Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My wreck at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:37 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

I respectfully submit that there should be some rethinking of what to do in Oh **** moments. I totally disagree with grabbing your belts. If we knew what was going on, it would not have happened in the first place. There is no reason to "now" assume we know what is going on and what to do about it. The professor said it best let the safety gear do it's work. If you grab belts and you are in a offset or multi-impact senario by grabing belts you may decrease your safety by unintentionally pulling them off the shoulder or HANS tail, especially when wearing HANS where belt retention is the most difficult aspect about it. I'm sorry to hear of Rob's loss, I have been there too, but not to pick on Rob but his actions pulled his head out of the head wing retention zone of the seat before mpact. The crash was not violent or multiple and he got away fine. If there was additional lateral impact he lost all head protection. IIRC in the Danica crash she pulls her arms up and fulcrums her hands on her brow, head back in the seat and takes the impact. I think that is the proper way. On Rob's next car please buy a proper right side net installed in the proper position. They are only 70 bucks and Drs. Gideon/Melvin claim that the RSN is one of the biggest bangs for the buck in safety gear.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
in the Danica crash she pulls her arms up and fulcrums her hands on her brow, head back in the seat and takes the impact. I think that is the proper way.
BINGO
Old 04-01-2013, 09:06 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a road car don't see a good way to put your hands up to your helmet without your head wanting to come foward/down. In a frontal impact your hands and arms are going to fly around if only being retained by your basic grasp as we all rag doll during a "hurt you" level G event. I was under the impression that crossing arms and getting feet off the pedals was unlock and protect them. Impact energies will likely overcome anyting we do to prevent movment of other bodyparts such as hold our heads. I would think you would not want your arms to act as fulcrums or levers. I suspect our arms are not strong enough, meat or bone, to help much if at all but could distort a movement pat enough to hurt. IIRC in the Danica impact her arms rag doll (can't see vid at work)
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're ok Rob and sorry for your loss. With all that BMW swapping going on in the NASA Mid Atlantic Region maybe there will be a leftover....
Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,311 Likes on 1,883 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
In a road car don't see a good way to put your hands up to your helmet without your head wanting to come foward/down. In a frontal impact your hands and arms are going to fly around if only being retained by your basic grasp as we all rag doll during a "hurt you" level G event. I was under the impression that crossing arms and getting feet off the pedals was unlock and protect them. Impact energies will likely overcome anyting we do to prevent movment of other bodyparts such as hold our heads. I would think you would not want your arms to act as fulcrums or levers.
^this^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

So I am going to take the counter point on this one. I'd rather "drive the car" until the bitter end. Maybe if I'm going absolutely dead straight into the wall I'd grab the belts, but short of that, I'm gonna try to at least minimize the hit.

Quick Reply: My wreck at VIR