive.

Danny is a small time mechanic with a shop just on the other side of the Austin airport, less than 10miles
from COTA. Do note that he is deaf -- but that doesn't stop him from being a pretty good mechanic.
The shop is not pretty, but Danny is one of the most honest and straight forward mechanics I've ever known.

Danny is capable from anything from an engine rebuild to swapping brake pads.
He does not have tire or alignment equipment -- he does have a full lift at the shop.
I'm not sure if he has welding equipment or not at the shop, but I know he does weld.

I'm going to drag him with his tool kit out to COTA -- so ping me at mike@lonestarrpm.com and I will hook you up with Danny.

Aside from being a good friend -- and keeping his business alive is in my best interests, I do not
have any direct benefits to connecting Rennlisters with his mechanic skills at COTA.

cheers,

Mike
mike@lonestarrpm.com
Old 04-19-2013, 05:11 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 76 Posts

Top speed was about the same as road atlanta. Atl might be a little faster depending on how late down the hill you brake.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Actually they have changed the configuration for the amateur races , with the added chicanes, ideal gearing for a cup type platform should aim for @130-135mph....
Old 04-19-2013, 06:01 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Actually they have changed the configuration for the amateur races , with the added chicanes, ideal gearing for a cup type platform should aim for @130-135mph....
interesting, @ the back straight before T12?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
John, that stinks,

I can't think of any other point on the map that would go through Portsmouth to get to Austin. But I know what you mean, I've had my share of tickets on 52 heading to Ironton.

By the way one of my all-time favorite BBQ joints is the Scioto Ribber.
Holy cow...Let me know the next time you come through. The Ribber may be catering the Mid Ohio race They also have the Portsmouth Brewing Company...Should be a good time if it works out...You should come up for that one!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
interesting, @ the back straight before T12?
Since they are running e and cups together the e cars go straight and cups run chicane....
Old 04-19-2013, 07:06 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Since they are running e and cups together the e cars go straight and cups run chicane....
I like it, just need to add a figure 8 two way chicane on the front straight...for the survivors
Old 04-20-2013, 02:02 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
This is the way I read it.
I got my DE confirmation today and it says no T&T for DE, so that issue can be put to bed.

Peter, I'll try and find you just to say hi. The articles about data on your website have been interesting.

-Mike
Old 04-20-2013, 02:27 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

LOL!
Old 04-20-2013, 03:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,325 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I got my DE confirmation today and it says no T&T for DE, so that issue can be put to bed.

Peter, I'll try and find you just to say hi. The articles about data on your website have been interesting.

-Mike
Thanks, Mike. See you there. I'm under Musante's tent. Probably the only guy with a tie on...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: COTA PCA Club Race Registration Opens Tonight